Talk

Advanced search

Any colourists about? Having a hair disaster! !

(4 Posts)
KittenAndHerBear Wed 09-Dec-15 17:53:51

So I've had peacock blue hair for about 7 months. I bleached it first then just topped up the roots.

It's been annoying me lately though as it's only a semi permenant and rubs off on my pillow, turns my bathwater blue etc...

So I decided to go for a permanent purple.

I just bleached it and my roots are yellow/white and the back is still green.

A week ago I did a bleach bath. This time it was full bleach and still hasn't shifted.

If I put this purple over it what will happen? I can't leave it like this.

Please don't say go to a salon. I don't even have the money to get my fringe trimmed at the moment!

What can I doooo?

KittenAndHerBear Wed 09-Dec-15 17:55:19

The purple I have is the L'Oréal Feria purple: Violet vendetta.

Winterjoy Wed 09-Dec-15 18:31:00

Ok, so i am NOT a hairdresser but have had many, ahem, "adventures" with hair colour over the years. To be honest I consider myself pretty switched on, and researched colouring extensively online, so was surprised at how complex it is to get the desired colour when working over bleached hair (hellooo muddy green!!). Colourists definately earn their fee!

Here is some of the useful information I picked up along the way - this may or may not be useful to you in deciding what to do next:

You need to remember you are starting with a base of green so adding purple will probably not get you a nice purple result:

GREEN + PURPLE = "Purple and Green are almost opposites on the color wheel and when mixed together you will get a cool toned but hardly identifiable black-ish brown"

It really is quite difficult to get from green to purple since they are mixes of different primary colours (green = blue + yellow // purple = blue + red)

Since green is a mix of blue and yellow, to be honest I would probably try some temporary red to try and get a brown result (all three primary colours together will always make some kind of brown, shade dependent on quantities of each colour). If that works maybe try a permanent red to make the change longer lasting, but remember that all perm colours have bleach which may also skew the final colour.

You also need to take into account whether the colours you are using are warm or cool, as too many cool colours together over bleach = green. Some purples are cool, IDK whether L'Oreal Violet Vendetta would fall into that category. As far as I am aware all reds are warm, which is why if I have a green base, I would start by adding red and go from there.

Sorry I can't give any definite advice, good luck!!

KittenAndHerBear Wed 09-Dec-15 18:33:34

I've got the purple on and it looks like it's doing well!

There was a YouTube vid of a girl putting purple over green so I went for it. Wish me luck! 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now