Talk

Advanced search

Evening out: what else will I wear with my pointy ghillie flats?

(13 Posts)
HalfStar Tue 08-Dec-15 10:37:52

I usually go for quite a casual look so would pick jeans and T-shirt but I feel I should make more of a festive effort. Anybody got these kind of shoes? What do you wear them with?

LondonHuffyPuffy Tue 08-Dec-15 10:50:53

No but I want some!

If I had them I would wear skinny black trousers, probs 7/8 length (or whatever the current fashion world term is for trousers just on the ankle) a bit like this
possibly with fishnets underneath because I like the look of fishnets and flat shoes.

I would wear a more dressy top and a smart jacket or my leather jacket which is very plain. Lots of silver jewellery, probably quite heavy make-up (smoky eye) and rock chick hair

in fact, that's a look I want to be wearing right now (despite being at work). It would make me happy.

Where did you get your ghillie flats from? Next have some but they are too rounded in the toe for my liking.

HalfStar Tue 08-Dec-15 11:01:26

mmhmm mmhmm <nodding and taking notes> good ideas London. I am a gold jewellery girl but I will surely wear lots of it and YES to the smokey eye, god it's been over a year since I got to do one of those properly.

I can do the black trousers, they're actually jeans but will be fine. I have a leather jacket and a neat black blazer that goes with most everything.

The dressy top bit is perplexing me slightly because all of mine seem to be short sleeved and I'm not sure that's a look I want to pursue. I feel like I need some kind of slouch going on with my sleeves.

I got my ghillies in River Island! I fancied a real leather pair but knew I couldn't justify the cost since I'd only get to wear them a few times. Really happy with the RI ones - the tiny heel is a plus for me.

HalfStar Tue 08-Dec-15 11:05:11

I am actually now pondering the resurrection of a bright pink A-line miniskirt from the depths of my wardrobe - worn with some kind of long sleeved top tucked in, black tights, and the ghillies. And leather jacket.

Does that sound a bit naff?

LondonHuffyPuffy Tue 08-Dec-15 11:46:20

No that sounds lovely. I would wear semi-opaque tights though.

Those are lovely! And RI has styled it as you have just suggested. Gold jewellery would work just as well. I'm a silver kinda gal, gold makes me lok washed out. I am quite envious of people who can wear gold!

If you do go with the trousers look, black jeans are fine.

I just worked out what it is I love about ghillie flats... they remind me of being a teenager! I used to wear pointy flat goth shoes, and I also had the loveliest pair of purple suede ghillie shoes with purple sating ribbon. Man, I loved those shoes. I still err on the side of rock chick even though I am ancient.

nilbyname Tue 08-Dec-15 11:49:31

No to the skirt- demo naff, and you'll lose the shoes in the outfit.

Defo trousers/jeans, if you're going all out with the eye make up then a plan top worn under your blazer will be perfect. I would add one statement bit of jewlerry- maybe an ear cuff?

HalfStar Tue 08-Dec-15 12:04:11

I'm WFH today so had a quick try on of the skirt blush
Yeah it doesn't work with the shoes really, even with 30denier tights (it is however v nice with leopard print flats, note to self).

So maybe I will do a slouchy T-shirt, blazer, 7/8 jeans, and the shoes. Which is no great style departure for me but maybe that's OK.

I'd love an ear cuff nilby! Yes! Off to scour ASOS.

keeponkeepinon Tue 08-Dec-15 16:27:54

Ooo like those from river Island! they are rather beautiful in bright red too but I think my skin is too white to pull it off. I fancy these for Christmas nights out, do ypu think they are good for that? I'm a shortie and really I need the height but these will be brill for dancing in. Peacocks have some really cheap onesbut quite a rounded toe. Not sure if this sort of takes away from the look?

HalfStar Tue 08-Dec-15 17:45:50

Keepon I did a fair bit of looking around and felt the RI ones were nicest for the price. I wanted a pointy toe and a bit of support on the sole. I'm short too but can't be arsed with heels anymore. But these shoes are comfy and a bit dressy.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Tue 08-Dec-15 17:46:31

Ceilidh shoes! You must wear them with a tartan taffeta frock and Alice band

HalfStar Tue 08-Dec-15 17:52:23

My 8 year old self would be very jealous of my 32 year old self only

<slightly panicking am far too old for these shoes>

keeponkeepinon Tue 08-Dec-15 18:00:30

Are the ri ones comfy then half? Sorely tempted to try them on at my local store.

nilbyname Tue 08-Dec-15 18:37:56

You're most definitely not too old! Have a word with yourself!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now