Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've been getting dressed for 40+ yrs and have just realised I might be doing it wrong!

(26 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 08-Dec-15 08:27:28

As the Mickey Flanagan sketch goes I'm a woman who loves a new top. I've got lots of them, more than jeans or trousers or skirts.

The mistake (I think) I've been making is that when pulling my clothes out for the day I always plan around which bottoms I am wearing first. Lots of tops lie languishing in my wardrobe as I just reach for the same stuff day after day!

Just to experiment for a week or two I am going to choose clothes for my top half first.

Has anyone else noticed this? Which do you choose first (unless of course you're wearing a dress)?

EmilyPunkhurst Tue 08-Dec-15 09:01:13

I choose my shoes first. Shoes are my favourite part of dressing. Bit like eating your favourite food on the plate first.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 08-Dec-15 15:21:28

I think that I've been choosing bottoms first as they get worn more than once generally (or because they are closer to me, in a chest of drawers, when I dry off after showering).

I have to walk around the bed and cot to get to my side of the wardrobe and get to tops so that is probably why they get chosen last.

Never thought of shoes! fgrin

patterkiller Tue 08-Dec-15 15:26:38

I'm too fat for my clothes atm.

amarmai Tue 08-Dec-15 15:33:45

i pick a color to help me get dressed. It leads to me recycling items i have 'forgotten' i had in order to coordinate my outfit.

burnishedsilver Tue 08-Dec-15 16:02:34

This is where the dress saves the day - one item and you're pretty much done.

janinlondon Tue 08-Dec-15 16:13:08

Shoes first. You cannot walk to or from a tube or train station in pouring rain in anything suede, or with open toes, etc. Weather dictates footwear. So start from the ground up. I cant imagine how anyone does it any other way.....?

P1nkP0ppy Tue 08-Dec-15 16:16:37

Crumbs, I've been clearly doing it wrong too!
I start with bottoms or a dress if can't decide.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 08-Dec-15 16:19:52

I wouldn't base what I'm wearing for the day on shoes or boots so they are last on my list but always weather appropriate (I rarely drive).

cece Tue 08-Dec-15 16:26:35

I lie in bed and plan my outfit for the next day before I go to sleep.

My tops are inevitably plain black. For this reason, I tend to start with the bottom (although, to be honest, those are often black too!).

cheapskatemum Tue 08-Dec-15 21:06:04

blush patterkiller do you go around naked? How liberating! I love dresses as they solve this problem nicely, but with 4 DSs & 2 Ddogs, dresses aren't particularly practical otherwise. Like you, OP, I think I always choose bottom half first. I think I'll join you in choosing tops first for a change.

HopeClearwater Tue 08-Dec-15 21:08:57

Noel Gallagher says to dress from the shoes up. I don't know if this helps...

Stasie Tue 08-Dec-15 21:11:02

Oh dear...I look at what is on the floor from the previous day and wear that! If it looked and felt reasonable and is still relatively clean.

I struggle when I have to put a different outfit together. It can't be that hard FFS but there are too many decisions and too many factors to consider...mainly what allows random breastfeeding, doesn't expose too much of my sagging body and isn't too tight round the middle...

<cries>

Etak15 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:14:37

Ha ha stasie are you me?

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 08-Dec-15 21:25:08

cece do you find planning your outfit before you go to sleep relaxing?

It would do the opposite to me!

Hope didn't think I'd be getting Noel Gallagher tips in S&B! fgrin

Stasie Tue 08-Dec-15 21:25:31

<embraces fellow useless dresser> flowers grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 08-Dec-15 21:52:27

Fortunately for work, I wear a uniform, so I don't have to think hard beyond clean underwear and tunic.

For Real Life, I start with the bottom half. Am I doing housework (leggings) and I going out (need things I don't need to faff with going to the loo)

For top half - are my armpits presentable blush

PigletJohn Tue 08-Dec-15 21:56:04

I start with the tie.

eyestightshut Tue 08-Dec-15 21:59:40

PigletJohn on style and beauty?? Is there no end to this man's talents??

unpackyoursuitcase Tue 08-Dec-15 22:18:04

Top first, then trousers, then socks, downstairs,, look at weather, choose footwear x

cece Tue 08-Dec-15 22:46:41

I do find it relaxing as then I don't have to worry about it in the morning. I have SN child so usually don't have a moment to spare in the morning - getting them ready for school and me ready for work.

Lightbulbon Wed 09-Dec-15 06:53:41

I try to find anything that's clean and doesn't have holes in it then put it on.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 09-Dec-15 07:02:54

I start with the bottom, which 99% of the time is jeans, all my tops go with them. Footwear is weather dependent and decided just before I go out the door, I sometimes have to go back upstairs for socks if the weather is worse than I had thought.

Stasie Wed 09-Dec-15 07:55:30

Piglet John.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now