Talk

Advanced search

Can we have a foundation thread?

(25 Posts)
iwannadancewithsomebody Mon 07-Dec-15 22:37:39

I'm in need of a new foundation.

I have very oily skin and have to blot and reapply during the day if I can be bothered or remember Ideally I would like a foundation that does stay put and looks like it is there, iykwim?

I have tried double wear but that was too cakey, various Clinique and most recently Revlon Colour stay which I quite liked but couldn't get the right shade. I have also tried Estee Lauder Ever Matt which was ok.

I'm not sure if what I'm looking for exists for oily skin but I would like my foundation to look fresh throughout the day.

Moodyblue1 Mon 07-Dec-15 22:44:58

I have oily skin but hate the caked on look so I don't really go for matte foundations, I like Chanel vitalumiere Aqua, Clinique even better, no7 airbrush finish, Estée Lauder double wear light. I normally need to do a little touch up through the day though.

MrsMarigold Mon 07-Dec-15 22:49:22

I find using benzoyl peroxide and the pill reduces greasiness, then Laura mercier for older skin rocks, people have recently commented on what nice skin I have!

Mrsunders86 Mon 07-Dec-15 23:01:42

Do you just put foundation on by itself? I use a matte primer, foundation, and a layer of powder over top, I can be a bit oily but tends to stay put..and the powder doesn't look powdery if that makes sense. If it needs touching up I just dab some more powder on. I'm using Smashbox photo finish primer (expensive but worth it and goes a long way) and No7 foundation and Powder..

lurkingabit Mon 07-Dec-15 23:28:39

I used to be v oily and searched endlessly and spent far too much looking for a long wear foundation that didn't make me look like an alien pretending to be human. Short answer is: there isn't one. Did the primer, powder etc etc. You name it, I tried it. Still shone like a beacon by noon while the foundation slid like a landslide down around my ankles.
Chanel Aqua vitalumiere is good, I like the soft glow. Giorgio A luminous silk is good too. But but but you will still need to faff about with blotting papers (Shiseido, good but cruelly expensive, Clean and Clear are ok but a bit powdery) and reapply during the day.

The good news is I am pushing 50 late 40s, and my skin has stopped pumping out oil like an North Sea oil rig. I now have fairly normal skin!

Don't forget the SPF. I've tried plenty. This is by far the best I've come across for oily skin. Excellent protection and is like a mat tufting primer.

lurkingabit Mon 07-Dec-15 23:31:32

Like a mat tufting primer?? Wtf. I meant mattifying. Good ole auto correct and lack of proof reading.

iwannadancewithsomebody Tue 08-Dec-15 06:30:47

Thank you all.

I have tried primer but didn't find it done anything, have even tried Lanacane but the smell was awful!

lurking thank you. I think you have summed it up for me, although at 32 I think I've got a few years before I "dry up"!

I do use a moisturiser with SPF 15 in it

tigerdog Tue 08-Dec-15 06:43:58

I too am in search of a good foundation - have combination skin prone to very dry and oily patches - great.

I did actually try a really good one this weekend - YSL fusion. Apparently brought out to rival Estée Lauder double-wear but without the cake factor. It did feel and look lovely - it managed to be matt without being powdery - worth checking out for your requirements I would say. It's my front runner at the moment for my wedding.

Lanacane gel doesn't have a smell. Did you use the cream rather than the gel? The gel is the one that is very similar to Smashbox.

MrsMarigold Tue 08-Dec-15 10:29:36

I tried Lanacane gel after reading about it on here and it brought me out in spots sad

gonegrey56 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:56:52

YSL fusion ink is fantastic . Perfect for my combination skin . Get a sample to try (they come in dinky little pots) . Coverage without cake-like finish . Double wear light is my second preference but the shades are wrong for my pale skin (too yellow) .
Do try the YSL one ! Highly recommended and I have tried them all...

TheGreenTriangle Tue 08-Dec-15 14:03:20

Have you tried a stick foundation? I've used various ones from Chantecaille, EL and currently Bobbi Brown (classic oily t-zone) with MAC's Blot powder on top. I find the stick formula stays put compared to liquids and depending on how heavy you go, not too "cakey".

fresta Tue 08-Dec-15 14:15:48

I use Teint Idole from Lancome. It has a natural finish and lasts without being cakey and is soo blendable. My only problem is it does contain alcohol which is supposed to be not great for skin, so I use with a good layer of serum and moisturiser. I have tried loads of foundations and keep returning to this. Would love to find an alcohol free and sunscreen free alternative though. Nars All Day luminous foundation is next on the list to try.

fresta Tue 08-Dec-15 14:22:57

Apparently the YSL Fusion also has large amounts of alcohol.

Tate15 Tue 08-Dec-15 14:27:28

First of all, I am old, so my skin has different needs to some of you younger ladies.

I have bought every tinted moisturiser,,bb, cc and every brand and type of foundation known to mankind during the last 35 years +!grin

I've paid lots of money and I've bought cheap and everything in between!

I walk my dogs in all weathers, when I work I have to look good over 10 hours at a time.

I moved recently and when through my make up hoard. I have dozens of foundations, many used only once or twice.

On a whim I bought the collection 2000 lasting foundation when I saw a woman with great looking make up and skin purchase it and I struck up a conversation with her. Like me she has bought and tried them all but discovered the collection 2000 through her daughter.

What can I say, it is very cheap, shades are limited but it beats hands down Lancôme, Clinique, Armani, Clarins, prescriptives, shiseido, Dior and all of the popular big named brands, hands down!

My skin looks years younger but natural when I apply it. I use their concealer and matching powder but to be honest the powder could be any powder.

I use a tiny amount and apply with a brush, it does not budge in over 10 hours! It covers well but also looks like my own skin but perfect!

I've never been so impressed with such a cheap product. Try it, you only have a couple of quid to lose.

Tate15 Tue 08-Dec-15 14:30:38

Review here which I feel is spot on

herroyalhighstreet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/review-collection-2000-lasting.html?m=1

gallicgirl Tue 08-Dec-15 14:32:03

I've had Clinique in the past and been quite happy with it. I'm considering Younique- the videos look amazing but I'm uncertain if it's worth the hype.

I'm quite pale so I find I'm further limited by shades available.

extrastrongblackcoffee Tue 08-Dec-15 14:34:19

I bought the YSL serum foundation at the weekend. Good colour match. I'm very pale. My main problem areas are rosey cheeks and nose and large, visible pores around the sides of my nose. Whereas the coverage isn't as good as I'd hope ( say it was a builderupper, which is something I specifically said I didn't want. angry ) it does glide over and make pores look less visible and because of the serum, it does leave a dewy finish. OP, I would probably avoid a foundation with serum. You're best to go for a matte finish.

Really wanted to try the previously mentioned Chanel vitalumiere aqua. Wish I had now, as I'm a little on the fence with the YSL one.

tigerdog Tue 08-Dec-15 15:25:11

www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/yves-saint-laurent/_/Fusion-Ink-Foundation

Quite a negative reviews of the fusion making me think again...

Botanicbaby Wed 09-Dec-15 00:17:24

I know a lot of people dislike this product but I have been converted to bareminerals bare skin brightening serum foundation (the swirly round brush applicator is a must, it goes further and looks flawless). I find a few drops are all that is needed and although I have dry-ish skin, it doesn't settle in wrinkles or look caked I hope. A bottle lasts me approx 5 months and I wear foundation every day.

The bare linen shade is perfect for skin that is neutral e.g. neither pinkish nor yellow toned.

iwannadancewithsomebody Wed 16-Dec-15 20:59:26

I bought the collection one and I have to say I am very impressed! It does last all day with minimal touch ups. Now to see if it last through the party season fwink

GeorginaWorsley Wed 16-Dec-15 21:21:26

I'm always on foundation threads grin
I tried EL double wear, Dior forever, Clarins everlasting, Colour stay , Bourjois healthy mix etc etc.
After reading lots if positive comments on here about Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua on here I bought this in July and love it.
My other change us to cleanse with Miscellar water and skip moisturising.
I use moisturiser at night but just Benefit Porefessional under make up.

iwannadancewithsomebody Thu 17-Dec-15 07:28:48

Georgina I might give that a try when I get my birthday money next month and get to a town that has a Chanel counter!

ginorwine Thu 17-Dec-15 22:20:20

Rmk from selfridges .fantastic .very elastic feel and very smooth .

LoadsaBlusher Thu 17-Dec-15 23:53:43

I like Dior Star , I can get an oily t zone and I don't have to reapply when wearing this.
Gives great coverage and although expensive a bottle lasts me around 4 months so I feel it's worth it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now