Talk

Advanced search

Have I ruined my jeans or did I buy the wrong size?

(15 Posts)
elfontheshelf2015 Mon 07-Dec-15 16:54:29

I've just invested in the most expensive pair of jeans I've ever bought - a pair of paige skyline skinnies at £185. They fit me perfectly when new, and I asked the shop assistant who assured me they wouldn't stretch (a claim also made on the label). I carefully checked the care label before washing them and meant to wash them at 30 (they say cold wash so I thought that would be OK?) but stupidly in my sleep deprived state set the dial on the machine to 40 by mistake. Now they seem to have grown a bit round the waist, seem saggier at the knees, and aren't feeling so much like a second skin. Do you think I have made them stretch by washing too hot or should I have sized down? If the former, is there anything I can do about it?! Thanks in advance!

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 07-Dec-15 19:37:40

I have a few pairs of these and always wash them at 40 so I don't think that's it if that's any help!

MsMims Mon 07-Dec-15 19:41:47

Take them back and explain what's happened. I took jeans back to next that had stretched after washing (although on the correct temp) so I'd expect a brand that expensive to take them back too.

Athrawes Tue 08-Dec-15 06:18:48

But don't tell them you washed at 40.

superbfairywren Tue 08-Dec-15 10:30:57

What cotton content do they have? I wash jeans at 40 and tumble dry and they are always skin tight when I first put them on again, when I air dry them they are looser. Can you stick them in a tumbler for a while to see if that helps? If they've not got much stretch in them they might just loosen with time but wouldn't expect jeans that expensive to do it that quickly!

DavetheCat2001 Tue 08-Dec-15 10:55:48

I'm watching this thread as I have just purchased and received a pair of Paige Skyline straight cut jeans in a size 27, which I thought should fit (if anything I was a bit worried they may be a bit on the tight side).

Anyway they fit beautifully round the waist/bum etc, but they are so long I think they must be designed for 6ft Californian women, and they do seem to bag a bit at the knees.

Because mine aren't the skinnies, I'm thinking I shouldn't expect them to be skin tight, and actually I think it is the length that makes them look more baggy.

Today is the first day I have worn them so haven't seen what they are like after washing, but from all the reviews I have read about Paige jeans, they should keep their shape well and not bag.

Where did you get yours from OP? I ordered mine online via Revolve Clothing and they took an age to arrive, so sending them back isn't filling me with joy!

I was thinking of getting a pair of the skinny Skylines..are they really long too?

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 08-Dec-15 19:20:23

I find the standard length of all Paige jeans ridiculously long (I think they're about 36" inside leg) but their ankle crops fit me perfectly as "normal" full length jeans. It's my top tip for any fellow shortarses (I'm 5'3") as for once I can buy jeans without needing them to be shortened.

Another tip is that Paige are usually reduced well in seasonal sales. My Wardrobe used to be the best place to buy them before it went under but I've also bought them reduced from Matches and the Dressing Room. They are also occasionally available at TKMaxx - I bought 2 pairs there in the summer for less than £40 each!

elfontheshelf2015 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:07:22

Hey thanks for all the replies...sorry have been slow to post, day from hell with DCs today!

Mine are a 27 too davethecat... I would normally expect to be a 28 so didn't try the size down. They were v comfy from the off though, maybe I should have been aiming for a tight feel? I got them from house of fraser as part of a personal shopper service. In fact all the other jeans he brought me in a 27 wouldn't go near me! Length wise they are definitely not long, I guess they are a cropped style? Sit on my ankle bone, I am 5'7".

I'm not sure what to do now- scared to tumble as the instructions say not to. But also not sure if I can return them! Both cos it feels a bit cheeky and because it's such a huge effort with DCs 3 and 10mo. Guess if I decide not to try returning them I may as well give the tumble dryer a go as will have nothing to lose...

Btw the label says 54% rayon, 23%cotton, 22% polyester and 1% spandex... Not sure what this means for the way forward!

DavetheCat2001 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:49:14

hmm, the straight leg one's are really long. I ended up turning them up, which actually looked ok with my Gola trainers.

I do fancy getting a pair of the Skyline skinnies. £40 for a pair was a total bargain my cat! Great find!

Maybe you could try and give them a quick tumble on a coolish setting, elf? I don't own a tumble drier myself so not able to offer any real help..sorry. I can feel your pain though.

elfontheshelf2015 Thu 10-Dec-15 07:07:45

Sorry, just came back to say thanks, hope yours stay well fitting Dave! I will decide what to do with mind if and whe vu get any space back in my brain...

elfontheshelf2015 Thu 10-Dec-15 07:08:08

*when I

mirpuppet Thu 10-Dec-15 18:33:22

Do not dry -- Rayon tends to skrink in length in my experince.

I tested a piece of 100% rayon. The composition of your jeans is different.

elfontheshelf2015 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:25:39

Thanks mirpuppet!

bishboschone Mon 14-Dec-15 21:15:05

I would email house of Fraser and explain to them what happened and you are disappointed .. They should be fit for purpose and if they told you they wouldn't stretch then they should refund you .. If you deal with the head office they are much more likely to agree than a sales assistant .. Be polite but firm ... I'd bet furious if I'd spent £185 and they had got bigger .. It's my big bear !!!

bishboschone Mon 14-Dec-15 21:15:21

Bug bear even !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now