Talk

Advanced search

Is lace over now...?

(62 Posts)
80sWaistcoat Mon 07-Dec-15 16:23:32

teal lace

As a poster said on her to me a couple of days ago - 'maybe we are all over the lace now...'

But, ordered the above, waiting for it to arrive, for a Christmassy dinner out with friends. 46, good tits, hoping its going to look nice and not 'a bit last year.'

What do you think?

whatiswrongwithyou Mon 07-Dec-15 17:46:57

This is my "own" personal opinion, I'm 43 and wouldn't wear anything with lace - that dress just screams "middle aged frumpy women" to me - sorry! But I'd be looking for something far less fussy

KateSpadeAddict Mon 07-Dec-15 18:17:40

It is ok, I wouldn’t think so last year but it is definitely something that my Mum would wear. I even think a finer lace would be better smile

What about,

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Adrianna+Papell+3/4+Sleeve+wrap+top+sequin+skirt/205196492,default,pd.html

Or this with black tights,

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Oasis+Romana+Lurex+Dress/232952803,default,pd.html

BlueEyedWonder Mon 07-Dec-15 19:35:21

I bought a black lace top from Sara this season so I'm saying lace definitely isn't over!

80sWaistcoat Mon 07-Dec-15 19:53:15

Too fussy, I did wonder if it was a bit frumpy. Like the bronze dress, but might not be v forgiving!

KateSpadeAddict Mon 07-Dec-15 20:01:20

A looser version?

www.asos.com/asos/asos-metallic-wrap-kimono-midi-dress/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5699550&clr=Silver&SearchQuery=wrap+dress&pgesize=194&pge=0&totalstyles=194&gridsize=3&gridrow=7&gridcolumn=3

This with some gold or silver big accessories would be lovely

www.asos.com/asos/asos-kimono-wrap-dress-in-mono-floral/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4550287&clr=Print&SearchQuery=wrap+dress&pgesize=194&pge=0&totalstyles=194&gridsize=3&gridrow=51&gridcolumn=2#ctl00_ContentMainPage_mainImage3

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 07-Dec-15 20:21:41

this is surprisingly nice in rl

Awks Mon 07-Dec-15 20:52:54

I've just bought this in black and it is the nicest dress I've had in years lovely

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 07-Dec-15 21:07:46

Awks, the link doesn't work for me! Need to see this lovely dress please...

Magicrealism Tue 08-Dec-15 07:26:34

I think it probably is "over", although it is also classic if you get the right one. I recently bought this lace dress from jigsaw. It is a fantastic cut and does wonders for my shape. The lace is very good quality too. I don't feel at all frumpy in it and although it is not fashion it suits me.
There's a lot of velvet making a return right now velvet is the new lace.

FundraisingPTABitch Tue 08-Dec-15 14:04:20

I think the lace in the selfportrait dresses is amazing to look at, even wear. I just wish the quality of material used justified the prices.

Silkfred has amazing dresses that look similar in far more justifiable ranges.

Jakana Tue 08-Dec-15 15:21:17

So overdone, so everywhere, so boring, so yester year!

EmilyPunkhurst Tue 08-Dec-15 16:39:10

I'm not really clear what you're saying Jakana - you're maybe a bit on the fence? grin

Higge Tue 08-Dec-15 16:43:18

Nice dress magic

Magicrealism Tue 08-Dec-15 17:09:47

Thank you Higge. I'm really happy with it.

StrapOnDodo Tue 08-Dec-15 17:26:48

I can't buy lace without my mother's voice saying

'That's very stylish but how does it wash'

Which was code for 'I hate it-don't buy it'smile

strawberryandaflake Tue 08-Dec-15 17:32:01

The lace thing was so over last year. So were sheer sleeves.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Tue 08-Dec-15 17:45:37

As my v stylish grandma used to say dismissively of certain people 'always in fashion NEVER in style'. If you feel lovely in a lace frock wear it. I wouldn't worry unless you hang out with Ann wintour

polyhymnia Tue 08-Dec-15 18:16:57

Agree it's no longer fashionable and has been done to death but can still be classic in a good way, if it's the right style and fabric. The particular dress in the OP looks way too frumpy to me - I'd feel too 'matronly' in it and I'm older than you.

Orangeanddemons Tue 08-Dec-15 18:22:47

I think unless you are very very careful, lace can look trashy and cheap, especially polyester lace. That Kaliko dress looks cheap, the Jigsaw dress doesn't. Mainly because the sleeves have cut out hems on the Jigsaw dress, whereas the Kaliko ones are just turned under.

I think it's very very hard to wear lace and look good.

Destinysdaughter Tue 08-Dec-15 18:36:36

I thought it was nice because both the colour and style would suit me. As I have big boobs and am an 'Autumn', I've accepted that a lot of what is fashionable won't work on me and just go for things that suit me. Fashions come and go but if you have a shape that's difficult to dress I think you have to accept that. That's one of the great things about getting older, not caring what's ' in' and doing your own thing!

ProjectPerfect Tue 08-Dec-15 18:43:00

The right lace dress is a classic.

The lace on this dress is too coarse and doesn't look right with the ruching - it's just too much and the result is it looks a bit cheap

BabyGanoush Tue 08-Dec-15 18:44:43

Go for what suits you

Look good, be comfortable

the expresions "soo last year!" And "sooo over" are a bit retro imo, it's sooo 2013 to denounce something as "sooo 2014"

Orangeanddemons Tue 08-Dec-15 18:56:07

www.chotronette.com/shop/this these people know how to do lace properly. Totally irrelevant to this thread and I'd never wear them, but I just like to look and drool!

ChippyOikInTinsel Tue 08-Dec-15 19:01:18

Damn, I bought a lace phase-eight dress and I haven't even worn it yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now