Talk

Advanced search

How to work out make up for a new hair colour

(5 Posts)
Lilipot15 Mon 07-Dec-15 13:29:51

So I have another thread about my change back to darker hair after years of blonde highlights that built up to look harsh, yellowy and "blocky".

I think I need to rethink my make up which is very neutral. How would I go about finding out what suits my new hair colour and skin tones - are there some counters which are better than others? I tend to wear lots of Clinique. I hate HD brows and don't have much time. Just need someone sensible who will recommend colours to suit not make me look totally overdone!

Lilipot15 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:38:07

Anyone?

Favouritethings Tue 08-Dec-15 07:27:47

I'd recommend going to a make up counter and getting your make up done

Tisgrand Tue 08-Dec-15 07:48:53

I think you need to visit lots of counters, and find a SA who you like and you feel gives good advice. I did that last year after going much darker. I found some SA's didñ't really listen to me and were just determined to push a load of strongly coloured stuff at me. I eventually found two excellent ladies, one on the Dior counter and one on the Estee Lauder one. Try to get samples before you buy, get them to do a makeover on you, explain that you will be spending a lot of money so want to be very sure that you'll use the stuff you buy (not necessarily true, you can replicate the looks you like with budget brands!). I kept my regular foundation but I use a bronzer to contour and warm up my face a bit. Best bronzer I found by a mile, is a matte Rimmel one, its not too dark, not too light, not orangey, not glittery, doesn't look "dirty" on. Was recommended the perfect colour powder eyeshadow by Bobbi Brown SA for my eyebrows. I think its a colour called Cement and looked way too light in the container.

Lilipot15 Tue 08-Dec-15 09:04:39

Is there a particular brand which is good at dealing with folk who don't actually know much about make up? Should I pick a sales assistant who has nice subtle make up herself (someone of them scare me off by looking too made up which is definitely not the look for me!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now