Talk

Advanced search

What's going on with H&M sizing?

(16 Posts)
MrsClusterfuck Mon 07-Dec-15 12:10:16

I was in our local store at the weekend looking for jeans. I'm a size 8-10 in most shops and don't usually have a problem with H&M clothes size-wise but their jeans were tiny! The size 10s I found were more like size 4s - in the end the smallest pair I could fit into was a size 14. I bought them anyway as they still fit nicely but I'm most definitely not a size 14 anywhere else.

What have they done with their sizing? Is this a recent thing?

DPotter Mon 07-Dec-15 12:14:59

Its always been indecipherable to me along with GAP. You have to ignore the size on the label, go by looking and try everything on. Or do what I do and not shop there anymore

NeedsAMousekatool Mon 07-Dec-15 12:19:48

Not new. Many years ago I tried on an outfit, I was a 12 on top 14 on bottom in most shops. A size 10 top fitted nicely, I thought the trousers looked small on the hanger so I lifted a 16 - couldn't get them close to zipping up, I would have needed a size 20 for them to have fitted. I was not then and never have been even close to a size 20.

MrsClusterfuck Mon 07-Dec-15 12:27:23

I had a H&M voucher hence the need to buy from them. But I won't be rushing back, I found it too confusing and I get enough of that during my everyday life as it is. grin

superbfairywren Mon 07-Dec-15 13:21:24

Even the staff admit the sizing is ridiculous. I struggle as I like the clothes in h and m and think a lot of it is really good value so I end up trying things on in every size!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Mon 07-Dec-15 13:27:09

It's a pain in the arse as have to do most of my h&m shopping online.

Floisme Mon 07-Dec-15 13:34:43

I'm a big H&M fan but I agree the sizing is bizarre. I'm normally 8-10 but can be anything up to a 14 there. I think they just change their suppliers so often that there's no consistency.

It doesn't put me off shopping there - I just make sure I always try on at least 3 sizes - but I'd never order online

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Mon 07-Dec-15 13:36:59

Their trousers seem relatively true to size for me, unless you go for skinny cut.

I have no idea what the fuck changes between their straight leg and skinny cuts, but woah.

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 07-Dec-15 14:47:54

Kids sizes in H&M are the worst. Why do they span two years? 7-9. I'm sorry but a 7 year old is very different in size to a 9 year old. Really annoys me. Although tbf the quality of the kids clothes is so naff that I rarely buy from there any more.

DownstairsMixUp Mon 07-Dec-15 15:01:20

Never go H&M anymore because of this. At one point I had a size 12 pair of trousers and a size 8 top (that was too big) from there. WTF? If anything I am bigger on the top because of my boobs and I am a 10 on the bottom everywhere else.

EmmaWoodlouse Mon 07-Dec-15 16:41:55

I find H&M clothes that come in sizes like 12, 14 etc are normally 2 sizes too small (which means I can't get a true fit for my current size in there at all), but the t-shirts and tube skirts that just come in S M L are much bigger than you'd expect! So at size 18 I would need size 22 in their trousers etc, but can comfortably fit into a size M tube skirt. What's that all about?

Floisme Mon 07-Dec-15 16:53:22

I don't think there's any point in trying to make sense of it. I just ignore the size labels and keep trying on until I find one that's right. It's a faff but at the moment, I find a lot of their basic stuff is very wearable and, for the price, suprisingly good quality. So I think it's worth the effort. As soon they stop doing stuff I like, I'll be off.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Mon 07-Dec-15 16:53:42

I think it's been noted here before. I'm 10 pretty much everywhere (or even an 8 in some places) but usually at least a 12 in H&M. Can be a 14 even.

OTOH, I've bought their leggings in an XS as the Small were too big!

Bananajam Mon 07-Dec-15 18:34:49

I am a standard size 14 but bought a top there at the weekend which is a size 12 and fits really well! Usually though it's the opposite.

chipshop Tue 08-Dec-15 19:06:39

I tried on two pairs of shorts in H&M this summer - the simple denim shorts fitted perfectly in a size 10, usual size for me, but I could only just squeeze into size 12 "mom" denim shorts and clearly needed a 14. Totally bizarre - I asked the assistant who said some H&M clothes are marketed at teenagers so are much smaller?

Thudercatsrule Tue 08-Dec-15 19:14:14

Thank goodness for this thread! I'm usually a 10-12 and the size 12 dress would barely fit over my hips, I was beginning to think that I'd put on huge amounts of weight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now