Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question for hair stylists

(9 Posts)
solidarityplease Sun 06-Dec-15 07:55:02

SIL (hairdresser) has very kindly offered to do my colour for me at home. I've kind of outgrown my usual salon.

She is insisting on only being paid for the cost of the colour - she suggested doing it at home rather than the salon she has a chair at as it would cost upwards of £80 (what I would usually pay)
Obviously I can't just pay her for the colour, she's doing me a huge favour!

Question is: what proportion of that £80 would she make on average so I can pay her appropriately?
She's refusing to tell me! smile

Thank you in advance.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Sun 06-Dec-15 07:58:42

How lovely of her!
Hairdressers generally take about 40-50 percent of the total cost of the service. so £40 or so?

Ellypoo Sun 06-Dec-15 07:59:33

It will vary from salon to salon, but if she is insisting on not charging you other than for the cost of the colour, perhaps just get her a nice bottle of something or some posh chocs rather than giving her cash.

solidarityplease Sun 06-Dec-15 08:07:31

Ok, great, that gives me an idea, thanks!

I did think of getting her a bottle of her fave.... not sure what to do really. I might pop the cash in a card with some wine and leave it with her, so she can't protest!
She's got a young family so taking time out of her weekend is so very kind of her!

BuckBuckBuckBuckBuck Sun 06-Dec-15 08:16:46

We've been in this position on the other side. DH helped a neighbour with her business computer network (at the business premises) and didn't!t want paying (as they've often been very kind and helpful with emergency childcare etc, so it was nice to do something back). But they dropped a card in with £50. We felt a bit hurt really that we weren't able to just do something nice for them. We wouldn't have felt like that with a bottle of wine or chocs or biscuits.

Fannycraddock79 Sun 06-Dec-15 08:36:42

What a lovely thing to do. How about this time around you don't pay her, give her a present, like wine etc but agree with her that if its to be an ongoing thing, you won't do it unless you pay (if you think she could do with the money), and agree a price. She might want to do something nice for you as buck says. Or if she won't take money, give her voucher for a meal that she can enjoy with her family.

Wishful80smontage Sun 06-Dec-15 08:40:44

I think a nice bottle of wine or something too rather than cash. My dh is a far engineer and has helped out friends before and doesn't like it when people force money on him when he's said not to worry but he'd happily accept wine or chocolate smile

Wishful80smontage Sun 06-Dec-15 08:40:58

Gas*

solidarityplease Sun 06-Dec-15 09:00:28

0h goodness, I'd hate to offend her!
But equally don't want to take the piddle either.....
Bottle and box of chocs then perhaps.

Now, where can I buy alcohol at 9.30 on a Sunday morning? grin

Thank you everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now