Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is a visible bra a thing then?

(18 Posts)
JumpandScore Sat 05-Dec-15 19:32:20

Works do. Young colleague looked stunning in a cream bodycon dress with black lace panels. Until she turned round to reveal a deep v back worn with a regular black bra.

Is this how it's done these days? She's not the first one I've seen

Bunbaker Sat 05-Dec-15 19:35:18

Isn't the point of having a deep V back to show off your back unmarred by underwear.

I imagine if it was a very drunken do some idiot might see it as a challenge to undo it.

manandbeast Sat 05-Dec-15 19:36:04

Since Sarah Jessica Parker made it 'a thing' in Sex and the City' yonks ago

Can't get onboard myself

smile

DragonsCanHop Sat 05-Dec-15 19:38:12

Main heated discussion in our house with my teen. She thinks it's fine to wear clothes not appropriate to the bra she is wearing.

Apparently no one cares, it makes my nerves itch and ruins the outfit.

JumpandScore Sat 05-Dec-15 20:11:21

So you think she did it deliberately rather than not looking at the rear view properly?

specialsubject Sat 05-Dec-15 20:29:06

the crazy bra lady look does seem to be a fashionista thing now. But then ridiculous outfits are what they do.

wouldn't mind, but it is usually some hefty armour-plated job - keep it covered, love. Underwear, clue in the name.

SwearyGodmother Sat 05-Dec-15 20:57:34

I got a roasting in AIBU for suggesting that it wasn't appropriate in the summer. I'm happy to be in the old gimmer minority thinking that there are appropriate bras for each outfit. I get a clashing bra strap peeking out but backless/strapless without the appropriate underwear just baffles me.

CountryRoadTakeMeHome Sat 05-Dec-15 21:05:36

No would look rubbishy peaking out the back. I think bra straps and stringy vest tops OK as long as sameish colour ok. Although summer just gone I wore a lovely crocheted top with a white bra beneath which was obvs visible. IMO (and I could be wrong) it looked nice! I am 37 but look a fair bit younger and fairly tall and size 8. I would however be mortified if told different and would never sin again fgrin

DragonsCanHop Sat 05-Dec-15 21:06:56

Surely if it's a deep v back its meant to be worn bra less or with a fangled bra that requires tit tape?

I don't get wearing a strapless summer dress with a strap bra or a sports shape t shirt top with a normal bra.

Who wants to see the bra?

Am I old?

SinglePringle Sat 05-Dec-15 23:07:23

Only on those who don't need to wear a bra should it be a thing.

CointreauVersial Sun 06-Dec-15 00:16:15

I think it's ugly, but I am definitely an Old Gimmer. I don't mind a subtle and pretty bra strap showing with a cami top in the summer, but I don't want to see the rest of your bra, thanks.

Thecatisatwat Sun 06-Dec-15 00:28:04

According to the Times magazine today visible bras are 'in' but I think they're supposed to be visible from the front. Just visible from the back looks like you just wore the wrong bra.

PurpleTreeFrog Sun 06-Dec-15 00:35:53

I never thought visible bra (e.g. bra straps showing alongside vest straps in summer) was an issue until I started seeing disapproving comments on MN. Looks a bit pants from the back though with low back dresses. If it makes any difference, I'm in my 20s so not quite an 'old gimmer' yet wink

Birdsgottafly Sun 06-Dec-15 09:34:04

"I got a roasting in AIBU for suggesting that it wasn't appropriate in the summer. ""

I was on that thread disagreeing with you, I'm 47.

If you can find a bra that fits and will do the job, then fine.

But I don't think leaving the house should be hard work, I know that goes against S&B.

For a party, you should try and make the effort, but if you can't find a suitable bra that fits, I don't think it should stop you from wearing what you want to.

I actually like the 'bra visible' look under summer clothes, if done right.

Fabellini Sun 06-Dec-15 09:38:08

Doesn't sound like the ops example was "done right" though Bird!

JumpandScore Sun 06-Dec-15 09:38:58

The worst (best?) example I saw was in the summer. A low backed halter neck dress worn with a standard flesh coloured bra. Surely that can't be "right"?

Cheesymonster Sun 06-Dec-15 14:22:19

I think it's a thing among Young People. Also black bra under white top. I don't get it. Just looks like you've put on the wrong bra by mistake.

specialsubject Sun 06-Dec-15 16:21:36

it does indeed. No bra is actually that pretty and they are supposed to be hidden for a reason.

of course we don't say anything unless asked. But we are allowed to think, and what I usually think is 'lightbulb gone in the bedroom?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now