Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Entirely flummoxed by Clarks kids shoes!

(13 Posts)
superbfairywren Fri 04-Dec-15 17:02:10

Probably not the right place to post but hoping someone can help me. DD is one, has been walking, albeit still wobbly, for a month or two and wants to walk everywhere now, including when we are out and about.

I got her feet measured at clarks and they said she is a 3f and advised me to get prewalker shoes as they are more flexible for her feet while they're growing so quickly(the young girl who measured her was in a hurry and I don't actually remember her measuring both of DDs feet!). I didn't get any that day. Just went in a different clarks shop and had her measured and they said one foot is bigger and would advise getting 3.5f's and that the prewalker shoes are just for babies that aren't walking at all and the proper walker shoes are what I need to get as they are more supportive.

As I've had conflicting advice now I really don't know what to get. I was originally going to wait until she was walking really well to get proper shoes but as its horrid out I can't really let her waddle about in soft shoes from sainsburys or her socks outside!!
Can someone advise me please!? I would go somewhere more independent but I've got bloody clarks vouchers to use!

Fuzzballs Fri 04-Dec-15 17:06:38

The cruising shoes ( the softer soles ones) are designed to give more movement for very young feet when they are just walking around holding onto things. I've had these for both my dds when they started walking, even when they were walking properly as they are much more flexible in the sole which I think babies like more when they've not been used to having anything on their feet

SweetAdeline Fri 04-Dec-15 17:08:33

I (would and did) get the pre walkers. She'll only be in them for a short while so you can swap up to the others then if she's walking more. Realistically how much walking will she be doing in them if she only wears them when you're out and about.

superbfairywren Fri 04-Dec-15 17:13:51

Thank you both. I had assumed the softer ones would be better but I was told entirely the opposite today. The lady in clarks kept saying they weren't supportive enough and that I should get the solid sole ones. I think because I didn't really trust either of the people I spoke to I feel a bit at a loss. I think I will go to my local clarks on Sunday and get some prewalkers. I tried some proper walking shoes on DD today and she could barely walk as I think they were too heavy and solid for her at the moment.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 04-Dec-15 17:16:55

The second shop were correct, pre walkers are not suitable at all for dc who can already walk. There is not enough support for the foot.Also you can't use them outdoors.

SweetAdeline Fri 04-Dec-15 17:19:08

Honestly she'll only be in them a month or so and the weather is supposed to be awful this Winter. Chances are she'll do very little walking. I would have said keep her in the sainsburys soft shoes/socks/barefoot inside and get some wellies for the odd toddle outside... but good luck getting wellies below a size 4!

superbfairywren Fri 04-Dec-15 17:44:06

Okay, maybe I will hold off getting anything until after Christmas then get her feet measured again and see. I had planned not to get anything for as long as possible but as she got the vouchers for her birthday and she is so eager to be running around with her cousins I thought shoes would be a good idea.

jessplussomeonenew Fri 04-Dec-15 17:49:31

We were told today that walkers weren't recommended until babies could walk 10 steps confidently. We just got a £10 pair of cruisers in the Clarks sale which will keep his feet dry in most weather.

Fuzzballs Fri 04-Dec-15 18:11:52

Yes the cruisers should be fine for outside, they're leather and have proper soles, just a more rubbery flexible sole that's all

Smartiepants79 Fri 04-Dec-15 18:18:07

We had the flexible soled cruiser shoes for both my girls. Was told they were better for their feet until they were properly walking. No issues with them. Cheaper too.

BaBaBaBoomBoom Fri 04-Dec-15 18:32:30

My ds walked at 10mo, at 16mo now he's still in the softer flexible soles because he struggles with balance, he uses them outside. I had 'proper' shoes for dd too early I think, as she would fall over a lot in them. Clarks said that this might be because they are used to feeling the ground beneath their feet to judge how to walk, but they can't do that in harder shoes. Ultimatly, it's up to you!

hiccupgirl Fri 04-Dec-15 20:57:12

My dis had cruisers at 10 months cos he could walk confidently holding 1 hand and it was October so too wet to have bare feet outside. He had them for 5 months until he was walking by himself and his feet grew just afterwards.

You def don't want solid walking shoes if she's only just started walking.

superbfairywren Wed 09-Dec-15 14:49:16

Just to update, went to a different clarks today and am now happy. I ordered a pair of soft looking proper first walkers and a pair of cruisers in the sale to collect from the store. Am so pleased I went back as the lady I saw today was really nice, made me feel confident she knew what she was talking about too. I got the first walker shoes as I had picked the more flexible softly(?) range and they fit dd really well. She could walk in them unlike the others she had tried which were too heavy. They are nice and flexible yet supportive as she is walking so confidently now. And am glad I ordered online as they had nothing left in the sale in store! Thanks everyone for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now