Talk

Advanced search

Help me look my age

(11 Posts)
Brabee Fri 04-Dec-15 16:59:13

I'm about to have a birthday which places me firmly in the mid 30s category but I have just been asked to get my mum to sign a form for me - it was me who was the mum who needed to sign the form for my daughter, she's five and I have a three year old too. I've had loads of other comments like this since being a parent, and yes it's nice to not be aging too rapidly (I got my first wrinkles under my eyes this year) but I don't fit in with the mums in the school playground and I suspect looking much younger won't help my career once I return to work. I struggle massively with confidence anyway so have to push myself hard to be friendly and chatty. I don't think I dress young, it's changed a fair bit since kids, and my make up is fairly light. I have tried experimenting with new make up but don't think this helps me look older - but in my head I look my age anyway so what do I know.

Is there anything I can try to get a more mature and sophisticated look? Well aside from taking up heavy smoking and drinking. There are some celebs who look much older than they are but in a good way because they look sophisticated and glamorous, not because they wrinkled or grey.

Please help me look like a proper grown up.

Dowser Fri 04-Dec-15 20:25:56

Enjoy!

Sorry ;-)

ChippyOik Fri 04-Dec-15 20:27:10

stealth boast

Brabee Fri 04-Dec-15 22:24:34

The problem is I don't enjoy it, it's not so fun when you have kids or want a job where you aren't treated like the work experience kid - I feel a bit like this in a voluntary job I have, although my immediate manager had the same problem and is old enough to now enjoy it.

I've been considering asking this for ages but wondered if I'd be ripped to shreds, I saw a similar post when searching for advice and it wasn't pretty. I did see recommendations for S&B for good advice. I'm fed up after today and I have the prospect of returning to work in the next year, so it would be good to figure out how to look more like my age. I'm also a little clueless on make up, hair cuts (I'm a bit scared of hair dressers after a bad cut) and clothes. I've never felt good at this stuff but do try, and fail clearly. Looking a few years younger would be lovely but being mistaken for a child is not great. And I'm sure plenty of people my age have minimal or less wrinkles than me but look like sophisticated women in their 30s, and I can't figure out how they do it.

I'd love to have any pointers, hair, make up etc, is it worth getting make up lessons or go to a pricey hairdresser?

blueshoes Fri 04-Dec-15 23:16:31

I too look very young and am petite as well. Now in my late forties, I am beginning to look erm late thirties or older. Feeling rather wistful for when I was younger ...

Anyway, I am not sure what your figure and build is. I would say wear make up, pencil skirts below the knee with a smart jacket or fitted shirt and high heels. My hair is straight and I just keep it in a neat mid-shoulder bob.

Sweetsweetjane Fri 04-Dec-15 23:20:49

I was you once. I wanted to look more mature, sophisticated, glamorous. Now I just look mature. Not sophisticated or glamorous.
I wish I just looked young again.

burnishedsilver Sat 05-Dec-15 00:04:21

I think your hair might hold the key. What is your hair like now?

YesOfCourseAlways Sat 05-Dec-15 12:14:43

Have a look at Lisa Eldridge's site, she has great video tutorials for make up, some of them are very quick. Good make up and swishy hair will help you feel more confident.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 05-Dec-15 12:23:54

No help , I am always told I look younger (I don't mind now, I'm nearly 50 grin )

With long hair/short hair/curly hair/ponytail/bun. Made no difference.

Make up will give you a more polished look if you apply it right.

Or buy a badge that says I am 35 grin

RaptorsCantPlayPoker Sat 05-Dec-15 12:29:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everythingsgoingsouth Sat 05-Dec-15 15:05:25

have you had a browse on pinterest? you could try search word such as
smart outfits 30's, or sophisticated daywear, classic looks etc etc.
I think the capsule wardrobe pinterest pages have a classic rather than trendy feel?
Maybe neutral colours with just one accent colour to outfits? Hair and make up will no doubt help.
good lucksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now