Talk

Advanced search

Dr martens sizing

(17 Posts)
zippyswife Fri 04-Dec-15 12:42:21

So I bit the bullet and bought my first pair of DMs in 20 years (gorgeous navy colour). In office I tried them on in black. The 6 was too small and 7 seemed OK. So I ordered them off amazon in a 7. I've received them and they are a bit big- I can for my finger down the back. I'm normally a large 6 in most shoes so had been buying 6 but these days feel cramped in them so think I need 6.5/7. I guess what I'm asking is (if you haven't fallen asleep) is will a roomy size be comfortable? Is there an insole or something I can buy to put in?

i tend to size up in them these days as I think the fit is different o how it was ten plus years ago. i find just wearing an extra thin pair of socks is enough to keep them fitting right and comfortable plus the extra socks help protect against any rubbing. really i could do with only going up half a size but as they don't do them, a whole size has to do. don't forget to really break them in before you wear them properly or you'll end up with horrible blisters. i find wearing one thick and then one pairof thin socks and just wearing round the house repeatedly is enough to get them broken in . once they are broken in though, they will be so comfortable

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 04-Dec-15 16:50:21

My size 5 DM shoes are ginormous. I have had to put 2 pairs of insoles in them.

SwedishEdith Fri 04-Dec-15 16:58:38

I always have to size down. I'm normally a 6 and even my 5s still feel roomy.

GreenPotato Fri 04-Dec-15 17:08:19

Yes they are a bit big - one reason I love them. An 8 is a roomy fit, whereas in most shoes an 8 is tight but a 9 is a bit big (or hard to find).

I think docs go with thick socks anyway so the roomy fit works for me - at the moment I'm wearing tights under jeans or a skirt, with a pair of woolly socks over them, and then my docs and that works well. Insoles would probably work as well though - just any bogstandard ones from a shoe shop.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 04-Dec-15 17:14:49

According to DrM shop some are size slightly different from others. It was either the unisex vs the female or the some leather vs the large. I forget which

(Helpful emoticon)

magicstar1 Fri 04-Dec-15 17:22:39

I'm normally a 7...but tried to get Docs a few weeks ago, and 6 is too tight across the foot, while 7 is too long. I had to forget about them 😢

Greengardenpixie Fri 04-Dec-15 17:48:58

I have quite wide feet but have always found them true to size tbh. I am a 6 and over the years have owned many DM's of differing styles - sandals, boots, Mary Jane's. I have always taken a 6.

zippyswife Fri 04-Dec-15 18:20:17

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've just reread my op it makes virtually no sense!! Think I'll wear about the house for a few days and see. I'm so indecisive and can never tell if shoes fit at the best of times!

MrsLogicFromViz Fri 04-Dec-15 22:03:28

They're pretty TTS, I wear a 9/43.

FankEweVeryMuch Fri 04-Dec-15 22:41:52

If they are unisex they need to be sized down i.e the 1460 but if they are female then your usual size or maybe a size bigger i.e pascal.

I tried a 5 and 6 1460 on today, I usually wear a 6 which were too big but a 5 was slightly tight. A 5.5 would be perfect but they don't do them.

zippyswife Sat 05-Dec-15 07:20:15

Ah... Yes they are unisex 1460. I'll
Get to a shop this week and retry the 6 v 7 on. Like yourself I think the half size would probably be perfect! Typically. Better check how long I've got to return them (Amazon). Thanks for all your help.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 05-Dec-15 08:53:13

My massive ones are indeed unisex, so that makes sense.

zippyswife Sat 05-Dec-15 10:28:35

I can return until 31st Jan so it gives me a while to dither!!

MrsLogicFromViz Sat 05-Dec-15 16:14:24

Amazon are pretty cool about returns, plus they're free.

TheRattleBag Sat 05-Dec-15 18:58:29

I waver between a 6 and 7. I've got Serena flat boots in 6, Clemency heeled boots in a 7. Got some 1461 shoes in a 7, but another pair (also 1461) in a 6. Red Indica (mary janes) are a 7, gold/pewter brogues are 6. And my original plain black.... no idea 'cos the size wore off many years ago!

I think that even within the same style, sizing varies depending on the leather. And the size might vary depending where they are made - some are made in Thailand and some in China I believe.

These articles might help, but I fear I've just confused you even more :-)

boots-guide.com/dr-martens-size-guide.html

www.alphabetcityblog.com/2009/05/doc-martens-made-in-england-vs-made-in.html

zippyswife Fri 11-Dec-15 11:13:58

Thanks for the advice. I returned the 7 and got a 6. And they fit perfectly and I love them. They are the 1460 so unisex and wide and roomy at the toes. Lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now