Talk

Advanced search

Tea at the Ritz... help please!

(46 Posts)
Shockers Tue 01-Dec-15 23:42:44

I'm going for afternoon tea at the Ritz this weekend with a friend. I asked what the dress code would be and she thinks a dress and heeled shoes.

The thing is, I really don't like heels... or dresses. I don't mind tunic style dresses with boots, but I'm not a floaty dress kind of person.

Please could you help me find something to fit, which won't make me feel uncomfortable? I do have some long black boots which I think would be fine as they're smart and quite plain, with a more pointed, than rounded toe. I think they would look great with a drapey fine knit dress and some nice jewellery.

I've looked on the Ritz website and I'm fairly sure that this type of ensemble would be acceptable for afternoon tea in winter.

I like soft fabrics, I don't mind a subtle sparkle and I prefer not to have a fitted waist as I'm a bit apple-y in shape. I'm a size 12 and am 5'4" tall. My legs are toned, so with longer boots and tights, I think a dress that sits mid thigh would look ok.

I hope that's not too specific! I am open to suggestions, as long as the fabric is natural and soft.

TIA!

Donge13 Tue 01-Dec-15 23:50:34

When I went I wore a wide leg trouser and nice top, I was to busy looking at the surroundings to notice what anyone else had on. Just wear what you feel comfortable with, enjoy it op I'm so jealous smile

Shockers Tue 01-Dec-15 23:53:02

It does look beautiful! I'm very excited smile. Thanks for replying!

IsItMeOr Tue 01-Dec-15 23:53:42

I think anything reasonably smart will be fine.

The only dress code thing I remember is that DH had to wear a jacket and possibly a tie. This was a few years back though.

polyhymnia Wed 02-Dec-15 00:07:17

Yup anything reasonably smart. Certainly no need for heels or to get a dress.

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 00:07:48

Yes, my friend said that the last time she went (height of summer), two men were politely turned away because they weren't wearing jackets.

I've set my heart on this imaginary dress now. I've just looked on the White Company website, but I know from past experience that their dresses are made for taller ladies.

Tartyflette Wed 02-Dec-15 00:39:36

I don't think there is anywhere in London that requires women to wear dresses these days, (not even Buck House garden parties where lots of women from all walks of life attend, some may be elderly or with mobility problems or from cultures that don't wear frocks).
And certainly not high heels - look at the furore when it was stated at the Cannes film festival they were compulsory for women on the red carpet. Cue lots of A-listers turning up in flats the next day grin.
The dress code is probably smart, perhaps just a little smarter than smart casual - tailored trousers, wide or slim leg, nice top or jacket, or dressy skirt and jacket/top, or a dress. Shoes or boots, not trainers or flip flops. Nice coat/ jacket rather than an anorak? Sportswear may be frowned on. I was at the Ritz in the evening and was quite glammed up, but still wore trousers, albeit very 'evening-y' ones. And kitten heels, AFAICR.

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 01:13:05

Thank you for your replies smile.

I think I should've just asked where I could get a drapey, soft, fine knit dress from, rather than saying where it was for!

I only ever wear slim leg trousers with nice tops, when I go out. We live quite rurally, so it's either one of the few decent restaurants within driving distance, the wine bar on our short High Street, or the pub! For weddings, I would wear a dress with heels, but I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable.

I just had a vision of the perfect (for me) compromise, but I can't find it!

amarmai Wed 02-Dec-15 01:13:38

hey dress up if you want to and enjoy!

curriegirl Wed 02-Dec-15 07:27:46

If you want to dress up do so but when I go to the Dorchester or claridges I have worn jeans.

homebythesea Wed 02-Dec-15 07:37:26

I was coming on to say the same as curriegirl - you will see everything from jeans to wedding type attire and everything in between. On the whole I think people don't "dress up" for much these days. Anything smart(ish) will do

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 08:22:41

There is definitely a 'no jeans' policy.

I worded my OP badly. I wanted help finding the soft dress I could wear with boots, and still feel lovely in. I clouded the issue by mentioning the venue! grin

Artandco Wed 02-Dec-15 08:29:00

I think the ritz is no jeans or trainers now. So anything else is fine ie a soft Knit dress and long boots is fine

Artandco Wed 02-Dec-15 08:32:59

Try jigsaw for a nice soft dress

LizzieMacQueen Wed 02-Dec-15 08:36:42

Have a look at Yumi or Jigsaw. I had a quick look and couldn't see something as you describe but lots of nice dresses.

Also Hobbs used to do quite a few knitted style.

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 08:40:43

Thanks, I'd forgotten about Hobbs. I'll try all of those now!

Roystonv Wed 02-Dec-15 08:46:57

I just bought two drapey jerseys dresses from m & s that I wear with flat black boots but maybe you want to go a bit more up market/treat yourself - anyway have a lovely time, there will be all sorts of outfits there.

hugoagogo Wed 02-Dec-15 08:48:26

I like this from east, but maybe too casual?

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 09:08:10

I like that too Hugo, but I suspect it would look too long on me, as I'm quite short.

I'll check out M&S; I'm after something plain that I can jazz up with jewellery!

hugoagogo Wed 02-Dec-15 09:20:07

Dresses are tricky for us shorties the waists are always on my hips!

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 09:21:06

The M&S dresses were very nice, but not a fine enough knit for this occasion. I might get one for work though!

hugoagogo Wed 02-Dec-15 09:22:19

Wait a minute 5ft 4 isn't short is it?

You would tower over me like my 13 year old dd

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 09:24:57

If you need cheering up, go on the M&S website. Some of their designs (not the knitted dresses!) have to be a joke!
Twiggy's expression is a little scary in some of the photos... I reckon she's spotted the floral bootlegs and thinks she's not being taken seriously anymore grin.

hugoagogo Wed 02-Dec-15 09:27:34

I regularly walk through my local m&s just to feel young, but its a bit sad really, it used to be such a lovely shop.

Shockers Wed 02-Dec-15 09:30:21

I'm actually 5'3 3/4"... I embellished. Other than my best friend (nicknamed Pocket Rocket), I'm the smallest adult I know! My children all tower over me too. I have 2 boys who are 6'1" and 6', and a DD who is 5'8".

It's no wonder I have neck issues.

How tall are you Hugo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now