Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been on holiday to Dubai?

(9 Posts)
KateSpadeAddict Mon 30-Nov-15 21:44:10

Seeing as there are so many great sales on just now I was thinking about trying to get a few things to take on my honeymoon to Dubai in April.

I don’t want to be disrespectful in any way so does anyone has any advice on the best type of things to wear when out and about during the day/in restaurants in the evening?

I know that bikinis are ok on private beaches and by the poolside but am unsure how conservative to be around the rest of the hotel etc.

I am size 12, very fair with dark hair, probably a winter but haven’t had it professionally done grin

Thanks in advance

Artandco Mon 30-Nov-15 21:50:01

I find maxi dresses best. If your going to the pool you need to ideally cover up between pool and hotel room for respect even if it's not required so a basic loose cotton maxi is great to throw over bikini.

But in hotels no regulations really. I usually cover legs and shoulder though as feels better as others won't stare

Outside hotel it's knees and elbows covered. So a maxi dress with loose shirt/ top easily covers

cressetmama Tue 01-Dec-15 09:23:39

No bare shoulders/beach wear on the street or in malls. Art is spot on, keep your knees and elbows covered and you won't offend. It's not like the more conservative Gulf states.

It may help you to know that many of the smarter hotels and restaurants can be fussy about open toed sandals on men in the evenings, so he will need something that isn't flip flops (although you will see Emirati men wearing sandals with robes). Your feet are fine, but not the soles!

50degreesintheshade Tue 01-Dec-15 10:56:24

By April it will start getting warm again so maxi dresses will be good. Bring light weight jumpers and cover ups as anywhere indoors will be freezing. In malls you will see signs asking you to dress modestly, I normally wear cropped jeans and a vest top ( with something light over the top).

ProjectPerfect Tue 01-Dec-15 17:32:43

Officially rules are no bare shoulders or knees in public (although this doesn't really apply at hotels)

In malls its not unusual to see hot pants and midriffs on show. People are unlikely to complain but more conservative attire is appropriate.

In restaurants and bars in the evening the dress code is glamourous - short skirts cleavage and high high heels all fine

KateSpadeAddict Tue 01-Dec-15 18:04:17

Thanks so much, I do have a few maxi dresses but they just really aren’t my favourite thing to wear - I feel a bit swamped in them. I think i’ll have to buy some more though along side some cover up type things. I just don’t want to do the wrong thing but I also love fashion and getting dressed up so would love to be able to do that respectfully smile

Thanks cressetmama I hadn’t thought about DF’s feet! Although he isn’t really a sandal wearer.

Artandco Tue 01-Dec-15 19:31:42

I never usually shop there but 'oasis' shop in the UK is usually really good for cheapish but cotton maxi dresses. Around £30 each I think. I have the plain ones in several colour and they don't crease much, fold small, can wear basic over bikini in day if you pop in to eat lunch, or can glam up in evening with belt/ jewellery/ light blazer/ fancy shoes.

It's usually freezing in many malls/ bazaars and restaurants as they have the air con on full!

twobambinos Tue 01-Dec-15 20:47:49

As art said air con will be on full blast most indoors so you will want to have some cover up for that. I used a wrap and draped it over. Kaftan for walking from pool to the hotel room
Have a fab time Im super jealous grin

KateSpadeAddict Wed 02-Dec-15 19:34:55

Thanks, I do have the kind of maxi dress that you’re describing artandco I just wasn’t sure if they are a bit too low cut, they have a scoop neck and I am a 32E usually so have ample cleavage on show hmm

Thanks twobambinos I am really excited grin

I haven’t really seen anything online that I’ve liked - definitely the wrong season!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now