Talk

Advanced search

PanOxy 10% Acne gel

(14 Posts)
Hellokitty105 Mon 30-Nov-15 19:22:31

Just wondering if anyone has ever used PanOxy 10% Acne gel and is it any good??

I have mild/moderate acne and get spots on my chin, cheeks and forhead often. My friend put some quinoderm in a pot for me but now its run out so i need an alternative ASAP!
I found the quinoderm to be drying but succesful at getting rid of spots and some reviews have said that PanOxyl is even better than quinoderm. I'm just so sick of having horrible skin and being so self concious!! sad

bertiebow Mon 30-Nov-15 19:56:35

Have you been to the GP? Mine prescribed Duac, which cleared it along with not wearing foundation. Duac is benzoyl peroxide with an antibiotic added. I think Quinoderm is just benzoyl peroxide. I know what you mean, it's horrible having bad skin - it made me feel very self-conscious too, and I couldn't stop thinking about it

Hellokitty105 Mon 30-Nov-15 20:21:02

I'm on the pill and I mentioned it in passing when I went for my check but the Dr didn't seem interested. She just put it down to age (I'm 20 not a hormonal teen!!). It is horrible though all anyone says me when I don't wear make up is what's wrong with your face! I like to not wear makeup to let my skin breathe though!

WickedWax Mon 30-Nov-15 20:35:26

I've used all three - Panoxy, Quinoderm and Duac. They all keep getting discontinued then reinstated then discontinued again. Duac was the best of them all on me for clearing spots but it's very drying.

bertiebow Mon 30-Nov-15 20:38:24

As a contrast, I didn't find Duac that drying. I cleansed my face with Cetaphil and a flannel, then moisturised with a v cheap oil-free moisturiser (Boots Sensitive, about £3) then put the Duac on spotty bits. Within about 2 weeks I stopped getting new spots.

Perhaps you are on the wrong pill though - some can cause/exacerbate acne and some improve it. I think Dianette and Yasmin are supposed to help. Worth trying another doc?

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Mon 30-Nov-15 21:17:25

If you think your acne is hormonal (mine always has been, but definitely was at 20!) then I second the suggestion of discussing your pill with your GP. The NHS will not really put people on Dianette these days for more than a few months - I've just come off it after a year, but was on it for several years at your age - but it's worth a try as it WILL work. I didn't get on with Yasmin, but am now on Marvelon which is apparently the older version of Yasmin, so that's another one worth bearing in mind.

You say your acne is mild/moderate but it sounds like it's really bothering you so I think it's definitely worth a GP appointment. There's lots they will be able to suggest you try - antibiotics as well as topicals like Duac, for instance.

Flutterbutterfly Mon 30-Nov-15 22:09:47

Try honey and asprin face mask alongside green clay masks, I suffered for years and these keep my acne at bay.

Redskyatnight01 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:41:59

I used to used Panoxy and really rated it, a lot more than quiniderm but they've blummin doscontinuted it now!

Hellokitty105 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:07:13

I've just bought some online so I hope it isn't discontinued!!
I've just come off Yasmin and I'm going back into marvelon for th second time. The doctor seems to think switching pills every so often might help as my skin improves when I swap pill then after a year or so the acne starts again.

itsbetterthanabox Tue 01-Dec-15 11:06:13

Boots are selling this atm.
ink{http://m.boots.com/h5/cat\m.boots.com/h5/ca]]t}hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Acnecide-5-w-w-Gel-30gg_1677168/
Hope it doesn't get stopped!
5% is much better then 10% too.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Tue 01-Dec-15 12:32:17

Hi again OP,

Great, so your GP is putting you on the right pills. If you are finding that Yasmin & Marvelon both help but not permanently, it might be worth asking for Dianette next time you switch (maybe after 3-6 months rather than a year. Even just going on it for 6 months you may find it keeps the acne at bay for longer. Obviously it's comparatively very high risk for some things, but let the GP worry about that.

The way I see it is that if the pill helps, and you're going to be on it anyway, you may as well get that right before you start worrying about what you're putting on your face, as it can be all you need. (Dianette worked for my severe acne at 19 in 6 weeks - clear skin for years, but sadly not for my chin spots at 28!)

Good luck smile

Tate15 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:23:32

Panoxyl works for me if I rub it in well, wait five minutes then apply moisturiser. This eliminates any dryness.

Sorry to sound gross but it is also more effective if you can extract blackheads first before applying as it then stops the cleaned out pores from filling up again.

acneresearch2015 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:49:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

msrisotto Sat 19-Dec-15 07:48:36

I was on Dianette for well over a decade, the doctors are probably horrified at that. Anyway, I'm a bit research inclined and found that you can basically copy the chemical makeup of it by combining any regular pill with Spironolactone. Research is in the early stages but there is a randomised controlled trial showing 80% success on reducing acne in women with this combination. My GP was happy with this evidence and so far (fingers crossed! after about 4 months) on this regime, my acne has not come back. There is a website called acne.org which is a fountain of information.

Also. Although my acne was always hormonal, it has been improved by diet. I full on quit (added) sugar. No chocolate, no sweets, no fizzy drinks etc. I did this for 6 or 7 months and now, I do notice it a day or two later if i've eaten that stuff.

Susie - should I take part if I basically don't have acne anymore because it is very well managed by medication?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now