Talk

Advanced search

Perfumistas! <excited whistle> Over here please!

(24 Posts)
ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Mon 30-Nov-15 08:14:44

I am ridiculously excited as I have infected dd (12) For a few years now she's enjoyed mooching round Duty Free with me, and bought her own first perfume (a Body Shop Edt) (was vile, but ssssh) this summer. She's 12.

I want to buy her a proper perfume this Christmas. In Duty Free in September I showed her the Guerlain Acqua ones, many of which she liked, and also she loves Chanel Chance (orange bottle)

Now, over dinner last night, peeling mandarins, she said she loved things that smell of oranges and would like some orange smelling perfume. I don't want to blind buy, and the only one I know of, own and love, is Yves Rocher Essence of Neroli (which is bloody lovely for the price!) I may go with that for her, but would like any other recommendations, especially bearing in mind she's only 12.

cressetmama Mon 30-Nov-15 08:41:23

How lovely! Are you old enough to remember Aqua Manda? That was definitely oranges and we all loved it at that age, but does it still exist? I would look and sniff the Roger & Gallet Bois d'Orange spray, and the Bienfaits one but they are a bit woodier. Neroli is always lovely though we have no Yves Rocher counter locally.

FinallyHere Mon 30-Nov-15 08:43:25

Another vote for Roger & Gallet Bois d'Orange here.

gaggiagirl Mon 30-Nov-15 08:48:43

I've loved roger and gallet too. Nicely priced as well.
Calvin Kline Truth is rather orangey and sweet. I loved that in my youth.
Would she fancy body shop Satsuma or is that a bit naff? That's a very powerful fragrance.

ihearttea Mon 30-Nov-15 08:53:39

Guerlain aqua allegoria Mandarine Basilic is gorgeous, I buy a new bottle every time my one runs out!

getoffthattabletnow Mon 30-Nov-15 08:55:18

Couvent des minimes do beautiful colognes.There's the Cologne of Love and another orange blossom one.These are now available in Boots .They smell so delicious and suitable for a 12 year old and for anyone really There are some Christmas introductory kits too ( but they keep on selling out).Go to Fragantica to read the reviews and see what you think.

ToastMakesMeHappy Mon 30-Nov-15 09:00:59

Hugo boss orange has an orange bottle and a tiny hint of orange

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Mon 30-Nov-15 09:20:49

Oh brilliant thankyou! flowers and santa

I am very much old enough to remember Aqua Manda! I think it is making a comeback. (My friend Amanda used to say it had been named after her lol)

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Mon 30-Nov-15 09:27:25

Iv worked in cosmetics for years. Personally I'd go for, Boss orange for someone of her age.

Tate15 Mon 30-Nov-15 11:32:58

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Library-of-Fragrance-Orange-Blossom-Eau-de-Toilette-30ml_1507935/

gaggiagirl Mon 30-Nov-15 13:00:21

I was just coming back to say what tate said. I cant believe I forgot this one considering I own it and am wearing it shock have a newborn, forgotten what sleep is
I would say though that the library of fragrance or Demeter as it was known as are very subtle. They have no longevity or silage which is a shame because they have some belters!

Hornydilemma Mon 30-Nov-15 13:02:46

L'Artisan Parfumeur Seville a l'Aube - they had this for about €40 in TX Maxx recently, I love it but it is NOT a sweet orange - think of the taste of orange zest.

CointreauVersial Mon 30-Nov-15 13:24:04

Shay & Blue - Blood Oranges smells unbelievably like juicy, fresh oranges, then has a lovely amber base note.

You can find it in M&S. It is gorgeous, and I am sitting on my hands trying to resist a full bottle purchase.

bigfatfeet Mon 30-Nov-15 14:53:21

I just came on to recommend Shay & Blue Blood Oranges too - it's lovely, although for some reason doesn't last very long on me. The small bottle is about £30 in M&S.

FrustratedFrugal Mon 30-Nov-15 15:27:25

Here's a really refined alternative.

Tia4 Mon 30-Nov-15 16:12:33

Try DKNY Women - long lasting, fresh and gorgeous! smile

Whatthefoxgoingon Mon 30-Nov-15 16:59:52

I like orange sanguine by atelier cologne.

cressetmama Wed 02-Dec-15 09:53:54

ThenLater: Treat yourself to the Juliette Has a Gun sample set for 10 euros plus postage and give your DD the sample of Miss Charming to try. It would be really pretty on a young girl (but is a bit sweet on me). It's a very fruity blend of tangerine, rose and raspberry -- which comes to dominate the dry down. The others are much more sophisticated!

Tartyflette Wed 02-Dec-15 20:07:23

Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte is lovely, unisex and quite long-lasting. Possibly a little sophisticated for a young teen but it's like peeling a seville orange,or twisting a strip of peel to release the zest.

hollinhurst84 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:31:43

This is gorgeous, they have a few different ones in the book of citrus range. Bottles all the same but different names, m&s stock them

Tartyflette Wed 02-Dec-15 20:34:10

Neroli is the fragrance of orange blossom and quite sweet, although lovely, but i find it quite different to actual citrussy perfumes, like Seville à l'Aube or Dior's Escale à Portofino.

scatteroflight Thu 03-Dec-15 00:08:35

Fragonard Fleur d'Oranger is a lovely light orange fragrance - you can get it in M&S

www.marksandspencer.com/fragonard-fleur-d-oranger-eau-de-toilette-100ml/p/p22186723

They also do small bottles if you just want to try.

Decanter Thu 03-Dec-15 01:01:27

Clinique Happy? I'm sure it smells orangey. I think it does, I love it.

theshitestuff Thu 03-Dec-15 01:08:57

I have Guerlain mandarine and basil too and love it. But it's more of a mandarin peel scent, a bit drier smelling. Not a big hit of orange.

Random present idea but I'd recommend bergamot and grapefruit essential oil and atomiser as a present - lovely citrussy smells!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now