Talk

Advanced search

Is this dress appropriate for a winter wedding?

(22 Posts)
leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 18:53:23

My brother is getting married in Scotland in February. Country house hotel, inside all day. I've been looking at dresses online for a while, but very little leaps out at me. I saw a couple of things on Atterley that I liked but worried I may never them wear again. I saw this on Monsoon website. I'm 41, 5'4 and a size 14. It wouldn't swamp me and I'd wear it again but is it dressy enough?
uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/8458740108

leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 18:58:44

this one on Atterley I loved but it's sold out in a 14.

TimeToMuskUp Sun 29-Nov-15 19:01:47

I love the Monsoon one, utterly lovely.

leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 19:07:26

I might squeeze a dress trying session into my day tomorrow. I had thought I might wait for the sales in January but worry I'll end up desperation buying something I hate/ am not comfortable in.

Nanasueathome Sun 29-Nov-15 19:10:54

The Atterley one is lovely
Did you want to wear a black dress, as in the Monsoon one, to a wedding?

BackforGood Sun 29-Nov-15 19:11:56

Honestly?
I don't want to upset anyone - but if you want an honest opinion from a stranger?

I don't like the monsoon one at all - I think it looks like it's been made from some curtains. It doesn't even look good on the model, and if they can't find a model, with a professional photographer, lighting, etc to make it look good, it doesn't auger well for looking good on an ordinary mortal.

By default, I prefer the Atterley one grin

seven201 Sun 29-Nov-15 19:17:19

The atterly one reminds me a bit of some whistles dresses - they currently have a sale on. I don't think you'll know until you try them on. I don't know about black for a wedding - maybe check with your brother about that?

leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 19:43:33

I think the monsoon one looks blue although it says black. I'm not sure at all, hence the thread. The atterley one is lovely and more me, but not available in my size. I will look at Whistles in John Lewis tomorrow. I might get inspired.
I hadn't considered the no black at a wedding question. I don't think it'd be an issue with my brother or fiancée, she might be a stealth bridezilla but I doubt it.

EllieJayJay Sun 29-Nov-15 19:45:28

Love the atterly one - beautiful!

leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 19:47:44

I'll throw this one into the mix. I really like the style but think it might be a bit too much 'look at me' red for me to handle.

imjustahead Sun 29-Nov-15 19:52:26

i just bought this one for a winter wedding, with a faux fur jacket.

I am size 14

BackforGood Sun 29-Nov-15 20:18:56

Oh - really sorry, but I think the red one is awful too (even if it fits you better and you wear much nicer shoes than the model - what was the stylist thinking?? shock

However - I do like the Peacocks on that Imjustahead has linked to. MUCH more stylish.

leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 20:24:59

The peacocks one is a pretty colour but is too clingy for me. I could see me pulling at it all day.

leakyR Sun 29-Nov-15 20:38:30

Now looking at this as a safe (not black, not baggy, unlike curtains) pretty option.

justnippingin Sun 29-Nov-15 21:37:55

Your first two are by far and away more lovely. I like them both.

leakyR Wed 02-Dec-15 16:16:03

Got thiswith a Black Friday discount at John Lewis (also had £45 voucher to spend). I really like it. Not sure how much wear I'll get out of it in future but I feel good in it. I don't look anything like the model in it (a lot shorter and rounder) but it is very flattering on.

Kr1stina Wed 02-Dec-15 16:27:15

I'm glad you've found something you like.

I just popped in to say that Scottish people dress up a lot more for weddings than English and Welsh people do . So you can go to town with lovely shoes and bag and perhaps a faux fur jacket . Are you a hat person ?

LondonHuffyPuffy Wed 02-Dec-15 16:46:05

leaky that Atterley dress is back in stock in a size 14, but I love the Mint Velvet one, I think it's much nicer!

hugoagogo Wed 02-Dec-15 17:34:40

I like that mint velvet one I'm glad you've found something you like- its so difficult-I have a February wedding too.

I keep looking at dresses on line then I go in the shop and things look completely different rubbish in the flesh.

That monsoon one is a perfect example.

leakyR Wed 02-Dec-15 21:42:31

kr1stina I'd guessed that weddings in Scotland seem to be more formal, dressier affairs having seen photos db and stb sil at weddings in the last year. I am assuredly not a hat person, but might be swayed before February. I am leaving bag/shoes accessories until the new year. I jade titchy feet so can often pick up a bargain in the sales.
London I'm now tempted by the Atterley dress. I could return the one I like least of the two although dh thinks the mint velvet is more wedding appropriate. Maybe I should leave well alone.

leakyR Wed 02-Dec-15 21:45:14

I 'have' titchy feet. And sausage fingers when it comes to typing.blush

doctorboo Thu 03-Dec-15 10:06:42

I just clicked on the Atterley link and think it's very nice. Accessories all the way if you feel it needs poshing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now