Advanced search

How do you charge an electric toothbrush please?

(16 Posts)
Artylady14 Sun 29-Nov-15 14:27:50

I want to buy my parents electric toothbrushes for Xmas but they dont have one of those wall units for charging in their bathroom. Can you charge electric toothbrushes in any other way?

Also, if anyone can recommend one for sensitive teeth I would be very grateful, thank you.

chipsandpeas Sun 29-Nov-15 14:31:08

my electric toothbrush came with an adaptor plug that goes into a normal plug so i charge mine in the kitchen

Sallyingforth Sun 29-Nov-15 14:33:28

You can charge it off any power socket with an adaptor, but it's a nuisance if you have to go and fetch it from another room and take it back to charge.

Bunbaker Sun 29-Nov-15 14:34:12

Same as chips. They are supplied with a charging unit that you plus into the wall.

RoosterCogburn Sun 29-Nov-15 14:43:09

If you buy an adapter you can plug them into an ordinary socket.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Sun 29-Nov-15 14:46:46

I charge mine in the kitchen, with a travel adaptor plug to make it the right sort. It's a bit of a pain as it's in the way, but not much. I tried buying an adaptor plug at poundland first, but it didn't really fit and kept popping out and wouldn't charge, so the travel one was a better bet (you can get loads on eBay and amazon for a pound or two, but they're likely the same as the first one I tried).

I think some brands might actually come with a normal three-prong plug. Mine was Phillips, which didn't.

iwantgin Sun 29-Nov-15 16:56:51

I charge mine on the landing. It needs to be charges about once a week.

iwantgin Sun 29-Nov-15 16:58:02

I bought an adaptor for about 60p so that I can plug into the regular wall socket. (also use it for my epilator)

VegetablEsoup Sun 29-Nov-15 17:06:03

any power socket will do, but we have a hotel-type hairdryer with socket in the bathroom which comes very handy

Sallyingforth Sun 29-Nov-15 17:43:35


That doesn't sound very safe.
Only shaver type sockets are allowed in a bathroom and they won't normally power a hairdryer.

dementedpixie Sun 29-Nov-15 17:46:27

You need an adaptor plug and then the 2 pin plug on the toothbrush stand will plug into that.

dementedpixie Sun 29-Nov-15 17:48:06

The adaptor looks like this

VegetablEsoup Sun 29-Nov-15 17:51:34

sally fixed installed hairdryers are legal.
like this one

Artylady14 Mon 30-Nov-15 08:50:31

Thanks for all your advice. Does anyone know if there is a good one specifically for sensitive teeth/gums?

VulcanWoman Mon 30-Nov-15 09:03:08

I've always found the Oral B ones to be great, usually half price this time of year as well. I think you can get sensitive brush heads, they have a good few to pick from anyway.

Sallyingforth Mon 30-Nov-15 09:24:28

Yes permanently wired equipment is fine.
As I said it is mains sockets that are not permitted because of the risk of electrocution. Shaver sockets are an approved standard with double insulation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now