Talk

Advanced search

Help me have/keep straight hair!

(15 Posts)
LeSquigh Sun 29-Nov-15 14:06:45

My natural hair is very wavy to curly. It is of varying lengths due to shit layers. The longest part is just below shoulder length. I suspect this isn't helping my problem but it's grows VERY slowly.

I have straightened my hair almost daily since those rubbish (but revolutionary at the time) Babyliss straighteners with the steam pod came out and experienced daily splashes from the leaking hot water if anyone can remember these things from the mid 90s. Since then I have progressed to GHDs like a normal person. I recently bought a pair of Cloud Nines after reading great reviews but I keep going back to my GHD IV that are actually the second to last pair of GHDs that I bought. The most recent GHDs didn't seem to get as hot as these and I have always gone back.

ANYWAY. It doesn't matter how much I seem to straighten it my hair just will not stay poker straight as I want it to. It stays much straighter when the hairdresser does it but even that's not fail safe. The slightest hint of moisture wrecks it. My hair is in pretty good condition now after years of abuse.

Does anyone have any tips or products to help?

I don't currently use any product (other than occasionally heat spray when I remember). None of the humidity products seem to work and actually even if it's not humid within mins of stepping outside it goes to shit.

PLEASE HELP! smile

thewhitepowerranger Sun 29-Nov-15 14:53:21

You need a Brazilian blowdry. They last for about 3 months and will make your hair stay beautifully straight, shiny and non-frizzy. The only down side is that if you have thin hair (mine is thin but very curly and frizzy so looks thicker than it really is), it will make your hair look really thin because they remove all the volume. But if you have loads of hair, they are a Godsend.

LeSquigh Sun 29-Nov-15 15:47:46

Ah yes. My sister had one with good results. At the time I didn't consider it because my hair wasn't in great condition but must look into this. My hair isn't either thick or thin really. I don't really care for volume so that's no issue.

Is some hair just immune to straighteners?

jamtartandcustard Sun 29-Nov-15 16:07:13

Oh wow I think I need one! My hair is incredibly thick and fluffy. Where does. Brazilian blow dry? Does Toni and guy do them?

lurkingfromhome Sun 29-Nov-15 16:07:57

I have very similar hair to yours. The merest whiff of dampness and I go completely Monica in Barbados. Tried the legendary Brazilian blow dry several times and it made precious little difference - helped things minimally for a week or so but largely a waste of money. I then happened upon a ridiculously cheap DIY kit for relaxing Afro hair. It's called Dark & Lovely, costs about £6 does not wreck my hair and honestly is the best thing ever. I use it twice a year and that, coupled with Redken Frizz Dismiss shampoo & conditioner and the GHDs have completely transformed my hair. Honestly, give it a shot. It's about 12 times cheaper than the keratin blow dry thingy and a million times more effective.

villainousbroodmare Sun 29-Nov-15 16:19:08

I was about to suggest a Brazilian blowout (as apparently the "proper" procedure is called).
I have thick wavy hair, prone to hair fairies frizz, and I had one done 18 weeks ago. Still going strong. Before that, I used to get a salon blowdry twice a week.

It's a long procedure and I went to a very good salon for it. I bet there are places that skimp and maybe don't do it as effectively. The keratin is more or less ironed into your hair, strand by strand. It took about four hours in total.

It makes your hair dry very fast and smooth with just a hasty rough blast of the hairdryer.

But why don't you try Dark'N'Lovely first and see what that does for you?

I've also heard some good reports on a home kit for keratin treatment, available on Amazon.

AcrossthePond55 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:42:03

Honestly, the best thing I've found to keep my curly hair straight & not frizzy is Moroccan Oil and a big round curling iron.

BBO are too 'pricey' for me plus my stylist feels that they are unhealthy due to the release of formaldehyde.

carrielou2007 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:55:04

Trots off to order some Dark and Lovely grin OP we're hair twins, though my hairdresser is fabulous he can't straighten my hair as well as I can. Product makes such a difference, still looking for that holy grail have tried everything sold in Boots to no avail. Non-bush haired people always say have I tried frizz ease with a head tilt - I need industrial strength! Something with oil in it for me gives me the best result but still need something to 'hold' the style, half hour walk to school I get home and my hair is 5 times the size even in summer!

I had massive success with the Brazilian kit from Amazon, as in life changing, 5 mins to dry hair, 5 mins to GHD and no touch ups in the day. Used it three times in a year and my hair was shot to s**t and I had it cut into the shortest style I've ever had to cut it out.

So, the quest continues grin

LeSquigh Sun 29-Nov-15 18:40:52

I will look into the Dark and Lovely, thanks. Definitely find that lighter conditioner helps, the best so far is the Wella one in the white bottle but it's very hard to come by. Can sometimes find it in independent chemists.
You're right, Frizz Ease isn't great and actually I don't really notice any difference at all. Oils have their place, and Argan saved my hair when I was on the verge of cutting it off through damage a number of years ago.

Thanks for the recommendations.

LeSquigh Sun 29-Nov-15 18:41:37

Also, even when it doesn't "blow up" with frizz it still returns to wavy very quickly. It's like it's impossible to iron!

specialsubject Sun 29-Nov-15 19:27:53

wellastrate. I have extremely frizzy/curly hair and it is a miracle. Lasts best part of a year and in that time takes 5 mins to straighten. Rain proof when done.

worth every penny.

AddToBasket Sun 29-Nov-15 19:32:06

I have a Kebelo (a kind of keratin blow dry) every three months. MASSIVE difference. Definitely recommend it even if it is quite expensive. I feel I'm buying my time back as it takes so much less time to style.

Colourmylife1 Sun 29-Nov-15 20:26:35

I have difficult to manage curly hair with a tendency to frizz. I used to spend 30 mins blow drying in the morning and a fortune on anti/frizz products but with the slightest hint of humidity my hair would be a frizzy mess by the time I got to work.
I had a Nano Keratin treatment at Toni and Guy 4 weeks ago and it has changed my life ( okay in a very superficial way!). I have halved the blow dry time and my hair stays shiny, glossy and smooth whatever the weather. If I leave it to dry naturally it dries into lovely soft waves with no frizz. The condition is amazing and it feels very soft. It is without doubt the best beauty investment I have ever made and I will never be without it again. The only downside is that my hair now feels like it needs washed on day 2 but I can live with that.
I would recommend it to anyone. In my area it costs £100.

Pumpkinnose Sun 29-Nov-15 21:59:34

Sounds like the same problems as me. Like the sound of this Dark & Lovely, especially the price tag. Does anyone know if you can use on dyed hair? Thanks

MockTheWeek Sun 29-Nov-15 22:10:20

I've just ordered some Dark and Lovely as I have a similar issue with my hair. It says it is ideal for colour treated hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now