Talk

Advanced search

Temporary hold ups

(10 Posts)
Lucymatilde Sun 29-Nov-15 12:52:28

I prefer hold ups most of the time and wondered how long these last for others? One wear only before washing but after washing- gently - things seem to go downhill and I experience that jerk and then gradual slide during the morning. Often as I get up from sitting at my desk. I wondered how many uses others got? I often find the heavier denier the longer life.

Doobigetta Sun 29-Nov-15 13:02:14

I wore House of Fraser hold-ups all summer. Only one pair fell down on me, but they all, without fail, laddered after half a dozen wears.

LilyRose88 Sun 29-Nov-15 16:20:53

If you use fabric conditioner when you wash them, they will lose their 'stickiness' and fall down. I also find that some washing liquids like the gentle ones you use to wash woollens have the same effect.

Lucymatilde Sun 29-Nov-15 16:56:29

That's interesting Lily. I'll experiment

I always wear them and don't really have any problems. I buy fairly good quality ones, either Falke or Transparenze. I find that the thinner ones can ladder, like tights or stockings but that the thicker ones last for ages. If it's cold, perhaps oddly, I wear a sock inside them and that often stops my toes creating ladders.

I can wear them a couple of times inbetween washes and they retain their stickiness. I don't use fabric conditioner and don't moisturise before wear.

Lucymatilde Mon 30-Nov-15 07:04:28

That's interesting thank you Ifyoure. I am drawn to better brands but worry a little about the attrition rate. But at least with a ladder in one hold up the other lives on to fight another day. Can't quite imagine the sock thing. May the ask where you buy those brands?

MuttonWasAGoose Mon 30-Nov-15 23:36:00

A pair I bought recommend cleaning the rubbery bits with rubbing alcohol. I would, but I can't find it at the chemist's.

I keep meaning to try vodka.

Lucymatilde Tue 01-Dec-15 07:43:47

Interesting. Gin soaked hold ups.

Nabootique Tue 01-Dec-15 09:55:36

I get mine from Sainsburys and I have never had a pair slip down. I use fabric softener as well. They just keep going until they get a hole, but that doesn't happen often. I forget the denier though. Quite a thick one.

I've bought various sorts online from places like my tights and UK tights and stockings direct. There's so much more choice online. I bought online as I prefer navy blue or brown ones and they are hard to find in the shops.

Some of mine are fairly sheer but more often than not I wear opaques as like sheer tights sheer hold ups are prone to laddering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now