Talk

Advanced search

If you don't have a dressing table, where do you keep your makeup and hair stuff?

(24 Posts)
PurpleTreeFrog Wed 25-Nov-15 17:02:24

I do my hair and makeup downstairs for practical reasons, I also don't have a dressing table in our room.

At the moment I end up leaving my makeup bag, swively mirror, and hairbrush in random places downstairs. It looks especially gross and unhygienic when I leave my hairbrush on our white kitchen table with all the stray hairs tangled up in it... blush I think I need a more 'official' dedicated place to keep this stuf...

Where do you stash your hair stuff, makeup etc if you don't have a dressing table?

Yseulte Wed 25-Nov-15 17:06:41

The bathroom.

sparechange Wed 25-Nov-15 17:11:25

Hairbrush is on my bedside table, as is my serum. The hairdryer is plugged in next to it, so that works
I'm like you with make up. My make up bag lives in my handbag (a hangover from when I used to go to the gym before work or at lunchtimes, and do my make up in the changing rooms afterwards so had to have it with me)
Morning routine is to get the make up bag out of my handbag and then put it on in the mirror above my fireplace. Unless I'm running late, and then I do it on the bus grin

DH suggested a dressing table as a possible christmas present, but I just don't like the idea of one... Might get him to put a shelf up in the bathroom above the sink/under the mirror, and leave my stuff there instead

Lottapianos Wed 25-Nov-15 17:51:06

No room for a dressing table here. I keep almost everything in a cupboard in the bathroom, apart from nail varnish which is in a box in the bedroom. I lay out all required make up the night before on the kitchen counter, then do make up there in morning while eating breakfast! I hate clutter too OP, I have to have it tidied away when not using it

TheOddity Wed 25-Nov-15 17:56:56

I kind of have a dressing table, but I don't sit down and do it. I just hover near the table and use the mirror from an angle. It's in my bedroom with all my hair stuff in one of those ikea foldable fabric type boxes. I have to dust quite regularly there. So really for the way I do it, you could just plonk it on any horizontal surface of your choice, maybe just a sturdy shelf in your bathroom or bedroom?

MrsPear Wed 25-Nov-15 18:04:22

Perfume, deodorant, face cream etc on a white tray on top of chest of drawers, make up in a bag and hair brush in pjs drawer (directly below white tray) and hair dryer and straighteners in a holder behind white tray.

The make up has to be hidden from my youngest and my hair brush hidden from h who ruins it with hair styling stuff - if it wasn't for those two they would be in the white tray too.

Mirror wise I use the one on the wardrobe.

doublechocchip Wed 25-Nov-15 18:28:20

I use the top drawer of a Chest of drawers and I divide the make-up/hair stuff into the fabric drawer dividers from ikea. Works great as all the clutter stays out of sight and I can always find stuff!

Leviticus Wed 25-Nov-15 18:37:53

Top drawer of my chest here too. Otherwise I'd probably buy a plastic crate or basket and put it in the wardrobe.

ParcelP Wed 25-Nov-15 18:39:36

I have a boring plastic basket where I put stuff I use daily and keep that near the mirror. Everything else I have in other baskets on a shelf

ShortcutButton Wed 25-Nov-15 18:42:21

I keep my makeup in my work bag. And the hairdryer uunder a chair in the kitchen. But I don't brush my hair so there is no hairy brush hanging about

KondoAttitude Wed 25-Nov-15 18:43:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thebear1 Wed 25-Nov-15 18:52:52

Make up and skin care in plastic drawers in bathroom, hair stuff in a draw in bedroom.

PurpleTreeFrog Wed 25-Nov-15 18:56:24

I use the top drawer of a Chest of drawers and I divide the make-up/hair stuff into the fabric drawer dividers from ikea.

I used to do exactly that in the last place we lived in, worked really well. Can't believe I'd forgotten about that. Wouldn't work not though as we don't have drawers in our room anymore, just a room-length sliding wardrobe.

Might just stash it in a box somewhere downstairs.

The reason I do it downstairs now is that on work days my toddler is still asleep upstairs so I get ready downstairs to minimise noise. On my days off, doing it all on the kitchen table is the best way to keep it out his reach... Plus, on those days, I often don't brush my hair or put on any makeup til after lunch when he has his nap blush

TheOddity Wed 25-Nov-15 19:36:41

Yeah I'd get yourself to ikea or asda home or somewhere, buy yourself a really nice box with ample space for hairdryer, makeup bag, mirror etc and a lid, then just shove it all in there. Then you can store it wherever really and it will always look nice and tidy.

Yseulte Wed 25-Nov-15 20:26:38

Laura Ashley and other places do pretty storage drawers like this

I've also got mirrored drawers and boxes makeup and jewellery.

BrendaandEddie Wed 25-Nov-15 20:34:46

in drawers and cupboards on in the bathroom.

hate dressing tables

orlakielyimnot Wed 25-Nov-15 21:45:27

I'm currently using the old wooden cutlery tray from an ancient side board. It keeps everything open and easy to reach while and sectioned. What I struggle with is mirror and lighting. I'm near sighted I need to be right up to the mirror but the best one in our house has only a shaving light over it so instead I sit at a dressing table putting my back out trying to see what I'm doing!

Ememem84 Wed 25-Nov-15 21:58:16

Top left drawer of dresser has make up bag, Bobby pins etc. On top of dresser lives a wicker basket with moisturiser deodorant toner etc. Next to that is a jam jar with my makeup brushes.

Eminybob Wed 25-Nov-15 21:59:13

Bedroom window sill. It kind of acts as a dressing table, there is a double sided lit up mirror on there. It does look a bit messy but there's no room anywhere else. Plus I can gaze out the window in the morning while getting ready.

LoadsaBlusher Thu 26-Nov-15 10:20:47

In top drawer of a small chest of drawers in the spare room.
I hate clutter so when make up is applied it goes straight back Into drawer.
Hair items ( dryer/ dry shampoo/ Elnette etc) are in the second drawer down.
Deodorant and body balms are kept in bathroom cabinet ( nothing out or On display)

louloubelle2 Thu 26-Nov-15 14:20:38

I use one of these for makeup and hair stuff, the bottom drawer is big enough for big hair sprays, hair products etc

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40216357/

I planned to sand and paint it but I've had it about 10yrs and it hasn't happened, but it doesn't change how useful it is.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 26-Nov-15 14:50:44

I have a white basket to keep all my hair stuff in and this sits on the bottom shelf of a fabric shelf thing.
I take the whole basket with me to the mirror in the front room.
Do my hair then put it all back in the basket and put the basket back.
I CBA with make up but do have a small make up bag in the bathroom cabinet.
Got my basket thing in John Lewis but looks like almost everything is out of stock!

LuluandtheNightshade Thu 26-Nov-15 16:22:11

Make-up and hair stuff in the bathroom - on a big shelf! Make up in a make-up bag in a tray/basket (on top of the Lloyd Loom washing basket) with lots of other rubbish useful things
Hair dryer in the bedroom (for drying/styling)

Pandsbear Thu 26-Nov-15 16:24:19

Most make-up goes in the long top drawer of chest of drawers in bathroom right by the unforgiving daylight window. Perfect for most of the year apart from darkest mornings. Hair stuff in a cupboard also in bathroom. Hairdryer upstairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now