Talk

Advanced search

Which of these two bags?

(44 Posts)
SmillasSenseOfSnow Wed 25-Nov-15 16:00:35

I have ordered the following two bags in the respective Black Friday sales (NB: I realise Mumsnet generally hates Radley bags, but I figured that given it's about a specific bag versus another bag I'd get some useful opinions regardless):

www.radley.co.uk/chelsea-small-zip-top-grab-bag/

vs.

www.modalu.com/shop/black-friday/erin-mini-black.html

Both in black, though the dark brown Chelsea was quite tempting (but not what I think I'm after right now).

This is to replace a small grey cross-body bag I've been using for years now and which is looking a bit battered and doesn't go with much of what I wear anymore. This is the most I've ever spent on a bag so I'm finding the process a bit stressful...

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

LondonHuffyPuffy Wed 25-Nov-15 16:05:40

I prefer the Modalu one. It's boxier, I prefer the silver hardware and it's a lot cheaper than the Radley one!

MaisieDotes Wed 25-Nov-15 16:07:43

Another vote for the Modalu one. It's more stylish IMO.

MorrisZapp Wed 25-Nov-15 16:14:39

Massively prefer the Radley one, it looks brilliant quality.

I dislike Modalu purely because I think the zips on them look really hard and 'raw'.

MagicalHamSandwich Wed 25-Nov-15 16:25:12

The Radley one definitely. Don't like the zip on the other one ...

SmillasSenseOfSnow Wed 25-Nov-15 16:40:32

Thanks for the posts so far.

One of the key differences for me is the compartment situation, which I guess I'll need to evaluate once I've actually got the bags in front of me. I suspect I might regret not having one large compartment that I can wedge largeish items into if need be if I get the Modalu bag.

I'm a bit crap for wanting an 'everything' bag, which I can simultaneously put anything I might need in while still having it be pretty tiny. I suspect I'll need to buy a bigger bag in addition at some point, but that won't be any time soon. I use a very unstylish rucksack most of the time right now. I'm planning on mainly transporting an A6-A5 notebook/pad, some pens, my phone, my purse, a water bottle and an iPad in this bag.

Basically this will be a replacement for my small grey bag, which only just fits a water bottle, a purse, my phone, a small paperback book and some pens, I would say. As long as the bag I keep is 1. black and 2. a tiny, tiny bit bigger than the grey one and yet still small enough to use as a bag to take out to e.g. a restaurant of an evening, I should be good.

polyhymnia Wed 25-Nov-15 16:46:55

Prefer the Modalu one - I can't stand their Pippa range but do like that one.
Have always been one of the anti Radley people in past but must admit they've done quite a lot to improve their brand recently. But, though the Radley is OK, think it's somehow a bit boring, particularly for the price.

Tate15 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:38:44

I prefer the Modalu one. I find they are better made than the Radley ones which to me just look like leather versions of Next bags!

Bluecheese22 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:56:08

I like the Radley! No idea why mn dislike them, I've had some for years and they're still immaculate.

KateSpadeAddict Wed 25-Nov-15 21:09:29

I like the Modalu better smile I do like the Radley just not as much as the Modalu

DramaAlpaca Wed 25-Nov-15 21:12:54

I love the Radley one.

Glitterspy Wed 25-Nov-15 21:12:58

The Modalu one looks way cooler. Not taking into account any practicality - just a far better-looking bag imo.

curriegirl Wed 25-Nov-15 21:50:07

Modalu but I'd go for the bigger style rather than the smaller one.

jamtartandcustard Wed 25-Nov-15 22:42:35

I love radley bags! Why does mn not like them?
Though personally I'm not keen on either, they just look so grown up! Yes I realise I'm 31 and an actual grown up but they just look very mature and sensible. Sorry not much help

polyhymnia Wed 25-Nov-15 22:54:40

Agree about going for bigger version. One of reasons I came to hate my Modalu Pippa ( apart from the blingy metalware and fact it's very heavy) is that the small version just didn't work.

burnishedsilver Wed 25-Nov-15 23:12:01

I prefer the Radley. I'm jumping to conclusions from the photos but I think the leather looks softer.

Tate15 Wed 25-Nov-15 23:25:52

I've just seen a Fossil one in Cosmopolitan magazine that looks similar.

Tate15 Wed 25-Nov-15 23:27:31

www.fossil.com/uk/en/women/handbags/view-all/emerson-satchel-sku-zb6458340c.html

I like that, might have to get it!

LetGoOrBeDragged Thu 26-Nov-15 06:31:58

That fossil one looks like the logo is stuck on wonky! I have seen that even on quite expensive bags and it drives me batshit - I think for the kind of money bags cost, the least manufacturers can do is be careful with the details.

I mucb prefer the radley bag. I think the modalu is probably more fashionable but the radley is more classic. So if you are thinking long term, I'd go with radley. Their stuff is well made imo, better than some more expensive bags.

NoMilkNoSugar Thu 26-Nov-15 07:04:04

I had a bag with three compartments, it drove me mad, but that may have been because the sides weren't rigid enough. You have to be very disciplined with it and everything has its compartment and must stay in its place or you get to the till and are furiously searching for your purse but can't remember where you put it and then the panic sets in...

Higge Thu 26-Nov-15 07:28:11

Fossil then Radley and lastly Modalu - don't like the zip. But both bags are too conservative for my taste.

honeylou42 Thu 26-Nov-15 07:36:56

I like the Modalu one smile

polyhymnia Thu 26-Nov-15 10:28:28

I assume they're 'conservative' because the OP wants something suitable for the office. If that's right I think the Fossil might be a bit too slouchy - though I personally like an unstructured bag for everyday, as I'm no longer in a formal office environment.

PrimalLass Thu 26-Nov-15 16:44:03

I have a Radley bag that I love, so am not biased against them, but in this case the Modalu is far nicer.

PrimalLass Thu 26-Nov-15 16:47:25

But I like this one better.

www.radley.co.uk/fenchurch-street-small-zip-top-grab-bag/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now