Talk

Advanced search

Pretty sparkly party dress for a short fat 40 year old!

(36 Posts)
vanimal Wed 25-Nov-15 10:38:59

I need a party dress for Saturday, and am having a last minute panic!

Its a dressy evening do, and I am 40, 5'2" and currently a size 14 (my biggest ever weight sadsad) with flabby arms.

I like this dress from Debenhams but its a pale colour and I will have young children with me plus food and drink, not an ideal combination.

Budget is less than £100. And I need to order online today so I have time before the party!

Please can you help? smile

vanimal Wed 25-Nov-15 10:44:52

I should add that I would like the dress to be long as I have v unnattractive legs, and also I have a v flabby beer belly so something that detracts from that would be good.

I am lovely aren't I?!

Gruach Wed 25-Nov-15 10:58:46

Are you certain that "pretty and sparkly" is really what you want?

How about something from this website for a more contemporary look than you'll find in the shop you mentioned?

Gruach Wed 25-Nov-15 11:03:11

And I think this is beautiful and perfect for a dressy event.

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 11:36:32

I don't think it will be any good for you op. I have a long little mistress dress and it is long and I'm 5'6

I think it might be too long for you. My dress is almost identical except it's pale coffee. I must remember to eBay it as its too big for me . It was a possible to wear onmy wedding day but like was just too big.

After I've been inthe bath ican measure the length for you if you like.

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 11:49:16

I've been searching for a gorgeous Eliza j dress I think would have been perfect. It was there just the other day. It was a slightly darker version of the one I wore for my wedding. Mine is champagne, this is gold. It's gone. Mines there but only in a 12 . I'll post mine so you know what I'm on about.

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 11:54:17

This is mine

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Eliza+J+Jacquard+fit+and+flare+with+neck+embellishment/209904952,default,pd.html

It was beautiful, white shot with gold thread making it a lovely champagne colour. The gold one was similar just darker

Have a look round the house of Fraser Eliza j page, you might see something else you like.

SorrelForbes Wed 25-Nov-15 11:56:53

I recently bought this from Debenhams. I'm 5'3" and a size 12 and it's very flattering.

Vaia Wed 25-Nov-15 13:35:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EverybodyHatesATourist Wed 25-Nov-15 13:39:33

Does it have to be a dress? My friend is about your size and she bought this top in Matalan the other day, she's going to wear it with black trousers. It looked lovely on.

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 14:17:02

Just measured my dress. Op it's 62 inches long....that's 5 feet two ins.
It says it's a size 16 but I think more like an 18 .

The name on it says Maya.

It's very very pretty but very big. Suit a tall size 18 really.

Yseulte Wed 25-Nov-15 14:21:24

Sequin dress Asda £25

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 14:22:46

I think op has gone shopping...;-)

Yseulte Wed 25-Nov-15 14:27:48

shoes £30 Asos

Yseulte Wed 25-Nov-15 14:30:11

You're probably right.

I don't think long is good on 5'2.

vanimal Wed 25-Nov-15 14:35:47

Thank you lovely ladies! I have ordered these:

Might be too boring but maybe not?

I love this one and hope it fits, the online fitter thingy says it should <- saw the discount applied to this right before my eyes, I think I bought the last one!

Thank you for all of the links, I detest my fatness at the moment so I need to cover all of my sins the best I can.

I think the Little Mistress dress will be far too long, I may cancel that I think...

The House of Fraser website was a revelation to me!

vanimal Wed 25-Nov-15 14:37:45

I would normally agree that long on 5'2" is not good, but I am really horrible looking at the moment, so I just want to cover up. The weight is coming off slowly but I am 2.5 stone overweight at the moment, and that does not sit well on a short person!

vanimal Wed 25-Nov-15 14:38:41

Dowser I will cancel the Little Mistress one, thank you so much for taking the time to measure it for me!

Twinklestein Wed 25-Nov-15 18:18:08

You are not horrible looking atm, don't talk about yourself like that OP!

I really like the second dress.

Twinklestein Wed 25-Nov-15 18:19:03

That you just ordered I mean.

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 18:29:15

No problem ;-)

Both dresses are lovely so one of them should suit.

Hope they arrive on time.

dingit Wed 25-Nov-15 18:28:55

I'm a die hard Dorothy Perkins fan ( I don't think you get many admitting it on here, but who cares) they have just brought out a 'curve' range and have some nice party wear.

Dowser Wed 25-Nov-15 18:29:47

I'm glad you reminded me of my little mistress dress, I'll take a photo and get it on eBay tomorrow

Queenbean Wed 25-Nov-15 18:37:17

That black lace chi chi dress is absolutely beautiful

You will look divine in it, here's to having a bit more confidence OP wine

tethersend Wed 25-Nov-15 18:40:03

How about this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now