Talk

Advanced search

I've realised why I hate winter dressing

(18 Posts)
hippospot Wed 25-Nov-15 08:59:20

Well I hate winter is the first reason smile

It's because I find wool scratchy on my neck, yet the quality of synthetics often disappoints and isn't as warm. Anyone else?

What is the solution? Can cashmere be worn next to the skin if so I'll start saving

The other thing is footwear. I own two pairs of boring leather boots (flat), one riding, one ankle, they don't excite me in any way. I walk a lot so need flats. I also have a pair of New Balance, super comfortable. I end up wearing skinny jeans and one of these three pairs of footwear, with one of two coats on top, every day for months on end. For variety I can wear a few different scarves yawn. By March I am bored to death.

Whereas in summer I have a variety of summer dresses and skirts and sandals and it's so easy.

Anyone else? I'd welcome any ideas to make winter dressing more fun that doesn't involve too much shopping. Thanks

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 25-Nov-15 09:01:45

I'm in my onesie. Haven't been out since Saturday.

I recommend it 😄

Whatthefoxgoingon Wed 25-Nov-15 09:09:44

I have 30 pairs of boots, 15 coats, a tonne of cashmere and wool. I think you need more of a winter wardrobe we have longer cold weather here than warm.

Start with a cashmere scarf or snood and see if you find it comfortable.

louloubelle2 Wed 25-Nov-15 09:33:06

I love winter! However I'd never wear pure wool or cashmere next to my skin, not because I find it scratchy, but because its a bugger to wash and dry if its mid or heavy weight and I don't think it does it any good to wash too often. I always were a thin jersey top underneath, I like Uniqlo heatech which are synthetic but really warm, but you could get cotton or washable thin merino wool versions (contrary to what I just said, as a thermal it is super thin and smooth, like a cotton jersey).

I don't think there's anything wrong with only a few pairs of shoes (but I am trying to stick to a no spend period at the moment!), but if you're bored, then maybe one other pair of boots and one pair of trainers, if you really only have three pairs. How about biker boots, chunkier than what you have, flat, and great with skinnies. For trainers, what about some hi-tops, like converse (the leather versions would be good for winter, think they do fleece lined too) or Ash, also leather.

I think I always mention looking out for Quidco and discount code everytime I come one here, but really, thins weekend is going to be the mother of all discount weekends with Black Friday, so find what you want now and get ready. Asos, for example would be a great place to bookmarks what you want.

Pointlessfan Wed 25-Nov-15 09:36:03

I'm the exact opposite, I love wearing long boots and a nice coat in winter and feel much smarter than in summer when I always feel a bit scruffy, plus you don't have to keep shaving legs, putting on horrible sun cream etc in winter and can hide bad hair days under a hat!

burnishedsilver Wed 25-Nov-15 10:00:41

I have the same problem with wool. The answer is a mixed fabric with as much cotton as possible in it. I read the labels on everything. It makes jumper shopping a pita but it has to be done.

If you care about fashion and take pleasure from it, you need more winter clothes. I think you need to gradually build up your winter wardrobe. You can wear shirts and dresses in the winter too! Pick a shop you like and take inspiration from how they've styled their models on the website. I quite like the styling of hush and mint velvet. It's all very wearable.

Buy a few pairs of shoes that you really like. You've got the practical aspect covered but not everything has to be ultra practical. Not every event involves lots of walking.

maybemyrtle Wed 25-Nov-15 10:10:20

If you wear dresses in summer, why not in winter? You might want heavier fabrics, but maybe not. I have 3-4 all year dresses that are fine with bare legs in summer and with opaques and a cardi/underlayers in winter. I am wearing one now with lovely warm and non-itchy silk/cashmere blend tights (Falke, TK Maxx, bargain!). If you fancy this, I'd also recommend getting a half slip so the unlined summer-appropriate dresses don't ride up on the tights.

hippospot Wed 25-Nov-15 12:01:07

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I think I probably underestimated the clothes I have. I own:

denim dress
3 knitted dresses
denim mini
4 cardigans
4 pairs skinny jeans
3 chunky knits
6 fine knits
a few jersey tops to layer
a few dressy things that I haven't listed because they get worn infrequently

Technically I suppose it's enough clothes but I do get so terribly bored of them by the time spring comes around. I work from home/do school run so don't need to be smart, but equally like to look put together.

I think because most people see only my coat and footwear in winter it adds to the feeling of wearing the same day in, day out. Two coats is probably not enough! Whatthefoxgoingon I wish I had the space for that many boots and coats!

HapShawl Wed 25-Nov-15 12:09:44

Knit your own woolies so you get a better fit and quality than you would if you bought readymade for the same price. Plus you spend all summer looking forward to getting your lovingly-made creations out wink

Agree about plenty of base layers next to skin too

Twinklestein Wed 25-Nov-15 12:31:04

What you wear in the summer you can wear in warmer materials in the winter.

I wear dresses all the way through winter - merino wool, cashmere and cashmere/wool mix. And cashmere cardigans and skirts/trousers.

With an assortment of different boots.

hippospot Thu 26-Nov-15 17:17:20

Well today I've been shopping and bought a knitted tunic, a jumper, another two layering tops and a short jacket (I didn't own a jacket). I think my winter wardrobe might be a lot more versatile with these things.

Still need some other footwear though but bank balance won't allow just yet

Thanks for all your tips.

PennyPants Thu 26-Nov-15 18:22:18

I'm like whatthefox I have quite a collection of jackets/coats and boots. I can't wear wool anywhere near my skin either. Sounds like you have a good selection now.

poocatcherchampion Thu 26-Nov-15 18:26:41

I don't think that caring about what you wear necessarily means you need more. 2 pairs of boots is one more than I have and I don't have another footwear type. If you want more I'd have thought a shoe.

I'm fascinated by the project 333 blogs at the mo - sytke with minimalism

NathalieM Fri 27-Nov-15 15:18:22

I know what you mean about jumpers being uncomfortable. My mum has recommended soaking scratchy woollen jumpers in glycerin; it helps soften the fabric and stops it feeling irritating on your skin. Maybe it's worth trying on one jumper and then you can see if you want to try it on some others.

amarmai Fri 27-Nov-15 21:08:46

i ring the changes with my winter coats by layering vests / throws/ponchos on top of them -also extra warmth.

BrendaandEddie Fri 27-Nov-15 21:18:47

agree Winter clothes WAY more boring

Dowser Fri 27-Nov-15 22:16:05

Twinkle stein where do you get your dresses from please?

DinosaursRoar Fri 27-Nov-15 22:28:28

I think in the summer, there's more temptation to think about what you are wearing because it'll not be covered with a coat and if it's too hot for jeans, you really do need to think a bit more. Perhaps limit yourself to only wearing jeans twice a week and make yourself think more about the rest of your wardrobe?

(I find summer footwear harder than winter, because I have to do a lot of walking and lots of summery shoes rub - and I miss wearing socks).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now