Talk

Advanced search

turtle/roll/polo necks - possible to look good on bigger bust?

(28 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 24-Nov-15 19:52:55

I have a turtle neck top that I've had for years and it's perfect for this year's sixties themed fashion. However, I am short and ample of nork. Is it possible to make it look reasonable and detract away from the chest area or should I stay away?IdI'd like to wear it with a line skirts and maybe trousers. All opinons welcome! flowers

PurpleDaisies Tue 24-Nov-15 19:54:21

The short answer in my experience is no! I'm watching with interest to see if anyone come up with a solution...

Bluecheese22 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:56:57

Second the no! Another short busty person here. Any high neck just makes my boobs look like they're round my waist!

Creatureofthenight Tue 24-Nov-15 19:58:30

Another short person with big boobs giving a resounding no.

Twinklestein Tue 24-Nov-15 19:59:53

I think it depends how big your boobs are.

I'm 32e/30f, I wear skinny rib polos, and bodycon jumper dresses with polo necks.

But bigger I dunno...

P1nkP0ppy Tue 24-Nov-15 20:01:22

I disagree, you need a good fitting bra, not tight fitting and stick to dark colours with A-line skirt. Keep jewellery to a minimum.
If Marilyn Monro could do it (she was a size 16) then so can you.

mangocoveredlamb Tue 24-Nov-15 20:02:29

No! Much to my disappointment. I find I can manage a cowl neck though!

Seeyounearertime Tue 24-Nov-15 20:03:41

V neck jackets, vertical designs on the actual top itself, statement necklaces and scarves all help.

For the 'ample of nork' (what a great phrase smile)
Try:
www.clothes-for-big-breasts.com
they actually cover turtle necks here:
www.clothes-for-big-breasts.com/turtleneck.html

FoggyMorn Tue 24-Nov-15 20:06:55

In my opinion, no. 36H here, and I find scoop or v neck (preferably with a fitted shape under the bust) is the only thing that works. Other necklines looks frumpy and awful, and if tops are loose under the bust, I look stones heavier.

Twinklestein Tue 24-Nov-15 20:08:58

That website uses pics of polo necks in its celebration of turtle necks.

DickDewy Tue 24-Nov-15 20:11:13

A big no from me, too.

Twinklestein Tue 24-Nov-15 20:15:51

Kim Kardashian wears a lot of turtle necks, and while I'm not advocating dressing like the Kardashians shock she does pull it off.

Seeyounearertime Tue 24-Nov-15 20:17:34

twinklestein
Theyre the same thing aren't they? Only different country usage?
I think UK we call them Polo but US say Turtleneck?
I thought anywho.

keeponkeepinon Tue 24-Nov-15 20:20:55

32gg. Too norky?

keeponkeepinon Tue 24-Nov-15 20:22:49

I was thinking turtleneck was the term as it doesn't roll or anything. Just a very high neck that fits close.

Twinklestein Tue 24-Nov-15 20:25:44

Yes that's my understanding too Keepingon. (No idea what they call what in the U.S.)

<-- The black is a turtle neck and the grey is a polo neck.

Seeyounearertime Tue 24-Nov-15 20:27:23

From the font of all knowledge... Wikipedia.... grin
A polo neck, roll-neck[1] (UK) or turtleneck (US, Canada) or skivvy (Australia, New Zealand) is a garment—usually a sweater—with a close-fitting, round, and high collar that folds over and covers the neck. It can also refer to type of neckline, the style of collar itself, or be used as an adjective ("polo necked").

Skivvy? That means something else in UK... shock

keeponkeepinon Tue 24-Nov-15 20:44:40

Yep its a turtleneck twinkle
I'm not sure if it is going to look right. I am also sort of broad shouldered so I think I maybe just look bigger all over in it. Gutted thoigh as I like this top. Maybe if I can become a bit thinner.
What can one wear with a line sixties black skirt then. I was thinking of having something tucked in so it is a bit more streamlined at the waist. I want it sort of fitted under the bust because just as someone said up thread, if it billows out from the bust it adds so much weight. Any ideas please?

keeponkeepinon Tue 24-Nov-15 20:45:50

Long sleeves preferred!

LadyB49 Tue 24-Nov-15 20:56:01

I'd say no.... for a 36 gg I always always wear scoop or V. If it's cool I add scarf or pashmina, even in the house.

If you really want to wear the polo/turtle neck then as others have suggested, wear it under a jacket, gilet, soft scarf, break the area up.

Footle Tue 24-Nov-15 20:58:25

Cowl necks, if you can find them.

keeponkeepinon Tue 24-Nov-15 21:13:43

See, I thought cowl necks would add bulk at the front?

It's for a night out so I would like something reasonably dressy.

tethersend Tue 24-Nov-15 21:13:58

I wear them all the time- escape the tyranny of the V neck grin

Close fitting, high polo necked tops with a long 70s pendant necklace.

There was another thread on this a couple of days ago. I am short and large of nork (32E or even F) - I like them.

LadyB49 Tue 24-Nov-15 22:36:33

A cowl neck looks ok if its fine knit fabric.... but too warm for me.
Close fitting high polo neck with long necklace is great as per pp..... as long as the wearer has a trim rib cage/waist area smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now