Talk

Advanced search

mum boots ?!

(18 Posts)
Donge13 Tue 24-Nov-15 15:56:27

I keep seeing people saying mum boots on threads. When I look at the picture I see just boots, so I am obviously wearing mum boots can someone please tell me, what are not mum boots but are suitable for every day wear.

Diddlydokey Tue 24-Nov-15 16:04:54

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_052010551388_-1

Mum boots - note the sole, this is the key for me. It just signals comfort over style - frumpy.

www.riverisland.com/women/shoes--boots/ankle-boots/black-buckle-heeled-ankle-boots-677273

Not mum boots

www.riverisland.com/women/shoes--boots/ankle-boots/Grey-suede-zip-side-ankle-boots-663050

Not mum boots

Seeyounearertime Tue 24-Nov-15 16:06:36

I'd say, and please don't shoot me if im wrong, anything in style now is classed as 'Non Mum Boot' where as anything that was in style previously is 'Mum boot'

Right now Mum boots are knee high biker flat styles.
Non Mum boots are Chelsea boot or other ankle boots.

I think that's right.

WhatamessIgotinto Tue 24-Nov-15 17:08:53

www.marksandspencer.com/leather-panelled-ankle-boots-with-insolia/p/p22245763?extid=ps_gglpla_UK_Gen_,Women%20_PLAWomen%20-->%20Clothing%20-->%20Workwear%20-->%20Office%20Shoes%20&%20Boots_M&S%20Leather%20Panelled%20Ankle%20Boots%20with%20Insolia®%20BLACK%208&s_kwcid=AL!2750!3!{creative!{matchtype}!{placement}!{network}!{product_partition_id}!&ef_id=VeeCgAAABev7fCK1}

I believe these the the traditional kind of mum boots. smile

polyhymnia Tue 24-Nov-15 17:28:31

Yup those M and S ones certainly qualify. Not sure it's just comfort over style because they often have a heel which, for me at least, doesn't equal comfort.

73dexter Tue 24-Nov-15 17:34:58

Every time someone posts a boot of pretty much any colour or description on here then someone will say it is a mum boot.

Featherstep Tue 24-Nov-15 22:49:53

Lots of ankle boots are 'mum boots'. Those M&S ones tick a lot of boxes - square toe, strange leather panels, a heel that's kind of neither high nor low, neither block nor slim but tapered. Also the slim, ankle-hugging shape is now dated.

These ones are not 'stylish' but certainly less 'mum' (to me anyway) because of the toe shape and the straight heel.
www.marksandspencer.com/leather-round-toe-block-heel-ankle-boots-with-insolia/p/p22401767?mfPartNumber=T027214&carousel=FUNV_RR

These to me are far more stylish. I would like a pair!!
www.marksandspencer.com/leather-ankle-boots-with-insolia/p/p22401481

polyhymnia Tue 24-Nov-15 23:26:15

Now I think those first M and S ones Feather posted look really mum boot like and dreary. Agree second ones a bit better, though I personally don't like the height of the heels.
But then I just don't fell stylish in any M and S shoes or boots, as with Clarks, though I freely admit that might be my problem and all in my head, as both have plenty of supporters on here.

yazzy85 Wed 25-Nov-15 00:08:57

Are these mum boots as well? They are Clarks but seem trendy being biker style.

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26113050

Featherstep Wed 25-Nov-15 00:22:41

It must be one of those 'your mileage may vary' things.
yazzy those to me are not, I've seen plenty of younger women/ girls wear that kind of thing though I won't consider them, they are too clunky and unflattering for me.

poly I wore high block heel Clarks ankle boots to Fashion Week last season and they were good enough to get me an outfit snap. Soft leather and the most comfy high shoes I have ever worn. Nothing like that this season though. Totally converted!

burnishedsilver Wed 25-Nov-15 01:31:22

Sometimes it's not the boot itself but how you wear it.

yazzy85 Wed 25-Nov-15 07:36:22

Thanks Featherstep. I bought that pair but have been on the fence about whether I should keep them or not. Lovely soft material, just the length is a bit more than the usual ankle boot style.

FrancesOldhamKelsey Wed 25-Nov-15 07:52:44

The key to a mum boot is compromise. My mother's phrase "just a bit of a heel" is a giveaway. The original mum boots were those black M&S ones but any practical style worn a couple of years after it had its fashion peak probably tends to mum status.

Of course nobody is forcing you to care. I'm still occasionally wearing knee high riding boots with skinnies although it's a look more over than an entire 5 day Test Match.

Higge Wed 25-Nov-15 08:35:41

I think it's how you wear it too, but for me it's generally an over-safe, deliberately classic but not stylish, 3-5cm heel, black worn with flappy boot cuts and a outdoors Gortex style rain coat, it's generally a frumpy look. I don't think it includes Biker boots.

HolgerDanske Wed 25-Nov-15 08:51:53

It's not as simple as trendy vs previously trendy - lots of classic styles are not mum boots, or only in certain outfit combinations. Chelsea boots aren't mum boots unless they're not quite 'right' somehow.

There's also nothing wrong with wearing mum boots, it's just that if you can wear a more stylish, trendy or nice-looking shoe and have a choice on what to spend on, then why not!

Someone's comment about it being a compromise issue is just right IMO - that awkward neither here nor there heel, in just the wrong shape. Or the almost trendy but missed it by a smidgen style, or maybe something that's a little too Comfortable, with no redeeming style points.

HolgerDanske Wed 25-Nov-15 09:00:24

I agree that no one is forcing you to care - honestly, I make quite a big effort stylistically but there are days when I'm well aware that I'm not getting it quite right in terms of being current or trendy, and I'm perfectly relaxed about that. As long as I like it I'll quite happily wear it.

And I also don't particularly care when others have strayed into the mum boot territory. Yes I might notice in passing that it's not quite on point, but it's not the end of the world! So all that to say, don't worry too much about it!

Ask here regarding any boots you're thinking about and go by the general consensus and you'll generally be pretty safe smile

Also, regarding biker boots, some definitely are mum boots. Usually the ones that are trying just a little too hard to be cool without quite getting there. And with biker boots I do think you need to make sure they go with your general wardrobe otherwise it just looks wrong. Other than that I think they're a pretty safe choice st the moment.

Freya888 Mon 30-Nov-15 13:32:22

I see no difference between mum boots and casual boots. For example. I am wearing these shoes . I feel comfy in them and I like the design. They are leather and sturdy.

Higge Tue 01-Dec-15 07:01:57

Freya - I love those boots <sits on hands, already have sturdy winter Blundstone boots>. But they are not mum boots.....not even close - Lara Croft would wear those boots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now