Talk

Advanced search

help with post-baby day to day wear

(9 Posts)
bobsalong Tue 24-Nov-15 12:10:42

I say post-baby, 5 months down the line and I'm still in the same unflattering, slouchy stuff I was in before she was born. Still in my maternity leggings which are up to my bra and baggy as hell sad
I want to look smart, more adult, more put together! So even if I feel knackered and bedraggled at least I can throw on some clothes which are nice.

Some info-

26, 5"5, was a size 12. Now...14-16. I am an hourglass figure. Legs are back to pre-pregnancy size, but still have bingo wings and the blobby tummy.

At the moment my best outfits consist of vest top dresses, layered, with long cardis and leggings. I'm longing for comfy sweaters, nicely cut trousers and pretty tops but honestly everything makes me look like a fucking marshmallow. Can anyone recommend anything sort of inbetween (I am happy with my "best outfits" but I can't wear the same two tops and cardigans day in day out), or even any brands/sites that are good? I've tried New Look, H&M, Gap, Primark (gah), supermarkets etc. Nothing I go for suits me or even fits me properly.

Please style me netmums? sad

Buttercup27 Tue 24-Nov-15 12:13:52

biscuitangry for net mums
BUT
I was almost exactly the same size/shape after dc and found I couldn't get trousers to fit easily at all . So went for leggings, nice tunic tops and dresses and a good pair of boots.

bobsalong Tue 24-Nov-15 12:18:25

Bollocks, i'm sorry guys! I've recently come over here from netmums, force of habit. I'm actually blushing! blush

Fleurchamp Tue 24-Nov-15 17:53:19

Following this - I am in the same position but also BFing (for next couple of months).

Also, I am shallow and don't want to spend too much when I hope that I won't remain this size forever blush

PurpleWithaMysteryBun Tue 24-Nov-15 19:34:58

Hush has been my go to and uniform since I was about your point.

I have lived in this dress, perfect for breastfeeding

this skirt

and their long length tank tops,(ideal as a bumcovering base layer and stretchy for bf) I also have t shirt that has since sold out and a pair of leggings. That lot, some new look jeggings, some cardigans and boots I already had, has seen me through recently.

Fleurchamp Wed 25-Nov-15 08:23:13

Thanks purple

I recently discovered hush! I have a jumpsuit of theirs for a few Christmas events but I love the look of the Newport dress - I dismissed it as not BF friendly!

Now to dig out a discount code....

trilbydoll Wed 25-Nov-15 08:30:38

Jeggings are stretchy but look a bit more like proper clothes than leggings, I wear them with long tops.

Still leggings and dresses, I am not so worried about looking a little bit fat, I figure as dd2 is always with me people won't think I'm pregnant!

And Primark skinny jeans have a bit of stretch as well, altho I go one size up.

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Wed 25-Nov-15 08:56:09

hmm over netmums... (ultimate insult round here!)

I'd go for stiff waisted skirts, with a t shirt or vest top tucked in, and a cardi.

Skirts automatically look more put together than leggings, and a stiff skirt will skim over the stomach.

If you've got decent legs, then something like this with tights and flats

Cheap too

Personally I'd also really recommend getting a new pair of jeans in your current size. Even if you go back to maternity jeans (who really cares???).

You don't get much more classic than a pair of well fitting jeans in a dark wash, neutral ballet pumps (or even boots), a t shirt and nice cardigan (even next do plenty of decent cardigans).

Then all you need to do is whack some nice stud earrings in, brush your hair (or take an extra 30 seconds to tie it back properly rather than just shoving it up), and put some lip balm on.

Clothes will only make up about half of how you look though - taking five minutes to put even the smallest amount of make up on and ensuring you don't have birdsnest hair will make an incredible difference too!

PurpleWithaMysteryBun Wed 25-Nov-15 20:02:49

If I wear tight fitting skirts or jeans I have a muffin top and I am now a slimmish 12 (and reducing) just not comfortable attire for me post dc 3.

Fleur definitely search for a code, I am thinking there will be a sale soon.. hopefully!

The hush long length tank tops are ideal with jeggings, I often wear a t shirt on top, of that with a cardiga. White stuff can be a bit dodgy imo, however their Alice tee is a great shape for me, lots of colours and lifts easily for bf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now