Talk

Advanced search

not really style or beauty - thermals!

(27 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 24-Nov-15 11:12:42

I need to buy some thermals online. Warm but can cope if I then get over hot as you can't really strip them off when you are out and about! Where would you buy them from?

80sWaistcoat Tue 24-Nov-15 11:15:25

I like very fine merino and silk as for me they control the temperatur well. I just cook in artificial fibre thermals. NZ Nature do some v good ones. TK Maxx also sometimes has them on line in the ski range this time of year.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 24-Nov-15 11:17:45

Good starting point, thank you smile

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 24-Nov-15 12:45:04

Have you tried uniqlo?

sleepwhenidie Tue 24-Nov-15 12:47:19

Uniqlo Heat Tech.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 24-Nov-15 13:19:05

Thought I'd replied! uniqlo made me really hot and sweaty when things got warmer the other day when I was working outside. Though the other millions of layers I was wearing might have been a contributory factor! It's just the leggings I need really.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 24-Nov-15 13:20:49

My dad's a big fan of Patagonia thermal leggings in the winter. Thankfully he wears trousers over them!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 24-Nov-15 13:21:55

Mind you, they are a good price!

MovemberSucks Tue 24-Nov-15 13:23:29

Lands' End do thermals, both silk and man-made fibre. My Mum has just bought some for a trip to Antartica, but she hasn't tried them out yet so I can't comment on how warm they are.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 24-Nov-15 14:16:45

Thats a trip and a half!
thanks smile

MovemberSucks Tue 24-Nov-15 17:09:40

She reckons that there's no knowing how long she will be in good enough health to travel so she's going EVERYWHERE and making memories for when she's stuck at home. grin

MadisonMontgomery Tue 24-Nov-15 19:35:36

I've just bought an Under Armour thermal top - it's fab, really does make a difference.

HoneyDragon Tue 24-Nov-15 19:40:36

I use the thermal leggings and the fleece lined leggings (actually footless tights) from Primark.

Because, they are warm on their own and mega toasty with trousers, and here's the clever bit. If you wear a bum covering top/jumper you can whip your trousers off and still look socially acceptable.

vindscreenviper Tue 24-Nov-15 19:48:59

Another vote for Patagonia here, well worth the money. I have some Capeline tops and leggings that are 20 years old and are still serviceable. I mostly use them for winter climbing or summer alpine climbing, they keep me warm while I'm standing about belaying but don't make me overheat once I'm moving again. They do sometimes have the tops in t k maxx or in the sales at climbing shops like Outside or Needle Sports.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 24-Nov-15 21:00:24

Handy tip HoneyDragon! Movember - your Mum is one cool lady!

I have fair bit of browsing to do, but good to have some names to look up. I need them pretty soon so no chance to go visiting shops.

Orangesarenot Tue 24-Nov-15 21:20:38

I highly recommend the brand Icebreaker, New Zealand Merino Wool. They are so much warmer, and yet breathable, than Uniqlo and similar high st equivalents. Pricey but they wash and wear well. My top tip is to actually go for the smallest mens size - they are a bit thicker and usually a bit longer which helps to keep the waist warm.

AppleSnapple Tue 24-Nov-15 21:24:36

I like the heatgen m&s ones, but I haven't tried any of the above so can't really compare. They do them in a normal lightweight as well as heavier ones. I have the former and you could def whip off your jumper and get away with it as a long sleeved t-shirt (albeit a fairly clingy one!)

Naicecuppatea Tue 24-Nov-15 21:28:22

I also like the heatgen m&s ones. I don't normally wear synthetic fibres, but these are much thinner than cotton could be so ideal for layering without being bulky. I also wear them as a long sleeved top on their own. They last and wash well. I don't know how thin a merino base layer is in comparison.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 25-Nov-15 13:36:09

I bought a pair of Capilene leggings from needlesports for £20 - half price smile thank you!

DoctoraNova Wed 25-Nov-15 15:17:19

I second icebreaker. Amazing. I have bought heaps of them online from NZ store www.thewoolpress.com, quick delivery and better value. I love love love love them. They do all layers: base, mid and outer. I have a lovely wool coat from them too. I dream about having full icebreaker thermals for my kids but so far only the boy has inherited a hoody. He looks super cool in it.

DoctoraNova Wed 25-Nov-15 15:19:40

And you'd be surprised, some of their stuff is quite stylish, in a simple way (not the leggings, ha!) - eg, I had a great wool travel day-night dress from them. That magical piece of clothing that always came out of a rucksack looking perfect.

80sWaistcoat Wed 25-Nov-15 16:06:22

I've had an Icebreaker Merino mid weight top with a half zip for about 25 years now and its still going strong. Fantastic buy even though I dithered for ages as I thought it was so expensive. No pong!

vindscreenviper Wed 25-Nov-15 17:47:13

Nice one OYBK, I'm going over to the Lakes this weekend so I'll be packing mine (and the waterproofs-weather looks awful), in fact I might swing by Needlesports and have a poke around their sale-rail.

nicestrongtea Wed 25-Nov-15 18:59:30

I have a selection -from Uniqlo, the M&S ones and then full silk and merino German ones.

Its a matter of choosing your type of thermal depending on the conditions.
I use the wool and silk if Im likely to warm up ( out walking, chopping logs etc) as its quite breathable.
The others for less active days like out shopping or in the house.

BikeRunSki Wed 25-Nov-15 19:05:58

Another vote for Paragonia - I gave some that must be 20 years old. I also love Howies merino base layers. Pricey, but keeps you warm, doesn't overheat and doesn't smell. I use my tops year round to run in and have one that must be 10 years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now