Talk

Advanced search

Tweed jackets for men, does anywhere do longer sleeves?

(10 Posts)
magnificatAnimaMea Mon 23-Nov-15 22:20:03

Can't usually buy stuff off the peg for DH other than M&S gibbon two inches longer range. He'd like a tweed jacket for Christmas, but I can't really afford to get one made.

Does anywhere that does men's tweed jackets have a "really tall and skinny" option? Can usually only get the right arm length if buying something about 10 sizes too big in the body...

We're not in the UK so it also needs to be online.

lavendersun Tue 24-Nov-15 06:04:16

DH has the same problem. Every jacket he owns comes from JCrew or Banana Repulblic, both do long or tall in the US not sure about here.

Boden do long or tall jackets but they weren't long enough for him, I bought one last year and had to return it.

lavendersun Tue 24-Nov-15 06:07:36

Must add that you are right about sizing up. Dh is 44 chest 34 waist and most normal things that fit in the arm/length are made for a 48" waist.

I encourage him to buy anything that fits properly!

Fannyfannakerpants Tue 24-Nov-15 06:15:26

My husbands jackets are all from m&s or house of fraser. I don't think the house of fraser ones were sold as long but they are definitely much longer than elsewhere. He's 6f6" and he is big but definitely not as big as they assume he should be at most places. If that makes sense?

magnificatAnimaMea Tue 24-Nov-15 08:42:33

Thanks. Yes DH is 6ft 6 as well, and 32 inch waist and probably about 36 chest? He's a complete beanpole, arms even longer than height... Boden long stuff is way too short. The only things he's ever had that have fitted have all been made for him - even the M&S 2 inches longer things are a bit short in the sleeves. Might just give in and go to a tailor...

lavendersun Tue 24-Nov-15 08:51:16

It is so hard magnificat. DH can't stretch his arms out in anything with a long/tall label without looking daft.

J Crew slim cut tall is the best fit for him.

cressetmama Tue 24-Nov-15 09:03:08

DH found a tweed jacket he liked but that was too small and contacted the manufacturer, which made one for him with a longer body and sleeves. It was a few years ago.

amazonianwoman Tue 24-Nov-15 12:08:03

Charles Tyrwitt?

Slim fit with long sleeves option.

73dexter Tue 24-Nov-15 12:11:00

Jaeger do a longer length. It might be worth checking out their outlet site as well as their normal site.

Ladyflip Tue 24-Nov-15 19:07:24

I have a 6'8 DH and getting clothes to fit is a nightmare. We have had great success with this company www.slaters.co.uk/suits/tailoring/mens-blazers?brand=639

Don't know about ordering online, but if you can get to a shop, a tailor will pin the jacket to fit, they alter it for free and post it to you once completed. Absolutely excellent service and reasonable prices. They even have a choice of tweed jackets. My DH loves his, and has subsequently bought a suit from Slaters as well. Great for non normal sized men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now