Talk

Advanced search

I have huge norks - can I wear a rollneck?

(36 Posts)
LexLoofah Sat 21-Nov-15 19:37:46

I am 5ft and a smidge, size 12, spot of tummy flab but not that bad.

Can I wear a roll neck top or stick with the usual v-neck? Thought it would look good with a shortish wool skirt and tights plus be a sight warmer as well.

Whythehellnot Sat 21-Nov-15 19:41:02

I bought one because they are in fashion and I look horrendous in it. I have kept it to wear under things when it is really cold. They are not flattering on a big chest.

LettuceLaughton Sat 21-Nov-15 19:43:45

Of course you can! A lot of people will say it shouldn't ever be done but can. I've seen it look great on a lot of people.

kilmuir Sat 21-Nov-15 19:44:44

no

bonzo77 Sat 21-Nov-15 19:45:29

Of course you can. But you might look like a sofa. If you are otherwise teeny tiny but tall, like over 5ft 8 and a size 8 with long legs and neck, maybe. But otherwise I wouldn't.

museumum Sat 21-Nov-15 19:47:51

Depends on your neck and chin and all sorts. I can't sad but I can wear a floppy wide cowl.

venusinscorpio Sat 21-Nov-15 19:49:08

I do (36e). Tend to wear them with a necklace to break it up a bit and take the attention away from my boobs (as much as is possible!). It looks nice with a short skirt, tights and boots. Would never wear a chunky one though, just a fine knit.

Higge Sat 21-Nov-15 19:51:12

I think I can - I have a long neck, slim frame and am 5ft 8in but massive norks - I love polo necks - they frame my face beautifully.

LexLoofah Sat 21-Nov-15 19:51:54

why thanks, I think deep down I knew it would not be the best look but was hoping there might be some way to get away with it.

I have a jersey highish scoop necked dress which I wear with thick dark tights & boots that I think looks good (but perhaps I am wrong), maybe dresses better than separate skirt and top?

what am I supposed to wear in winter as an alternative to the jeans/jeggings and a jumper?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 21-Nov-15 19:52:24

I always thought the answer was no, so stuck to V-necks, but I've actually got 3 new rollnecks and I get lots of compliments.

Mine are chunky knits, and slim fitting enough that they go back in under the boobs and show that I have a waist, but not skin tight.

LexLoofah Sat 21-Nov-15 19:55:58

ooh anchor where did you get yours from if you don't mind saying?

I guess a mega shapely and supportive bra is in order too? Have lost weight so really need to go and get new ones

Higge Sat 21-Nov-15 19:58:18

Wear a jumper with a similar shade knit scarf?

Higge Sat 21-Nov-15 19:58:54

Moulded balcony bra works best for me

toffeeboffin Sat 21-Nov-15 20:03:40

I wear them all the time, fairly big boobs. Make sure it's a fine knit in one or you'll look like a marshmallow.

Good with skirt and boots.

LettuceLaughton Sat 21-Nov-15 20:03:55

Yeah, they do need to be fitted and none too bulky. TBH a find one with little bit of thickness / texture more flattering than very thin, slinky ones.

A properly fitting bra is always important, for comfort and the sake of your back as much as how good they make the norkage look.

Definitely agree that an uplifting bra is required.

I read that it helps to put your hair up with a roll neck. I've tried this and it definitely works.

With hair up and a good bra it pushes the eye up and avoids one looking too norky.

BrendaandEddie Sat 21-Nov-15 20:30:56

a necklace with a roll neck? NOOO

Lex - I'm the same size as you (tiny bit taller) and I wear them a lot, either thin ribbed jumpers or thinner jersey ones. I think they look fine on me - need a decent bra underneath, and I like to wear a biker over them because my bikers are quite fitted and nip me in at the waist a bit and break up the expanse of nork!

It's been one of my signature looks since I was a completely flat chested 17 year old!

Higge Sat 21-Nov-15 20:54:43

I can never wear ribbed - the stretch over the boobs looks awful on me. I thought it was a norky no no - interesting to hear others can get away with it.

Higge - I size up so it's not stretched or clingy, but not baggy either.

Higge Sat 21-Nov-15 20:59:36

I'll try that Remus - but I have scars wink

BlueEyedWonder Sat 21-Nov-15 21:07:24

I say yes!
Stick to darker plain knits.
Gap and Uniqlo do slim fit merino ones.
break up the neckline with a necklace or wear under a v neck dress or top.

LexLoofah Sat 21-Nov-15 21:11:21

remus thanks I know what you mean about the expanse, like acres of nork a dream for most men but not a clothes designers it would seem <all those dresses that are lovely apart from the fitted bits that are supposed to contain actual real breasts but would perhaps just about fit an egg I am looking at you> digressing sorry, guess I will need to actually go and try on as hard to tell online just how fitted or finely ribbed they are

thnx all

TimeToMuskUp Sat 21-Nov-15 21:16:05

I'm a 36E and wear roll necks, but only in very limited ways; always black or navy with pinafore dresses or short skirts and knee high boots they look good. Fine knits look lovely, I bought a chunk grey one not long ago and looked like a fool.

I think it depends entirely what you wear it with. Find what suits your body and go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now