Talk

Advanced search

Hyper pigmentation and scaring

(7 Posts)
PhoenixReisling Sat 21-Nov-15 17:29:48

I get mild acne on my cheeks/jawline and have done since my teenage years bastard PCO.

It's not this so much that frustrates me, but the scarring and redness afterwards. This makes my face look worse than it actually is.

Now I am able to use makeup to hide this but I wanted to ask what do any of you kind mumsnetters do to speed up the healing process which lessens the scarring?

At the moment I exfoliate three times a week, use a chickpea/lemon mask (I make myself) and use a derma roller weekly well mostly. I also drink quite a lot of water, eat a healthy diet prob a bit too much wine.

Can anyone recommend any products, different facial routine?

(FYI I have just ordered some snail cream).

Wolpertinger Sat 21-Nov-15 18:49:18

Acid toning and retinol. Both will prevent formation of new spots and speed up resolution of hyperpigmentation after spots. If you have proper ice pick scars then really you want laser.

Routine would be something like:

Non-foaming cleanser eg Cetaphil
Acid toner eg LRP Effaclar Duo, Paula's Choice 2% BHA
Oil-free moisturiser eg Cerave (has added niacinamide so extra anti-acne properties)

In the evening you would add your retinol pre moisturising - LRP Redermic R or Paula's Choice again are going to be reliable products with proper doses of retinol.

If you are mega serious you would go the whole hog for Retin A. I have done this and skin did look amazing but have given up and now spots and pigment are entirely banished by the salicylic they come back as soon as I forget

What are you currently exfoliating with? If it isn't salicylic acid, it probably isn't helping your acne.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Sat 21-Nov-15 21:36:09

Is lrp effaclar duo cream an acid toner?? Or is there an actual effaclar duo toner as well as a cream?

Wolpertinger Sat 21-Nov-15 22:00:00

Effaclar Duo cream has salicylic in it so will work as an acid toner. Personally I found it quite moisturising as well so I didn't need moisturiser as well but a tube goes v quickly while a big bottle of Paula's Choice or Clinique Mild Clarifying may be more £££ to buy but lasts for months. The Clinique is good but much milder than the Paula's Choice so might not be enough for everyone's acne.

And yes there is now an Effaclar salicylic toner but I'm not sure if you can buy it separately - they launched it in a kit with other products.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Sat 21-Nov-15 22:50:00

Ah thank you smile

I have been using the effaclar duo but was also using nip and fabs dragon blood (I think?) pads. Thinking it may have been a salicylic acid overload.

Will be buying some Paula's Choice 2% stuff after Christmas (will look more into it closer to the time)

My skin has gone beyond crazy in the past three months and I'm finding it hard to get my shit together.

BobbleCat Sun 22-Nov-15 13:00:07

Ice cube on the spots for a few minutes when they first come up really helps how much they scar after.

Agree with acid toning. Liquid Gold is a classic, but also like the Juice Beauty Green Apple range. Tried a brightening pad, saw a difference after one use, so have gradually tried the whole range and really love them, combining them does really increase the results. Now use cleanser, brightening pads, serum and moisturiser nightly, along with the hydrating mist from their main range.

XiCi Sun 22-Nov-15 17:25:23

For those that can't afford Paulas Choice there is a Korean brand called CosRx which does a 2% salicylic toner that is fab, I've been using it a few months now. In reviews comparing the two brands it came out more favourably than the Paulas choice. You can get it for around a tenner from Korean sellers on eBay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now