Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions/where to look for a special item of jewellery for my mum's 50th birthday...?!

(23 Posts)
PurpleTreeFrog Sat 21-Nov-15 14:31:44

My lovely mum is turning 50 (yes, she was a young mum) and I'd like to get her a special item of jewellery. My budget is between £50 - £500... I really want to give her something she can keep forever. I wanted to send her on holiday but I think someone else is already doing that!

She has a modern style and usually prefers silver jewellery but I think if it's something quite sleek and stylish then it could be gold.

I'd love some suggestions as I don't really know where to start my search. The high street jewellers where I live tend to be a bit naff. I'm obviously not after a gold sovreign ring that says "MUM" on it IYKWIM...

Carpaccio Sat 21-Nov-15 15:08:52

Personally, I really like Georg Jensen. My mum has the large grape ring in silver, and it looks so good. She's in her 60's and it isn't too young, but the Danish crown princess also has the ring, and it looks great on her too.

I als like some of the Tiffany jewellery - not a fan of the 'return to' things, but diamonds by the yard and the bean are very nice, simple and wearable. They come in gold and silver and in different sizes.

vanillabeauty Sun 22-Nov-15 10:21:07

I love this website
www.hairygrowler.co.uk/recycled-jewellery-categories/handmade-recycled-necklaces

MummySparkle Sun 22-Nov-15 10:23:40

Have you had a look at not on the high street? You can get some really beautiful and contemporary jewellery on there. A lot of it can be personalised in a really tasteful way

potap123 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:26:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KateSpadeAddict Sun 22-Nov-15 10:45:44

www.monicavinader.com

They can engrave too smile

slug Sun 22-Nov-15 11:28:33

With that budget I'd avoid the high street. If you are in London, I recommend the Dazzle exhibition currently in the Oxo tower. Failing that, you can buy online

slug Sun 22-Nov-15 11:34:51

How about this?

Dowser Sun 22-Nov-15 11:38:55

What about clogau jewellery. You can get a mixture of metals, silver and gold

Rings

www.clogau.co.uk/jewellery/rings.aspxP

Pendants

www.clogau.co.uk/Jewellery/Pendants-and-Necklaces.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA7MWyBRDpi5TFqqmm6hMSJAD6GLeATUg1lZ9ImePGFkDhLJJYJB0J_tICdpmZRUFQfrVBehoCBnnw_wcB

Gruach Sun 22-Nov-15 11:52:48

Mmm ... (Stands for me me me - as I'm older than your DM.)

For that budget (so not William Welstead or most of the Dover Street Market jewellery) I've liked quite a lot on the Envoy of Belfast site. (Link is to general accessories but you could follow the leads to individual designers' own sites.)

If she already has "conventional" jewellery you could consider an unconventional piece by Marni (though I'd wait for the sales as it's inevitably overpriced.)

Do have a look at the bigger clothing sites N-a-P, Matches, Browns, etc so you have a good idea of what is forward looking.

Dowser Sun 22-Nov-15 11:58:59

I love abstract jewellery and I have three beautiful well made silver pieces by a designer.

Sadly the librarian in charge of my brain cells has gone to sleep and can I heck as like remember the name.

As far as I remember, it's a mans name but I believe it's a co- operative.

Arrrghhhh!
Course I don't keep boxes. That would be just too simple!

JeanSeberg Sun 22-Nov-15 12:03:07

www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/2323802.htm

DelphiniumBlue Sun 22-Nov-15 12:04:13

I've had a few lovely pieces from here: tomfoolerylondon.co.uk

Gruach Sun 22-Nov-15 12:46:15

Jeangrin

You could always look here OP.

LindyHemming Sun 22-Nov-15 13:35:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paintedhandprints Sun 22-Nov-15 21:34:39

greenandbenz.com

littlenicky61 Sun 22-Nov-15 21:45:15

how about a Pandora bracelet with some charms - you can add charms as presents in years to come too - links bracelets are popular too

nooddsocksforme Sun 22-Nov-15 22:59:47

www.lindamacdonaldjewellery.com/necklaces-range?page=1 she does some nice things

Dancergirl Sun 22-Nov-15 23:15:26

Try Sheila Fleet, she does some beautiful silver and enamel jewellery:

www.sheilafleet.com

BackforGood Sun 22-Nov-15 23:29:25

What about taking her to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham for a day, and letting her choose her own ? Even getting something made just for her?

(Obv. will depend where you live, but might be a nice way of spending a day out together?)

SeriousShitGoingDown Sun 22-Nov-15 23:32:46

I'd recommend my sister but she's not taking orders at the moment!

I'd try to find an independent jewellery and commission something. My sister made my wedding ring and I've had two rings made by another jeweller and it's nice to support an artist that way as well as getting something unique.

cressetmama Mon 23-Nov-15 09:35:35

Braybrook&Britten may be worth a quick browse. The service is prompt and they are good at not-too-fussy, nor wildly expensive.

PurpleTreeFrog Mon 23-Nov-15 10:37:22

Yes! Thank you. I'm going to look in to commissioning something. I might even design something myself smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now