Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tall girl, short skirt

(20 Posts)
Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 11:21:29

Hi. I struggle with being over 6ft and always feeling clompy and like a giraffe, ungainly and uncomfortable. Can anyone tell me which is meant to make you look less tall - short skirts or long skirts? I'm sure I read that one it true other was better.

mewkins Fri 20-Nov-15 14:31:44

I am somewhat shorter than you but am generally taller than average at 5ft 7. I have spent 30 odd years struggling with this and am only just now embracing short skirts ie. Skirts that are made for 5ft4 women but come up short on me. Life is too short to worry imo.

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 14:40:04

I'd love to be 5ft 7!!! I do like a short skirt but "on the knee" is well above mine, and above the knee can get really short. Shoulders back, chest out and cross your legs as my grandfather used to say. Then pull the skirt down a little.

MuttonWasAGoose Fri 20-Nov-15 14:41:12

I think trying to look less tall just makes everything worse. I'm 5'10 and I enjoy being tall. I like to wear heels and clothes that accentuate my height.

I wear short skirts because I have good legs. Anyway, I think longer skirts just look frumpy on a large person.

Go Amazon.

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 14:44:28

Do you think short skirts actually accentuate your height? I wear 2.5 to 3" absolute max heels. Feel very self conscious standing in a group of friends.

MuttonWasAGoose Fri 20-Nov-15 14:54:05

Yes, on me it does because I have long, thin legs. At the same time, the shorter hemline creates a horizontal "cut" in the vertical line, breaking my body up into smaller chunks, visually. Most of my height is in my legs, so if the body part of my figure starts higher, it looks less massive overall. I wouldn't look as good in a knee-length dress, as that would be a long stretch of the same colour or pattern. I prefer to have a miniskirt and then a top. This also gives me more control over how I drape my torso: a tight mini with a flowing top will flatter my Hips and bum and disguise my belly.

I enjoy towering over everyone else, or at least I don't really notice it.

A couple of times in my life men have made comments about me being "too tall." It just made them look insecure and stupid.

If you carry yourself confidently, you will not look awkward. You'll look awesome.

rainybaking Fri 20-Nov-15 15:26:20

Not the answer to your question, but why do you wear heels if you feel too tall anyways? I'm 5'11 and love not having to do that whole lengthen your legs with uncomfortable heels shite. Plenty of lovely smarts flats about.

Making yourself look less tall is only going to result in bad posture and that's never a good look. Try to embrace your height, being tall is fab!

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 15:48:51

Well I don't often wear heels and never sky scrapers. Sometimes I guess in a rather contrary way they add to my overall confidence of being fashionable / attractive to men while adding to the height thing. I'll try to stand tall.

MuttonWasAGoose Fri 20-Nov-15 16:21:40

I wear the highest heels I can manage (unfortunately, I'm pretty crap at walking in them). I do it because it makes my feet look smaller. I hate the look for flats because they look like skis.

mewkins Fri 20-Nov-15 16:23:07

Btw I think in winter you can get away with short and make up the expanse of leg by wearing boots. I wear calf length sort of western style boots with lots of short skirts and dresses it doesn't make my legs look stumpy whereas on a shorter person they may be less forgiving!

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 17:04:24

I could not wear short with opaque tights and I'll definitely try some boots. Flat ones?

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 17:09:48

Sorry. I meant I could only wear short skirts as long as I had opaque tights hmm

mewkins Fri 20-Nov-15 17:48:11

Haha me too. I wear ankle boots with block heel or knee boots that are flat.

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 17:55:54

I like the idea of cowboy boots and have always coveted a sort of pale brown pair with some fancy patterns. Do they come with a hunky cowboy too? blush

mewkins Fri 20-Nov-15 18:19:34

Depends where you order them fromwink

Savagebeauty Fri 20-Nov-15 18:23:57

I'm six feet tall and 55..... I rarely wear skirts or dresses.
However I've just bought a dress today from Tallgirls and will have it taken up to just above the knee. It's currently about 2 inches below which looks matronly

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 18:36:20

Sounds lovely. Don't know Tall Girls. I like Long Tall Sally. Your first dress - for an occasion?

friedafilmer Fri 20-Nov-15 19:32:53

I'm taller than average at 5'8" with long legs. I like wearing above the knee skirts. I'm an apple/rectangle shape too so short skirts look good on me. I look frumpy with longer skirts.

Shopgirl1 Fri 20-Nov-15 19:34:26

I'm 6ft tall- I tend to wear skirts a couple of inches above the knee, although I have a shorter leather skirt. I wear mine with highish heels, I just feel more dressed up with them, I love being tall, don't mind the few extra inches they add- I'm tall anyway, with or without heels so may as well embrace it!

I never wear long skirts, don't think they suit me at all.

Lucymatilde Fri 20-Nov-15 23:26:58

Love the sound of the leather skirt. How shirt is it? What sort of occasions do you wear it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now