Talk

Advanced search

1950s style dress for Xmas party.

(10 Posts)
Mamabird3 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:37:15

I'm relying on your expertise style and beauty gurus! this year the company I work for is having a 1950s themed Xmas party, and so I'm looking for a dress. I already have a few vivien of Holloway dresses that I'm too fat to fit in right now that don't fit at the moment, and I love that the bodices are boned so really nip in the waist. I'm looking for something similar. I was looking at the lindy bop website but have no idea if the bodices are boned or just shaped, has anyone ordered anything from them before? Any suggestions great fully recieved. I'm a size 14, average height, very curvy big bum and big boobs with small waist and a red head with a short crop hairstyle just to paint a picture of what might suit me! Ta!

dylsmimi Wed 18-Nov-15 20:42:04

I have had dresses from Lindy bop and they aren't boned. The sizes can be a bit tricky so you may need the tape measure out!
They have always arrived quickly though and fine with returns. The ophelia dress is nice but I didn't have the chest for it sad
IF you are in the Midlands I know an amazing independent shop that can hand make a dress to fit perfectly

PartyCityGhoul Wed 18-Nov-15 20:43:16

Lindy bop are just shaped, no boning - i do love their dresses though, and great quality for the price imo. I didn't realise any dresses were boned (might give Vivien a look, i like the idea of sucky- in dresses!) I've got an Ophelia from there and it came up fairly large i think - no way was i a 10 when i bought it!

Would some spanx type pants give you the effect you are after?

chocoLit Wed 18-Nov-15 20:43:30

Just be aware Lindy bop aren't true to size though

NorksAreMessy Wed 18-Nov-15 20:43:49

LindyBop are lovely. Not boned, but well shaped. I have norks (see NN) and they are so flattering. Petticoat essential, as are funky shoes/ boots/brogues
Lady V are quite a bit more expensive, but have a good range of styles as well.

Both have LOVELY dresses, that I wear for real life, not just for dressing up smile

Mamabird3 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:44:30

I was looking at the Ophelia dresses actually, but I've got my heart set on something that's really going to nip in my waist, I've gained a bit of weight recently due to new medication and my waist is About all that's still small ish I just can't find anything I really love! Sadly not in the Midlands, I'm right down in the south west!

Mamabird3 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:47:22

Oh X-posts! I might give a lindy bop dress a go then, they've got a great sale on at the moment! It's hard to know what size to go for as my boobs are quite large, especially in comparison to my waist! I absolutely love the 50s look, I wish I had the confidence to wear it all the time rather than just buying the dresses and looking at them longingly ha!

dylsmimi Wed 18-Nov-15 21:08:06

I think they design to small waist, big boobs - check the sizing out and order a couple to try best fit
Shame your not close - not sure they could do a phone order sad

superbfairywren Wed 18-Nov-15 21:30:42

If you go for the Ophelia from lindybop just order your usual size, their size guide told me to order 2 sizes larger, i didnt pay attention and my normal size was quite roomy. Don't quite know how it worked out like that but the fabric did have some stretch in it. Lady V are nice, I have the Isabella I think, and also stretchy and not boned
Try collectif, a bit pricier but really lovely quality dresses. I have another dress(not voh) that's boned, its oh my honey and fits beautifully.

superbfairywren Wed 18-Nov-15 21:34:41

Me again! Worth looking at the house of foxy as well, I lust after lots of their dresses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now