Talk

Advanced search

Charlotte Tilbury

(70 Posts)
Buttwing Tue 17-Nov-15 14:12:26

I was thinking of getting some new makeup, it's my birthday on Friday and I thought I might go to one of the counters in selfridges and get some advice. I keep hearing loads about Charlotte Tilbury so thought I might try there. Does anyone us any of there products I suppose really I would be looking at concealer, foundation and any other things that might make my skin look brighter.

Jackie0 Tue 17-Nov-15 14:17:04

I'm not an expert on her line but I've heard mixed reviews.
Check out YouTube , there are lots of demo style review and CT does videos herself.

Buttwing Tue 17-Nov-15 14:21:44

Oh ok thanks Jackie I will have look.

I'm thinking I might get them to "do" me then have a wander around and see how it feels. I'm not sure how pushy they are though!

slug Tue 17-Nov-15 15:33:32

When the line was launched, I was pinned down by one of the Charlotte Tilbury women and "done" I wasn't overly impressed. I was even less impressed when it slid off about an hour later.

gonegrey56 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:31:31

The mascara is great. Not so impressed with the eye pencils I have bought (dried out so quickly and impossible to sharpen, even with the CT sharpener that I bought). I have not tried the skin care or foundations.

Ninacarter77 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:29:44

Charlotte Tilbury strongly resembles an old friend I used to go clubbing with in the 80s -she was a goth and Charlotte's make up is very similar.

Not the look she was trying to achieve I think.

Not sure the make up will live up to the hype.

GreenHamNoeggs Tue 17-Nov-15 19:59:19

The make up is cr*p.

chouxchoux Tue 17-Nov-15 20:20:52

like the lip products. Eye products aren't good.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 17-Nov-15 20:29:02

I have a few things and wouldn't repurchase - the Rock n Kohl eye pencil (smudges), the mascara (smudges) and one of the crayon things that are supposed to enhance your eye colour (actually a good product, but the shade feels too dark for he and I never wear it). I think there are far nicer makeup ranges with better products - Nars for example.

Enjolrass Tue 17-Nov-15 20:30:14

I am a huge CT fan.

I love the contour and highlight compact, the wonder glow foundation and the new foundation brush is amazing.

The eyeshadow a (I have a couple of quads, cream and pencils) are ok but I wouldn't say much different to any others.

The mascara is excellent too.

petitdonkey Tue 17-Nov-15 20:30:43

I was going to say that if you are in Selfridges, go to Nars instead. I have a few CT bits but I am not blown away and it is very expensive.

Jackie0 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:57:08

Or Tom Ford ?

mrslebon Tue 17-Nov-15 21:18:54

I went to the CT counter in Selfridges on Saturday. I'm 43 and 25 weeks pregnant and the girl said 'Is that even possible?' I did laugh! Anyway, she was lovely and not pushy at all. I wanted to try the Colour Chameleon eye shadow sticks and she showed me a daytime look and an evening look. I bought one as I liked the effect. She also used the Film Star contour and highlight duo on me and that was a real revelation. I've never contoured before and was pretty impressed. I've put it on my Christmas list. I didn't get chance to try anything else, but I'd agree with previous posters that NARS is probably better for other products such as their brilliant creamy concealer. I think what CT and NARS share is that theatrical approach to make-up and I like that.

BaronessSamedi Tue 17-Nov-15 21:23:37

her stuff is VERY expensive.
is that magic cream any good? anyone tried it?

Rohey Tue 17-Nov-15 21:26:10

Ive tried and rave about the new magic foundation. It covers my pigmentation and I don't need any concealer. Just a touch of blusher and I'm ready to go. However I'd advise you buy the brush that goes with it. Other than that I'd suggest maybe get something from the Nars counter and maybe a jo Malone fragrance.
I've got my eye on a coin purse from mulberry at a rather reasonable £100

www.mulberry.com/shop/women/small-leather-goods/purses/tree-coin-pouch-fiery-spritz-small-classic-grain

Maybe treat yourself to a beauty box so you can try new stuf..

Buttwing Tue 17-Nov-15 21:35:07

Thanks for the tips everyone. I used to love the nars foundation I used to use the oil free one but I think now I could do with something a bit more moisturising as last time I bought it it seemed to disappear into my skin and I found it really hard to blend despite using their primer.

I've never tried tom ford makeup is it ridiculously expensive?

I suppose what I'd like is a make up that makes me look healthy and like I've slept well I've not (dc4 does not sleep well) I'm 38, normal skin with no major issues except nose and forehead have quite large pores. I've been using face atelier which I liked but can't help feeling they may be something better.

Any more recommendations greatly received!!

GreenHamNoeggs Tue 17-Nov-15 21:39:09

Bobbi Brown is hard to beat for a natural, healthy look.

bigbuttons Tue 17-Nov-15 21:42:17

The rock n kohl eyeliner is the worst I've ever used. May as well just draw it under my eyes to start with because that's where it ends up after an hour anyway. The stick eyeliners are quite nice but hugely over priced.

Whatthefoxgoingon Tue 17-Nov-15 21:59:29

Yes tom ford is expensive but I really like what I have, especially the blushes.

Notonaschoolnight Wed 18-Nov-15 09:19:24

The skin coloured rock n kohl is good as are the eye chameleons but they're all full on evening not daytime to me. The light wonder foundation feels lovely and looks lovely initially but oxidises best part of a shade darker and the miracle concealer wand is very subtle a heavy duty make up wearer would hate it

Notonaschoolnight Wed 18-Nov-15 09:24:29

In fairness to foundation though I'd class myself as Mac nc18 I'm always falling between the lightest and 2nd lightest in foundation ranges for Tilbury I was between fair 2 & 3, i went for 2 and it was a bit too pale the oxidising worked in my favour

Enjolrass Wed 18-Nov-15 10:01:11

baroness I have the cream, it's great as a base for make up. Can't say that it's made me look younger or or rid of wrinkles, but my foundation sits better with it and lasts all day.

plumstone Wed 18-Nov-15 10:09:06

Another one for Bobbi Brown here!! Love it and in Selfridges I don't think they are pushy and they are very helpful. They write everything down for you that they use and you can take the list away and build the collection slowly as its not that cheap. Agree with CT - the sales guy I have experienced on counter was extremely un helpful and only did one side of my face confused and then thought it was odd I asked for it either to be all removed or the other side done - got back to the office and my colleague struggled to keep a straight face!!!

gonegrey56 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:27:06

Just had an email from John Lewis . 15% off Charlotte Tilbury makeup today . Why did they not send this message earlier ?

MrsBertMacklin Wed 18-Nov-15 20:33:59

I have tried extremely hard to like CT products but there are so many negatives and for the price, there should be none.

For example, crappy packaging that breaks / pencil lids that slide off in your bag.
The most consistently poor service experience at Selfridges from her counter staff. Think the worst stereotype about disinterested snooty staff in high end shops.
The marketing spiel about the wonder ingredients in her products that make them extra-amazing for skin (Sorry, but I refuse to believe that a new brand, albeit backed by a powerhouse company, would be the first to discover any unique ingredient, I call BS).

The makeup itself, especially eyeshadows and blushers, are very pigmented and good quality. But if this is your main goal, go to NARS and save some money. If you want product that gives you a luxury experience and delivers on quality, save up a bit more and go to Tom Ford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now