Talk

Advanced search

are chelsea boots going a bit like the barbour....

(21 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 17-Nov-15 09:35:49

Every woman and her best buddy seem to have a pair of chelsea boots now. Prepared to be shot down in flames but I'm not sure if they are going the same way as the barbour jacket type of thing where everyone suddenly a quilted jacket and now nobody does as they are done. I like the chelsea boot, I did the last time they were popular though I didn't have any. I picked up some tan ones from sainsburys for a real bargain, but I'm wondering whether to hang on to them. Apart from going under jeans I can't see them going with anything else. Worn with skirts I think is only really good on sylph like twenty year olds. Are they truly getting overdone now or genuinely an enduring timeless style?

2madboys Tue 17-Nov-15 09:56:55

I really hope not as I bought those tan ones from Sainsburys last week too! I think they're a fairly safe classic.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 17-Nov-15 09:57:56

I think they're a timeless style which is currently having a moment, tbh. I've worn them for years (and I do wear them with skirts and opaque tights) and will carry on when this fad passes.

keeponkeepinon Tue 17-Nov-15 10:08:14

I mean they have definitely been around for all that time and they are a classic shoe. I wanted some years ago but had less income then so never got any. These were such a bargain and sold out now so don't want to take them back and regret it! I think they'd be better for the school run on cooler spring and summer days. Maybe I could learn how to wear them with something other than my jeans. I haven't much space for one trick ponies!
Plus I've love my knee highs for so long as they are so versatile I am not sure what to do with an ankle boot!

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 17-Nov-15 11:36:16

I've been wearing Chelsea boots for yonks and have no plans to stop. I see them as more of a classic like a white t-shirt than something like a quilted jacket which is very much associated with the Barbour brand.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 17-Nov-15 14:38:08

I have some lovely ones from Russell & Bromley that I am wearing all the time. But then I also have a Barbour wink

keeponkeepinon Tue 17-Nov-15 15:55:48

I think you're right, its definitely an enduring style, I can imagine wearing them in ten years assuming they are still in shape.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 17-Nov-15 17:15:09

I think there will be a year in the near future when sime people will studiously avoid them (think Uggs and Acne Pistols), then they will come back. My favorite pair of chelsea boots is a navy suede one from five years ago, I only like flat boots these days.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 17-Nov-15 17:16:05

some not sime <tired>

Floisme Tue 17-Nov-15 18:28:58

I've been wearing them for well over 10 years - mostly with jeans which means 3 or 4 times a week so I think I get good value. At the moment, I also wear them with tube skirts which you may not approve of as I'm 59, not 20 grin However my legs (from below the knee down) are still in good shape so I think it works.

I suppose they could become dated but they're very unshowy and under-the-radar plus unlike Barbour jackets or Uggs or Pistols, they're not identified with any particular brand which helps.... I'm going to stick my neck out and say I think they'll evolve rather than date.

Bunbaker Tue 17-Nov-15 18:41:12

I bought these last month and have worn them so much. They are so comfortable and didn't cost too much.

Higge Tue 17-Nov-15 20:33:23

I think they are too understated to be done, unlike the Barbour!

OneofTHOSEWomen Tue 17-Nov-15 20:36:45

If you bought them in sainsbos then they're not exactly going to be ahead of the curve. If you like em, wear em but I suspect quilted jacket lady has a pair in her wardrobe.

Bunbaker Tue 17-Nov-15 21:08:51

And your point is One of?

I'm not interested in being "ahead of the curve". I just want something that is less casual than trainers, yet warm and waterproof and comfortable

OneofTHOSEWomen Tue 17-Nov-15 21:26:06

bun My reply was addressed to the OP who is concerned Chelsea boots will become unfashionable like quilted jackets.

keeponkeepinon Wed 18-Nov-15 00:15:10

Well I take your point one but its not so much being ahead of the curve so much as not being swept away with it as with the mmentioned jacket type. I liked what an earlier ppster said about them being not tied to brands. It's true. And yes, I want something cosy thats smarter than trainers. Nail on head there. I should just keep them they were such a bargain. It just means I own far more than far too many brown leather boots. Next I'll be afer a bloody purseto match!

Floisme Wed 18-Nov-15 06:56:49

I think they're a bit like brogues: every so often they may have a fashion moment but in between, loads of people carry on wearing them and no-one even notices.

Plus you can never have too many brown leather boots smile

Bunbaker Wed 18-Nov-15 07:03:23

I don't "do" brown smile

EdithWeston Wed 18-Nov-15 07:07:01

I thought the quilted jackets were Huskies, and Barbour were waxed cotton. Or am I just stuck in the 1980s?

Still going strong in rural/horsey areas, as are Puffas

Floisme Wed 18-Nov-15 07:07:18

Brown is one of the few so-called neutrals that actually suit me so I'm very happy to see it back smile

MiracletoCome Wed 18-Nov-15 07:12:58

I've got a black pair and an oxblood pair off the Next clearance pages, they are lovely and comfy, I hadn't really thought about if they were overdone, I will wear them til they wear out. They were £30 a pair and well worth it, I will have to see if I can get some nice dark brown ones in the clearance after Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now