Talk

Advanced search

Kind of an etiquette question - what does one wear...

(11 Posts)
IShouldBeSoLurky Mon 16-Nov-15 21:59:13

to a meeting at which one is the client, but in a personal not a business capacity? Like with a mortgage advisor/accountant/--cosmetic surgeon-- etc?

My head says I am the client and as long as I don't turn up in filthy rags with a crack pipe in my handbag I can wear what I like, but my heart says I ought to be appearing "professional", and I have no "professional" clothes as am self-employed.

I'm nervous about the meeting so focussing on trivial stuff confused

(It's not a cosmetic surgeon.)

IShouldBeSoLurky Mon 16-Nov-15 21:59:47

Strikethrough fail.

Drquin Mon 16-Nov-15 22:02:20

It doesn't have to be "suit & heels" to be smart.
I'd be tempted to dress in something in felt confident wearing, particularly of you need to do any negotiating.
Jeans & blazer is smart.

EliGold Mon 16-Nov-15 22:02:33

What size are you? What age? Is the meeting at an office? Need more information to advise. My usual outfit for need to look smart but not wear a suit is a navy and white dress with a navy blaser. Blaser from joules and dress from White Stuff. Heels from LK Bennett. I am late mid thirties and have to wear very smart suits for work.

EliGold Mon 16-Nov-15 22:06:56

www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.auctiva.com%2Fimgdata%2F1%2F6%2F0%2F7%2F4%2F9%2F8%2Fwebimg%2F617467890_o.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimgbuddy.com%2Fcelebrity-casual-wear-for-women.asp&docid=1JxWCTeJkagltM&tbnid=es9Rc0XsGfV2pM%3A&w=948&h=600&ved=0CAYQxiAwAmoVChMIwsal8_mVyQIVxH0aCh1P2gVW&iact=c&ictx=1

EliGold Mon 16-Nov-15 22:07:44

That is the link I wanted! Ignore

NeuNewNouveau Mon 16-Nov-15 22:10:50

As an accountant dealing with self-employed people, i genuinely don't care what clients wear to see me. Jeans or something comfy is fine as long as it is not properly dirty, ie dusty/muddy from a building site and going to leave a trail of mess.

I am sometimes bemused when people are clearly nervous of coming to see me and always try to put people at ease.

The only thing that really annoys me is people who take phone calls and have a lengthy conversation when in a meeting with me, thereby wasting my time.

Doobigetta Mon 16-Nov-15 22:59:38

I know what you mean, I've had the same dilemma. I'd only wear business dress if I was visiting them on the way to or from work. If that wasn't the case I'd go for the smarter end of casual- jeans, yes, but with shoes or boots rather than trainers, and a blazer rather than a cardigan or leather jacket.

IShouldBeSoLurky Mon 16-Nov-15 23:05:56

Thanks all. It's to meet my solicitor and a barrister to talk about the ongoing sorry fucking saga of my divorce sad and whether we are going to take exH to court.

So I don't need to look professional but also feel compelled to power-dress somehow, a bit. Annoyingly I don't have a decent winter coat and the weather is vile, so it'll be jeans, heeled boots, jumper, scarf and leather jacket I expect. Might take my silver CSC bag for luck.

IShouldBeSoLurky Mon 16-Nov-15 23:07:28

Sorry, EliGold, I'm 42, size 10, meeting will be in barrister's chambers. I scrub up okay but never have to be smart except when being glam, iyswim?

EliGold Tue 17-Nov-15 15:32:20

I am a barrister but not family law. Sorry tried to post a link last night then got distracted and forgot to reply. I don't care what clients wear to see me. Barrister and solicitor highly likely to be in suits (probably black or grey). You can wear what you like. Jeans and trainers is fine. If you want to feel smarter the outfit you suggested of jeans and boots also fine. Good luck. Sounds like a stressful situation with the ex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now