Talk

Advanced search

What does Ponte mean?

(8 Posts)
JumpandScore Mon 16-Nov-15 20:38:00

I'm looking for a new work wardrobe and I've seen quite a few things where the fabric is described as ponte. What does this mean? I need to be smart, but not exceptionally smart.

SwedishEdith Mon 16-Nov-15 20:40:16

It's like a think jersey material. Can be cotton or polyester (or a mix, I suppose). Useful for smartish work outfits.

florascotianew Mon 16-Nov-15 20:51:39

It is indeed thick jersey - very helpful definition and more here:
sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sewing-with-ponte.html

Silverstreaks Tue 17-Nov-15 17:30:27

Great question as I've wondered that too.

TwoTonTessie Tue 17-Nov-15 17:40:58

I bought a ponte dress recently for an interview. It was smart, fitted well and didn't get any creases in it. I had lots of compliments and got the job smile

BabCNesbitt Wed 18-Nov-15 10:27:45

99% of dresses in Dorothy Perkins seem to be described as 'ponte' atm. Ordered one from there and when it arrived it seemed to be little more than a slightly shinier version of crimplene. I'm guessing that quality must vary substantially from shop to shop.

CardiCorgi Wed 18-Nov-15 12:31:32

Well it can be made of differing fibres, I've even seen some that had quite a high percentage of wool, so that has an influence on how it feels.

HopefulAnxiety Wed 18-Nov-15 19:45:42

Avoid the 100% polyester type, but ponte with a high rayon/natural fibre content is great. Scuba on the other hand is nasty stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now