Talk

Advanced search

Is anything to be done about an ageing neck?

(37 Posts)
pocketandsweet Fri 13-Nov-15 21:58:59

47. Face pretty much wrinkle free but my neck is starting to look a bit crepey. I realize that there are many more important issues in the world but if there is anything to be done to improve or hasten it ( short of surgery) then I am interested. I already have a large wardrobe of scarves if that is what it is to be....

CatThiefKeith Fri 13-Nov-15 22:05:09

Pull all the loose skin to the nape of our necks and secure with a bull dog clip? grin

I did read once that getting rid of your pillows helps. but it was in Jackie, circa 1979

Sorry op, not very helpful but will watch with interest for any tips.

WhataRacquet Fri 13-Nov-15 22:15:13

All you can do is read this and know you are not alone www.amazon.co.uk/Feel-Bad-About-My-Neck/dp/0552773816.

Some people swear by Astral.

hugoagogo Fri 13-Nov-15 22:26:58

I do love that book- rip Norah sad

I have noticed a little deterioration in my neck, I just moisturise and hope.

pocketandsweet Sat 14-Nov-15 02:06:01

i read that book before it was relevant! Maybe I should re-read smile

Tartyflette Sat 14-Nov-15 02:17:27

Awaiting any suggestions with interest. i am older than you OP, my face is OK too but my neck is awful. Have tried many neck creams and gels but haven't found anyhing that works.
i think there may well be a genetic element at play in my case, my DM had the same problem, as does my DB. (but men can always wear ties, and even a shirt with a crewneck sweater over helps cover the neck up. But high necklines make my neck look even shorter)
At thr moment I just try to keep my head held high and my chin up!

RayofSun Wed 18-Nov-15 23:59:17

You can have Botox on it. Smoothed the wrinkles and provides a non surgical jowl lift?

SugarPlumTree Thu 19-Nov-15 02:20:15

I noticed a creepy patch at one point but can't see it anymore. I think using Astral at night has helped.

FortuneVomitsOnMyEiderdown Thu 19-Nov-15 02:26:42

Apparently you should take your facial skin care (inc sun screen) down to your boobs to improve the skin texture and then if you ask youtube there are all sorts of face yoga type exercises you can do.

I've gone down the eat too much chocolate and cake route to try to maintain plumpness of skin and occasionally when drunk have a go at facial yoga. Not sure it does much for me, but I always feel much better looking after a gin or two.

Ooh having said all that, I wonder if collagen supplements help? I'm sure there are some marine type supplements which are supposed to promote collagen renewal.

I suspect there isn't a cure, as such, more things you can do to try to minimise how much it bothers you.

Kaz2200 Thu 19-Nov-15 07:47:50

Try the new elemis neck and décolleté balm, it is the only product I have used that makes a difference, no more creased neck in the mornings

CuttedUpPear Thu 19-Nov-15 07:50:13

Checking in with my saggy neck...

Wolpertinger Thu 19-Nov-15 07:59:19

If you acid tone and use a retinol then treat your neck exactly the same as your face. Plus use SPF on your neck. Ageing in your neck is the same as your face ie sun damage, loss of collagen so the same things that do and don't work there will apply to your neck.

Otherwise neck cream is just a way the beauty industry gets us to buy another cream angry

Greengardenpixie Thu 19-Nov-15 14:34:34

The only thing that has worked for me is nivea blue pot.
Its sooooo thick that it supports the skin.

Greengardenpixie Thu 19-Nov-15 14:36:20

I apply at night time and some in the morning sweeping backwards. I have tried loads, strivectin, clarins, estee lauder..all a complete waste. Only thing to make it look better for me and as cheap as chips. You could also try facersizes or neck firming excercises.

lurkingabit Thu 19-Nov-15 15:22:20

Read the Nora Ephron book before it was relevant too. There is comfort in company indeed.

SPF definitely, Retin A if you can tolerate, but I'm not sure any cream will change the sagginess that happens from ageing muscles and the normal ageing fat loss dagnammit

But I do agree with FortuneVOmits, a couple of vodka tonics and an ageing neck becomes remarkably unnoticeable.

ggirl Thu 19-Nov-15 15:34:55

its not the sun thats causing mine to sag ..its the part that always stays white
im 53 and have given it up as a lost cause..bring on the gin

Greengardenpixie Thu 19-Nov-15 16:18:49

its not the sun for me either. Its late pregnancy weight gain and loos that have taken their toll. Taking my glasses off works wonders. I look 20 something again!

Greengardenpixie Thu 19-Nov-15 16:19:37

and loo's???? Loss!!!

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 19-Nov-15 17:36:04

Ugh, I hear ya, 41, face is doing well, BUT MY NECK, I have the neck of a Galapagos turtle (and not a young one), 25 years of smoking possibly has to shoulder some of the blame here and I'm on the skinny side, but bloody hell it's ageing, not to mention depressing.

It's doubly depressing because I really suit shirts and V necks too.

My jaw-line's fine, but my neck's soooo crepey.

I'm off to invest in some Astral tomorrow, I will report back. If that fails on to the retin, if that fails - I'm off to see someone for something more 'intensive'.

MagicalRealist Thu 19-Nov-15 18:09:56

I've just ordered this neck cream from NIOD www.victoriahealth.com/product/Neck-Elasticity-Catalyst-NEC/11847

Normally there'd be no way I'd spend that amount on skincare but NIOD/Deciem products are very, very good. Deciem hylamide serum and the fountain beauty molecule have completely transformed my skin over the last few months and I've been absolutely blown away by NIOD lip treatment - nothing else I've ever used has had any real effect on my thinning, ageing lips but the NIOD has taken about a decade off them, seriously. So I'm cautiously optimistic about the neck elasticiser smile

There's a thing on the website that goes into how it works in a bit more detail. www.victoriahealth.com/editorial/november-newsletter-4

ggirl Thu 19-Nov-15 18:13:02

sorry but o just don't think creams other than retin a will do any good

fieldfare Thu 19-Nov-15 18:23:47

I bought something for my mil that she raved about as being wondrous for her neck, will try and find it in my history.

fieldfare Thu 19-Nov-15 18:27:21

www.rodial.co.uk/skincare/our-ranges/snake/glamoxy-snake-serum Here you are. It's even more pricey than when I bought it for her birthday. Goodness. She thought it miraculous though!

MagicalRealist Thu 19-Nov-15 18:35:20

Wow fieldfare shock That makes the NIOD one look like a bargain in comparison!

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 19-Nov-15 19:08:36

Nooo, I tried Snake Serum - did nowt. Don't rate Rodial despite all the rave reviews, have tried a few of their products.

The only skin-care product I've really ever felt any difference with was REN renewal mask, it gives me beautifully soft and brighter skin. But does fuck all for the crepey neck.

I honestly don't think any topical creams can do anything for my level of crepeyness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now