Talk

Advanced search

I think I've found my Christmas party dress!

(25 Posts)
CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 19:38:00

I'm so very excited. Can't wait for it to arrive.

topvintage.net/en/vintage-retro/50s-twinkle-sequin-pencil-dress-in-black?

I'm hoping its sparkly enough to be ok for the season but not so OTT that I can't wear it to parties the rest of the year.

I plan to wear it with either black or nude courts and keep jewellery simple, just a pair of pearl drop earrings. Perhaps a simple bracelet.

What colour on the legs? I was thinking opaques would be more comfortable in December weather but nude hold ups might look better. confused

What do the style gurus think?

ShebaQueen Fri 13-Nov-15 19:49:42

Gorgeous dress Cain. I am a massive opaques fan but I am definitely not a style guru, so I'm not the right person to advise you. I'm sure someone else will be along soon.

Enjoy your party!

TimeToMuskUp Fri 13-Nov-15 19:52:48

That's lovely. I'm not sure about nude tights, have never found 'The Ones' the way I have with opaques. I'd team it with some Topshop 100 denier tights, simple black courts with a tiny clutch. No jewellery.

SkyWasMadeOfAmethyst Fri 13-Nov-15 19:52:43

That would look dead sexy with sheer black stockings.

Duckdeamon Fri 13-Nov-15 19:56:29

Nice dress but because it's totally sequinned I doubt you'd be able to wear it often except in dcember.

CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 20:25:29

Thanks for the comments.

Totally agree re outside of December, it would really depend on the event. I don't have that many any über glam invites outside of the festive period but you never know!

I will have to try both options re leg covering and see what feels best.

Hadn't even though about a clutch... Off to trawl t'net.

WhatamessIgotinto Sat 14-Nov-15 06:36:47

I wouldn't wear opaques with that, its a very sexy dress and don't think would look right. I'd go for sheer black tights and a huge clutch. No jewellery.

Tootsiepops Sat 14-Nov-15 06:44:18

Oooh - that's a great dress 39 weeks pregnant and INSANELY jealous

If it sits below the knee, I'd go for nude stockings / tights and a black shoe.

off to look at tent dresses to hide inevitable postpartum fat

Angelina321 Sat 14-Nov-15 06:47:37

Only one black shoe?

grin

CurlsLDN Sat 14-Nov-15 06:54:34

Agree with nude tights/stocking/legs. It's a gorgeous dress but I think with black tights of any denier it runs the risk of looking witchy

Tootsiepops Sat 14-Nov-15 06:56:16

grin

This is why I shouldn't hand out style / fashion advice.

whatiswrongwithyou Sat 14-Nov-15 07:19:17

Wow - stunning dress, I agree with sheer black stockings/tights and seriously who cares that you can only wear the dress in December!

HellesBelles01 Sat 14-Nov-15 07:56:43

Wow, lovely dress! You will turn heads, I'm sure!

Another vote for nude or sheer black tights. I think opaques might be too much black and will create a very solid silhouette. Maybe try the dress on with all types (and then post photos on here so we can help you decide)?

Definitely a clutch bag, killer heels and simple jewellery. Don't fight the neckline of the dress; earring and bracelet may be better. If it was me, I might be tempted to add a pop of colour with shoes/bag/jewellery or maybe a nice shawl or wrap. Something Christmassy, like a rich red or silver or gold?

WhatamessIgotinto Sat 14-Nov-15 10:30:32

I might wear simple drop earrings actually but that's all. And berry coloured nail polish. I actually really love that dress and if it wasn't for my stomach is order it myself!

JumpandScore Sat 14-Nov-15 10:32:23

Agree sheer black tights, possibly with seams...

RonaldMcDonald Sat 14-Nov-15 11:00:55

I would wear with naked legs or black opaque and probably high heeled ankle boots
If naked legs you could go naked shoes but I'm bored to death by that personally

I wouldn't wear any jewellery except for a diamond stud earring
I would have deliberately undone hair...so if it is blow dried and long a bit of dry shampoo in it and a shake to make the whole look less froufrou
( I think people can look overdone easily especially in all sequins but can also look fantastic if not too perfect and Christmas tree)

Pigzoom Sat 14-Nov-15 21:22:28

Lush dress!

CainInThePunting Thu 26-Nov-15 16:49:49

Meant to update this at the weekend.

Well, unless you like your dresses 'Carol Vorderman' snug then definitely size up!
I have about four weeks of strict 5:2ing and fanatical exercise ahead of me otherwise I will not be able to eat at the 'do'! grin

But it's gorgeous so it's a keeper.
The sequins are minuscule, about 2mm across.
The only thing that made me a bit worried is that the sequins are on the inside of the hem too, I'm worried they will snag any tights in which case I may have to consider fake tan.
Never managed to work that look before... hmm

Scarftown Mon 30-Nov-15 17:23:01

I wish I had read the final post before ordering. Mine arrived and as you say it is gorgeous but a little snug. Don't think I'll be eating much at the do.

MizK Mon 30-Nov-15 17:27:14

Love the dress! Personally would do bare legs with a layer of fake tan and black shoes. I don't really like nude shoes with black sparkle...

I'm sure you will look gorgeous, thanks for introducing me to a new site! 😊

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Mon 30-Nov-15 19:30:45

Nothing to add... but i love that website, i want to order about a million things and good prices to. I have a do in Jan where i will need a suitable dress and i think i have found where i will buy it from. Many thanks

Bananajam Thu 03-Dec-15 19:14:28

How quickly do they ship? If I order tonight would it arrive by Saturday?! confused

CainInThePunting Thu 03-Dec-15 19:19:08

I ordered on the Friday and I think it arrived on the Monday or Tuesday, you might find you're too late to get it Saturday. Sorry sad

Scarftown Thu 03-Dec-15 19:24:13

Yeah mine took a few days.

If you need a size ten I'm gonna have to return mine. But I will happily pass on to you....

Bananajam Thu 03-Dec-15 19:28:55

Thanks, I'll keep looking - sadly I'm not a size 10!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now