Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

STILL not happy with teeth after braces!!

(24 Posts)
LMonkey Fri 13-Nov-15 15:57:38

Lol if anyone is here who read my thread a couple of months ago then you really will think I am some kind of obsessive freak about my teeth.

In my last thread I was worried that my orthodontist hadn't really paid enough attention to my top teeth as I would have liked him to, and one of my lateral incisors was still pushed back a bit. Well I have now had my top braces on about 8 weeks longer than I should have (bottom braces came off a while ago and am happy with bottom teeth). The lateral incisor has been pulled forward so is in line with my front teeth which is what I wanted. However it is now at a weird angle and in photos looks like it sticks out a bit and my ortho has done a few adjustments to try and correct this (it's called 'torque' which is turning the tooth) but we are now on the thickest wire and he says that this will be the 'ultimate' adjustment that he can do. I have about 4 or 5 weeks until my removal date but I don't actually hold much hope as the tooth doesn't seem to have responded much to what he's done in the previous 6 weeks. He seems to think that it's down to my teeth and said that he is "at the mercy of my biology" (!).

If anyone reading knows about orthodontics, surely there's something that can be done, to get my tooth at the right angle? Had I known it would turn out like this I don't know that I would have bothered with the braces. My teeth weren't severely crooked before, I just wanted them restraightened. I'm not actually sure this result is any better than before, it's just swapping one flaw for another. If I have to go through life not happy with this one tooth then this has been a complete waste of time. I'm considering demanding to see another orthodontist at the practice. I have had my teeth straightened before when I was a teenager and there was no problem with any of my teeth then. I am just so fed up with the whole thing.

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 13-Nov-15 16:01:39

You can but he needed to create
The space for it to turn. And there isn't really any space as the other teeth are blocking the full movement. You're getting fobbed off

LMonkey Fri 13-Nov-15 16:07:45

Ridingthegravytrain I have noticed when flossing that there is a teeny gap behind that tooth. But I do wonder whether he is a crap ortho who is just fobbing me off. Although considering the amount of times I have gone in for extra adjustments he should just want to get it right to get me off his back.

Flumplet Fri 13-Nov-15 17:53:27

Your teeth look lovely - and quite natural. I think that if they're absolutely spot on perfect they might look a little unnatural, but if you want what you want, and what you've paid for (and is possible) then you should absolutely push for it. I would love your teeth mine are very overcrowded. Maybe one day! <sighs wistfully>

ginmakesitallok Fri 13-Nov-15 17:56:24

Fwiw I think your teeth look lovely and can't work out which one you think still looks wrong.

LMonkey Fri 13-Nov-15 18:24:22

Thanks gin. I suppose to anyone else it may not jump out. Its my right lateral incisor. To me it looks like the bottom edge of it flips out and its really all i can focus on.

LIZS Fri 13-Nov-15 18:28:21

Me too gin.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 13-Nov-15 18:33:35

I know you don't want to hear this but they look great, I cant see what you mean about the flipped out tooth. You may well be right about the ortho but your teeth might shift a bit anyway even with a mouth guard.

maybemyrtle Fri 13-Nov-15 18:37:02

What gin said. In the nicest possible way, I really think you're getting hung up on an "imperfection" that only you can see.

GlitteringJasper Fri 13-Nov-15 19:20:54

Your teeth are beautiful! Honestly!

I really wish mine looked half as good.

LMonkey Fri 13-Nov-15 23:40:17

Thank you so much for your nice replies x

VenusRising Sat 14-Nov-15 00:09:58

Your smile is beautiful! And your teeth are a beautiful colour and healthy.

My dentist has perfect perfect teeth, and they look so very very fake. I don't trust his smile if you know what I mean. He's got super white crowns, or veneers or something.

I think a tiny little snaggle is what makes a smile beautiful- look at Kate moss, she has a snaggle and it really makes her look attractive, and her smile look genuine.

Perfect perfect teeth look fake, and while I think your teeth are as near to perfect as they can be that ever so teeny tiny twist makes your smile look amazing.

If you are still worried, I suggest you keep smiling and see the smiles in return. Smiling always makes me feel great, as, apart from chewing, that's what teeth are for. Oh, and whistling through, though that can be unpopular on a crowded tube I find......... much better to smile!

MamaLazarou Sat 14-Nov-15 11:18:02

They look perfect to me, I can't see any crooked incisors.

Blueberrymuffint0p Sat 14-Nov-15 11:41:51

You're teeth are absolutely perfect. I've recently had braces and it's very easy to become obsessed with the way your teeth look. I can't see any problem at all with your lateral incisor, whatever the issue is that you're seeing is certainly not translating in your photos. In the nicest way possible I think you're talking crazy! You've got a beautiful smile.

DriverSurpriseMe Sat 14-Nov-15 11:46:59

I think you've lost perspective and even if this tiny imperfection could be fixed, you'd probably find something else wrong.

Your teeth look fantastic and no one, literally no one, will look at them and notice what you notice.

hugoagogo Sat 14-Nov-15 14:41:39

I can't see it either.

Cheerfulmarybrown Sun 15-Nov-15 15:51:50

I think your teeth look great but having undergone ortho work twice(!) I do understand your point of view.

Ortho work is expensive and a huge commitment and after all that effort you do need to be 100% happy with the work. The fact that other people don't notice is good but I can see what you are saying about the tooth. I would be asking for a second opinion and having a conversation with my ortho on options.

Whether you decide to go ahead with them is of course your choice either way you do have a lovely smile grin

DramaAlpaca Sun 15-Nov-15 15:59:15

I think your teeth look lovely, really beautiful & natural looking. Teeth that are completely perfect don't look as good IMO. Tiny imperfections are very attractive.

PrincessHairyMclary Sun 15-Nov-15 20:29:08

After my brace as a teenager my teeth were perfect. I had a lot of work done to correct an overbite.

Then they started to shift a little, I had a permanent retainer put on my bottom teeth but unfortunately the same wasn't done on the top and they shifted ever so slightly so my two front ones are a teeny bit more in front no one else can tell but it's a little frustrating after all the pain.

LMonkey Sun 15-Nov-15 21:37:48

Princess did you get a removable retainer to wear at night? Just wondering as I'm only supposed to get a removable retainer for the top teeth.

Whyisitsodifficult Sun 15-Nov-15 21:46:27

I would love to have teeth like yours! I have often thought about having braces fitted, can I ask how much it has cost? Sorry to derail!

PrincessHairyMclary Sun 15-Nov-15 21:52:55

I had a removable gum shield like one for top and bottom and then when I was told to stop wearing it I did and then on my last check up he fitted the permanent bottom one as they had moved a little that I still have which is just a bar glued to the back of my teeth.

Realising I've had a brace of one kind or another for 19 years is depressing, but I get lots of compliments on my smile.

LMonkey Sun 15-Nov-15 22:35:25

I got mine at a cheaper price why, as I'd had a brace before and was a previous patient of the practice. It cost me about £1000 for the clear brackets on the top and metal on the bottom but I know it usually costs around £3000 where I am (which I wouldn't have been able to afford).

LMonkey Sun 15-Nov-15 22:42:15

I stopped wearing my removable retainers first time round too princess as the instructions on how long to wear them were rather vague. They always say nowadays that you need to wear your retainer for life. Pity they didn't tell us back then hey?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now