Talk

Advanced search

Am I too old....? Be honest......

(36 Posts)
wobblywingbatgirl Fri 13-Nov-15 15:50:02

For leather?! Recently left after 28 years for OW. So, I'm going out for a few do's over Xmas - not sure I feel like but hey, I need to start heaving myself off the sofa. I really like these leather or leather look skirts but am I too old (44)??? Honest opinions. I wasn't going for the trashy look - more like small pixie high heeled ankle boots and a plain top.

What do you think?

toastandmarmiterocks Fri 13-Nov-15 15:53:49

Sounds ace! Go for it. In your face ex-DH, go and have a ball...

PurpleDaisies Fri 13-Nov-15 15:53:58

I can't see a link but with leather it is all about how you style it. As long as you haven't got a micro mini in mind I'm sure you'll look lovely.

TonyMaguire Fri 13-Nov-15 15:54:41

It depends on what your style is normally like, and your figure. Are you a Zoe Ball type? Edgy sharp lines? If so, go for it. Are you Kirsty Allsop type? Then no.

TonyMaguire Fri 13-Nov-15 15:56:25

Nowt wrong with Kirst, I should say, but if you normally do midi length vintagey feminine floaty stuff and have a more rounded figure it may not be a goer.

Floisme Fri 13-Nov-15 15:58:29

I think there's a leather style for everyone and every age e.g. a knee length leather pencil skirt can look really classy.

I also find leather very forgiving of older bodies as it has structure.

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Fri 13-Nov-15 16:00:10

I have been wearing the hell out of my (p)leather mini these last few months. Usually with opaques and heeled ankle boot.

Plain tees, band t-shirts, fine knits, Peter pan collar tops. The most recent thing I've bought to wear with it is a black lace high neck long sleeved victoriana style top from Oasis. Going to wear my hair up in a messy bun and do a really dramatic charcoal smokey eye for a night out in a few weeks.

Go for it!!

R0nJ0n Fri 13-Nov-15 16:02:36

I agree that it depends on your style. My mum is 61 and the look you're discribing would be fab on her. She's a size 10/12, wears clean lines, lots of simple colours and pointed toe ankle boots. I'm 43, 14/16, very pear shaped and a bit of a scruff bag, that look would be bloody awful on me.

SanityClause Fri 13-Nov-15 16:03:33

You are not too old for leather. I am older than you, so if you are, I am too, and that just can't be. sad

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 13-Nov-15 16:40:19

I think a leather knee length skirt looks great on all ages when worn as you describe with a plain, non revealing type top.

Sorry to hear of your marriage break-up but glad to hear you're embracing your social life! flowers

wobblywingbatgirl Fri 13-Nov-15 16:41:29

Thank you all ladies and gents! Made me smile about the Kirstie Allsop vs Zoe Ball look! Maybe we should have a thread on who would play us in a film?! The skirt I really like a Florence and Fred one believe it or not, but it looks really nice but its out of my size whic is a shame. Nice and affordable under the circumstances as well!

If you're more KA than ZB, there are some lovely full midi skirts in leather or faux leather.

TonyMaguire Fri 13-Nov-15 18:55:14

But which one are you, OP? grin

burnishedsilver Fri 13-Nov-15 19:18:08

That's a classy look than can be worn by any age. Enjoy your nights out smile.

RonaldMcDonald Fri 13-Nov-15 19:26:03

I am 43 and believe I am young. <I think I have only a few good years left in my legs though before baggy knees and am making them work for their keep before retiring them under opaques
>
certainly I am more confident in fashion with each decade I have been on the earth and I know now what suits me and how to highlight my best areas

wear whatever as long as it suits your shape and nods to fashion...go full fashionista if you fancy or as you confidence grown

I'm sorry to hear about the OW. Looks like you now have been given a chance to make some much needed changes...

catsmother Fri 13-Nov-15 19:26:28

Of course you're not .... so long as you style it in the sorts of ways already suggested as opposed to a low cut sleeveless crop top for example, which, IMO, doesn't look good even on a 20 year old. I'm 50 a little older than you and have a couple of faux suede short skirts (I wear with opaque tights, flat boots and plain tops) of which there seems to be quite a few about ATM and perhaps something else to consider if you can't get the exact leather skirt you want. New Look (yeah yeah I know I'm not their demographic) and H&M have had a number of these in recent months.

Nettletheelf Fri 13-Nov-15 19:43:44

I'm 44 and I wore a leather pencil skirt to work yesterday. Do it.

Nothing like some lovely new clothes for starting the healing process!

Oncandystripedlegs Sat 14-Nov-15 07:13:48

I have just ordered the Florence and Fred pencil skirt ....is that the one you were thinking of? No idea what to wear it with though!

Savagebeauty Sat 14-Nov-15 07:25:23

Oh I crave a leather pencil skirt.
I had one in the eighties.
I'm six feet tall and slim but 55....I may have to look for one

Thingsthatmakeugoummmm Sat 14-Nov-15 07:29:15

Hi, I have a fab leather and suede skirt from New Look and I am on 41. I get so many positive comments when wearing it. Go for it

zippyswife Sat 14-Nov-15 07:46:00

The woman on catastrophe was wearing one last episode. Thought she looked completely sexy in it (black pencil style with slit up back). I'm 38 and would be getting one if I wasnt pg and size of a house!

zippyswife Sat 14-Nov-15 07:46:56

I actually think its something that looks better on a woman rather than a girl. Go for it.

burnishedsilver Sat 14-Nov-15 08:15:48

To those of you with leather pencil shirts, are they too warm? I'd love one but I'm afraid it might be an expensive mistake if it's anything like wearing a leather jacket indoors.

lurkingabit Sat 14-Nov-15 08:34:35

I'm older than you OPand wore an a-line leather skirt to work yest too. Looks fine I think.

Is it warm burnished? Can't say I find it warmer than any other skirt tbh. I am a cold creature tho

wobblywingbatgirl Sat 14-Nov-15 08:34:55

Yes it's the Florence and Fred pencil one but I think the 12 is a bit too tight and the 14 is out of stock. As for which one am I - mmmm mot really Zoe ball or kirstie all sop - but I have been told Tamsin outhwaite but a bit fatter!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now