Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me find a not-so-weddingy 'wedding dress'?

(16 Posts)
HarleyQuinne Wed 11-Nov-15 13:26:03

I'm early 30's size 12-14, curvy, have a tum, but that doesn't bother me.

I was something sort of 50's?

and some banging shoes that aren't too high.

I don't want super traditional, I do like quirky stuff more.

Doesn't have to be white or cream but do prefer lighter shades.

Any ideas?

jamtartandcustard Wed 11-Nov-15 13:38:44

Vivian of Holloway does wedding dresses that sound just like what you want. Have you had a look?

cathyandclaire Wed 11-Nov-15 13:39:49

What's your budget?
Anything suitable on this website ?
DD got her prom dress made by them and it was lovely, very fifties.

jamtartandcustard Wed 11-Nov-15 13:40:23

Link: www.vivienofholloway.com/women-c70/dresses-c10/1950s-halterneck-ivory-duchess-dress-p29

HarleyQuinne Wed 11-Nov-15 13:42:42

Its not a big wedding at all, just a very small intimate things so I don't want to spend a lot.

I'll have a look at the links...

AuntieStella Wed 11-Nov-15 13:47:24

Fairy Gothmother lovely but probably at least £500.

TeresaGiudicesForehead Wed 11-Nov-15 13:48:07

Watching this too as i'm getting married this summer and need a similar thing.

tigerdog Wed 11-Nov-15 13:53:46

Check out Fur Coat No Knickers. Worth it for the name alone - and probably not one to google in the office! Where are you based? They are in London. There is also a lovely place in the custard factory in Brum
called the couture company that do 50s style dresses and some fab accessories! Not cheap though but as I'm finding, cheap is not easy to do!

Schmoochypoos Wed 11-Nov-15 13:59:41

www.lindybop.co.uk/dresses-c1/prom-formal-c18/aleena-dark-vanilla-occasion-dress-p2098

How about something like this?

YellowDinosaur Wed 11-Nov-15 14:05:51

Beautiful dresses on here. Proper wedding ones, 50s style, as well as other 50s dresses. I have one and it's beautiful. Prices range from about £90 upwards with the proper wedding ones being most expensive

ohmyhoney.bigcartel.com/

NathalieM Wed 11-Nov-15 17:17:59

Anna Scholz have some lovely plus size party dresses that I think would be great for formal occasions too. Prices can be upward of £150 though. Also could good for all those Christmas parties!

www.annascholz.com/online-store/dresses/evening-dresses.html

specialsubject Wed 11-Nov-15 17:39:21

main thing is not to tell anyone it is a wedding dress, instant doubling or more of price. Search on the styles you want or ask around local vintage shops.

but remember, no 'w' word.

Hatethis22 Wed 11-Nov-15 17:43:14

She's a 12-14. Plus size???

WastedEffort Wed 11-Nov-15 17:44:44

Have a look on Etsy, there are loads of quirky wedding dresses on there, some handmade, some vintage. ... Or Candy Anthony if you've got the cash. I nearly got married in one of her Leopard wedding dresses. But went for white in the end.

Vaia Thu 12-Nov-15 15:01:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HarleyQuinne Thu 12-Nov-15 20:57:34

Oh Vaia that first one is perfect!! I love it!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: