Talk

Advanced search

J Crew Majesty Peacoat: please help with sizing

(6 Posts)
Love2dance Wed 11-Nov-15 12:07:41

Mulling over getting one of these but hesitating as it's very pricey but also:
a) J Crew are supposed to come up a bit big (I'm a UK 8 on top half of body and a 10 below the waist); and
b) This style has changed a bit since last year and has lots of pockets.
Anyone got one who can advise? I would be wearing slim polo neck or possibly warmer jumper underneath. I was thinking of getting a size 4...

louloubelle2 Wed 11-Nov-15 12:14:54

I find J Crew sizing generous. Does that item have any reviews, I usually find them pretty helpful. You might have to switch to the US site to see them?

Love2dance Wed 11-Nov-15 12:21:28

Thanks. The reviews on the US site are so so. Mainly complaints about the change of style. Blogger sites were not bad - just no one with quite my figure type. I guess the question is whether to go down a size or stick to a 4.

louloubelle2 Wed 11-Nov-15 15:36:30

Couldn't look at the actual coat when I posted earlier, but now I have I would say go for your top size, so an 8. The fact you are a 10 below the waist I would say is irrelevant for a coat that length. Also you don't want to go too big, there's a lot going on on the front of that coat with the lapels, pockets and all the buttons, I think a slim fit would look better.

I've just checked and THANKME still works for 20% off, plus go through Quidco for an extra 7% back at a later date.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Wed 11-Nov-15 15:58:37

I have it in navy. I've had it a couple of years, so I would guess it's the old style? It is lovely and warm but I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for J Crew over here. I got mine in the sale for £150 or so.

Size wise, I am a solid 10 and got a 4. I could definitely wear a polo neck under or maybe a thicker jumper, but don't see it ever being cold enough, it's a really warm coat. If you want it to be slim fitting I would probably go for a 2 if you're an 8 (and it is quite fitted at the waist unlike some more "boyfriend" style peacoats).

One final thing... the buttons on mine have been utterly shoddy. Of the 6 on the front, I think 4 fell off last winter. I am a crap sewer (and wanted it done properly) so took it to the menders each time, but it ended up happening so often I got embarrassed and it has had a button missing since last winter. A couple of weeks ago I took it in again and asked them to replace every single button that they thought needed it. Bad job J crew!

Love2dance Thu 12-Nov-15 10:26:17

Thanks so much for the code louloubelle2 and the tips Blair. I think I might just have to go into the London store and try on first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now