Talk

Advanced search

Ilse Jacobson boots

(26 Posts)
WipsGlitter Tue 10-Nov-15 19:49:57

Has anyone got these (apart from DMBL40!). They look pretty waterproof which is what I'm after.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 10-Nov-15 20:44:33

I've had some for about five years and they are really good. Wore a pair today - I have both the short and the tall version, I wear the short ankle boots more often. They come up big, I sized down and there is still room for chunky socks.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 10-Nov-15 20:46:46

Oh and they are totally waterproof (the lace area is watertight) and extremely durable.

WipsGlitter Tue 10-Nov-15 20:50:53

Thanks. I have big calves so am worried they won't fit. Might be better with shorter ones...

pocketandsweet Tue 10-Nov-15 20:52:50

I have a tall pair and a short pair ( actually based partially on frugals recommendation). I thoroughly love them. Very waterproof and actually comfortable to walk long distances in ( which I don't usually find to be the case with welly type boots).

pocketandsweet Tue 10-Nov-15 20:57:23

Just saw your newest post. I have very large calves ( muscle and ahem not muscle). Because of the way the lacing works I would think that most calves would be fine. I noticed a woman wearing them the other day and she had very thin legs and I would guess she keeps them tied up and just slips them on. With my wide calves I have to tie them on each time but they easily accommodate them.

HeyMicky Tue 10-Nov-15 21:22:00

I have massive calves and I love mine. Very comfy for walking as PP has said.

Notcontent Tue 10-Nov-15 21:59:52

I have the mid-height ones and I love them.

cressetmama Wed 11-Nov-15 09:10:40

I had the long ones a few years ago, and also have strong calves, no problem at all, and I didn't even relax the laces. They are comfortable but mine eventually had to go because I wore the tread off the soles and they became very slippery. I was thinking about some new (short) ones and it is the only thing holding me back. Can anyone tell me whether they have moulded sole lugs or pressed rib type?

araminem Wed 11-Nov-15 13:20:51

I'm interested! However can find various forms of Ilse Jacobsen boots. Any specifically you recommend?

FrustratedFrugal Wed 11-Nov-15 16:47:21

This is my favorite pair. I walk a couple of miles to work every day and can confirm that these are great for walking during Nordic winters, also in wet snow.. Under the laces there is a hidden accordion type mechanism, so I don't think calf width will be a problem for anyone. You can have tree trunk calves and it would be fine.

FrustratedFrugal Wed 11-Nov-15 17:05:33

Araminem your question is way too technical for me, I had too google the terminology and I'm still unsure I got it right. How the sole is attached to the boot: there is some stiching, it looks like the Goodyear welt here but I'm not an expert. The treads are really deep, I've worn them on icy streets a lot and they are not as slippy as regular wellies.

FrustratedFrugal Wed 11-Nov-15 17:06:29

Sorry meant Cresset <ADHD>

LondonHuffyPuffy Wed 11-Nov-15 17:06:30

I also have massive calves and my IJ wellies are the only ones I have ever found which I can comfortably fit into. I love them!

cressetmama Wed 11-Nov-15 17:25:27

Sorry to confuse Frugal. If the soles are along the lines of the picture attached, then IJ has changed them from the ones I had all those years ago... 9 or 10. Then they were quite smooth, with a simple ridge pattern under the sole, and eventually they wore out. May investigate a replacement pair as they are much more elegant than my current wellies.

araminem Wed 11-Nov-15 17:30:51

Thanks for the answer Frugal. But phew! Had to go back and check what I wrote...Didn't think I knew anything technical about shoes grin

BringMeTea Wed 11-Nov-15 23:44:03

Got the mid height. Expensive indeed but I love 'em.

BrendaandEddie Thu 12-Nov-15 07:38:06

but htey are SOOOO ugly

cressetmama Thu 12-Nov-15 09:31:26

As wellies go, Brenda, they are tres chic! See Dubarry for really ugly and very expensive wellies, or Joules or Seasalt to understand what nasty is!

BrendaandEddie Thu 12-Nov-15 13:18:55

No. All mingling. Worn by frumps

cressetmama Thu 12-Nov-15 15:55:47

So recommend the wellies you would deign to give houseroom wear? It's a functional item, for people doing things outdoors in wet muddy conditions, usually involving animals larger than handbags.

ledgeoffseason Thu 12-Nov-15 19:19:31

Well if they are mingling, all the better, brenda, always useful to have a sociable boot esp as parties.

Frankly I long for the day when I can look as frumpy as old dmbl40. Was just coveting her boots today so thanks for the info all.

Bananajam Thu 12-Nov-15 19:47:33

Ha ha! Love the idea of buying a pair of Ilse Jacobsen boots to frumpily mingle in. I think I shall put some on my Christmas list grin

FrustratedFrugal Fri 13-Nov-15 12:47:18

I live in the far North and am happily descending into perimenopause. The beauty of this phase of life is that I no longer need to try very hard. How would you accessorize a fleece and a cagoule? wink

La73 Wed 25-Nov-15 23:20:58

I have long ones and love them - huge calves and fit fine and always gets loads of compliments. Not frumpy, stylish - very Nordic chic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now