Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh help with my grey hair!

(15 Posts)
Mrsmorton Tue 10-Nov-15 08:24:09

The greys are everywhere now, I've only just noticed. I'm not hugely into cosmetics, I don't wear makeup and I don't even have a hairdryer and I don't have the time or money to sit in a hairdressers for hours with foil on my head so what can I do?

I'd like to just buy some light brown hair dye (my hair is dark brown) which will cover the greys but not bleach the rest of my hair or make it darker than it is. Does this exist? Tell me I can do it myself? The thought of sitting in front of a mirror at the hairdresser for half a day makes me feel a bit shit tbh.

Thank you in advance.

73dexter Tue 10-Nov-15 08:26:44

Could you just stick with the grey? There was a thread on here a while ago about embracing grey hair. It seems a lot easier than faffing around with dye.

73dexter Tue 10-Nov-15 08:33:02

I think it was this thread.

fieldfare Tue 10-Nov-15 08:39:03

Go and have a look in the supermarket at semi permanent dyes, choose one a few shades lighter than your own main colour, like a light caramel brown type of colour, or pale chocolate my last one was called I think. It's enough to colour the greys but not significantly change my overall colour.
Different brands suit different people, I rate Loreal casting really highly but have to leave it on about 10 mins longer than specified as my greys are really coarse in texture.
Make sure the colour doesn't have a red hue as then when the colour washes out and fades the greys go pink.
Don't forget to do a strand test.

Mrsmorton Tue 10-Nov-15 08:43:47

Thank you Dexter, I'll have a look. I may well embrace them, just want to scope all my options first!

field, thank you. I will get to the shops and have a look.

maybemyrtle Tue 10-Nov-15 08:45:43

Honestly I'd leave them. Once you start colouring you climb on the treadmill of dealing with roots, which will only get worse and more pressing. This is true even with semis like Casting, which will just rinse off grey hairs sooner or later anyway... bitter

IsItMeOr Tue 10-Nov-15 08:46:19

What 73dexter said.

I have sat in too many meetings where I have noticed that many men have grey hairs and none of the women (apart from me) do, despite many being in their 50s.

There is nothing wrong with grey hair, and we don't need to accept societal norms that are stupid.

Tootsiepops Tue 10-Nov-15 08:47:51

I vote to embrace the grey! I'm 36 and totally silver now and have never had so many compliments about my hair. Go for it!

Mrsmorton Tue 10-Nov-15 08:50:02

Ok. I'm 34 btw but inspired by this. Tbh most days, putting a bra on is hard work for me so I'm not sure dyeing is within my capabilities.

DoreenLethal Tue 10-Nov-15 08:52:21

I am 48 and since the greys started coming it means I can forget all the dying. I love them and can't wait for them to be all grey.

Once that happens I might get me a punky haircut and start putting wild streaks in which is how I started when I was a teenager - Bright orange or violet springs to mind. Although greys take colour differently but I shall consult my local hair expert on that.

Madelinehatter Tue 10-Nov-15 09:01:21

I am struggling too with grey. I was mousey blonde for hers and had highlights. As the grey started, started with lowlights too. However I am spending a lot of time and cash in the hairdressers!

Noticed my hair is pretty much grey all over now. Is silvery. I am biting the bullet and giving it a go. I wear my hair short so if I have a choppy trendy cut then I can hopefully avoid looking too old!

Itsalldramarama Tue 10-Nov-15 09:58:47

If you have never coloured before think about staying natural! I wish I had never started ! Do you want to be on the tread mill of root touch ups and brassy colour ? I've been growing mine out for 5 months now ! Loving the results so far smile check out some grey groups on fb for inspiration!

hellsbellsmelons Tue 10-Nov-15 15:41:50

This is one thing I treat myself to and that is blonde colour done at the hairdressers.
They put the dye on - leave you for 35 minutes then wash it off.
It's not hours and hours, honest.
Then you just go back every 6-8 weeks for a regrowth tint.
As you have grey and natural colour hair it will look like you have highlights.
I tried embracing the grey but just couldn't.
Going darker it just horrible because you see the roots really quickly.
Going lighter is far easier to hide the greys which is exactly why I had to grow out my over coloured dark hair and then have the colour put in.

amarmai Tue 10-Nov-15 16:02:21

started off hiding the grey and as the years went by found it more and more a chore and an expense so went all grey and thought it was ok for a few years, then got bored and NOW i am home dying with all the colors of the rainbow-1 at a time lol- using semi perm and really liking the effect as the grey takes the color clearly and the dark hairs are still dark - using pastels.Fun!

embrace it, I totally wish I had as I think judging from my roots and sides that it would be a nice colour if I had left it. as it is I have recently tried to strip out the very very dark brown ends of colour from years of permanent dyes, ended up a few shades lighter with a gingery tinge which is not bad but my roots are very blonde / white / grey all looks a mess so I am considering trying to even it all up with an 8 wash light ash brown? will this work does any one know? if I suited short hair I swear I would just crop the lot and embrace but it has taken me years to get my hair just past shoulder length and I love it so can't bear going short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now