Talk

Advanced search

What's your beauty routine leading up to a big night out?

(8 Posts)
UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 09-Nov-15 20:58:20

Black tie do in 10 days. What do you do to look your best on the night? Facial? Brows? Any special secrets to looking less hag like dewy-faced and groomed?

There will also be a LOT of photos. I normally look like a shiny faced lush loon in photos on nights out. How does one avoid this? Do I just have to lay off the vino?

Thanks smile

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 09-Nov-15 21:03:02

Meant to say, I have booked myself into a hair dresser to get it put up for the night, so don't need to worry about that.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 09-Nov-15 21:10:14

My prep for a big night out is much the same as for day to day, with extra eyeliner, however I am a big fan of a brightening facial mask thing earlier in the day or the night before. I like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm applied as a thick layer, left for 15 minutes and then removed with a flannel. Superdrug Naturally Radiant mask is good too - and v cheap. A good brow threading session always perks up my face too, and I'd give myself plenty of time to have a bath, then shower/hair on the day.

My skin can react badly to facials, so I'd avoid that too close to the event personally - is there another lovely relaxing treatment you could book instead? (Manicure/pedicure? Hot stone massage?)

Have a fabulous time - and I bet you'll look great!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 09-Nov-15 21:11:59

Oh, just seen your update - at my hairdresser you can have someone do your nails at the same time as your hair's being done to save time!

MaybeDoctor Mon 09-Nov-15 21:27:32

I have realised over the years that actually doing less is more before a big event. e.g. an exfoliating scrub, face pack or similar on the day will just lead to redness, aggravating spots etc.

My prep for a black-tie do is:

Night before - use Dermalogica microfoliant

Morning - pluck eyebrows and any stray hairs. Put something calming on any blemishes.

5pm - eat something filling and a bit fatty, such as a croissant. Drink a cup of tea and a bottle of water.

6pm - begin getting ready, concentrating on areas in rotation (hair, makeup, jewellery, dressing), rather than getting my hair looking like 18thC Duchess of Devonshire but lacking clothes, jewellery or make up.

6.55pm - step into dress, ignoring DH's protestations that 'everyone will be down already'.

7pm - go down to almost-empty reception, safe in the knowledge that my 5pm snack will see me through until 'dinner is served'.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 09-Nov-15 21:39:26

Thank you! My brows may need professional attention tbh blush

KateSpadeAddict Mon 09-Nov-15 22:00:27

Do you wear powder on your face at all? I’d carry and reapply that to try to avoid your shiny face fear.
I also think that after a glass of wine people generally smile ‘wider’ (mouth and eyes!) making them look a little loopy on nights out. Try not to do this for better results - I have yet to be able to do this. Also encourage pictures early on in the night and avoid them later on - something I am good at!

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Tue 10-Nov-15 12:52:09

Do your eyebrows the day before to save time and avoid any pinkness. Pick out your jewellery the day before as well to save any last minute "oh fuck what earrings should I wear" moments.

Basically it's just about taking a bit more time to put make up on properly, and maybe putting on a bit more than you would usually bother to.

For example, I would normally use a cream concealer just to even out any uneven patches and cover spots, use a pencil to give my eyebrows some definition, and curl my eyelashes. Maybe some mascara.

For a special night out, I would use a thin layer of foundation in addition to my normal concealing, make sure I had concealed any remaining patchy bits really well, spend longer making sure my eyebrows are really well done, use eyeliner along with more mascara, put on a bit of blusher, and use a tinted lip balm. Maybe some highlighter if I am feeling super fancy.

To avoid the shiny look you need to use a slightly matte foundation and/or a thin layer of powder on top which will absorb oil. During the evening you can use loo roll to "blot" your face to absorb any excess oil, and then put a tiny bit more powder on (if you bring it with you). But always blot before adding any more powder, otherwise it will just look cakey and disgusting.

The best advice I ever had make up wise was to make sure you use thin layers of everything. You can always build it up if you need to, but thin layers last much longer and look more natural. Plus it's easier not to fuck them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now