Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i just sampled Calvin Klein obsession - twenty years after everyone else!

(55 Posts)
BrendaandEddie Mon 09-Nov-15 16:15:09

Is it wrong to REALLY like it?
I don't know how it passed me by before

FrustratedFrugal Mon 09-Nov-15 16:46:37

It's a classic oriental. Very few good ones available these days, you found a great classic. You'll probably like other orientals too, and it can get expensive - vintage and niche wink

SuperFlyHigh Mon 09-Nov-15 16:49:18

OP it's fab and was one my first faves... I was 17 or 18 when it came out. I'm sure I still have it.

If you like that try Byzance by Rochas which is not exactly similar but sort of and released same year. YSL Cinema which I DO have isn't far off too.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 09-Nov-15 16:50:17

Michael Kors Sexy Amber is I think a classic oriental too... Or someone correct me.

BrendaandEddie Mon 09-Nov-15 16:58:33

its rilly cheap now too

Featherstep Tue 10-Nov-15 01:44:37

I love it for autumn and winter BUT feel guilty about loving it and spray just a little. It just makes me feel all warm and cozy all over and sexy too.

I too never went through the 'absolutely everyone is wearing Obsession in huge doses yuk' phase.

What else is like it? I remember liking Cinema, but thought it was not compelling enough to retry.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 10-Nov-15 16:29:16

feather I think Michael Kors Sexy Amber isn't far off Obsession. I agree with you re Cinema which is why it's not been totally used up since its purchase.

I did wear Obsession in huge doses but hey it was the late 80s/early 90s!

ouryve Tue 10-Nov-15 16:32:58

It's the one perfume I could ever wear without getting a headache. Comes out really sandalwood-y on me.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 10-Nov-15 16:33:58

On one site it says Obsession is a spicy oriental not classic. Classic orientalist are apparently Jicky, Shalimar etc.

The reformulated Obseession is said not to be as strong as the original.

MissBattleaxe Tue 10-Nov-15 16:37:14

I loved Obsession and might go and get a bottle now the hate has died down a bit. It may have been unpopular because its sillage was nuclear. One or two sprays was plenty!

Featherstep Tue 10-Nov-15 16:55:15

Never heard of Sexy Amber but will have a spray soon - thanks for the rec!

BrendaandEddie Tue 10-Nov-15 17:17:33

i dont care if its a classic or an oriental!! grin

Seriously who does?!

LondonHuffyPuffy Tue 10-Nov-15 17:22:18

I thought this thread was going to be full of loathing for Obsession! I love it. Was bought a bottle last Xmas by DStepDad, have nearly finished it. A little still goes a long way!

SuperFlyHigh Tue 10-Nov-15 17:41:59

But Brenda the purists do.... grin

They were cackling over Sexy Amber comparing it to Allure - when I hear Allure I think of Miranda.... Bwaahaha!

BrendaandEddie Sat 14-Nov-15 12:19:28

LO! It arrived today!
From Elysian - £23 or something

CointreauVersial Sat 14-Nov-15 13:19:12

It was one of my faves, back when it first came out. I walked around the first year of uni in a cloud of it.

Then I veered off into green/aqua fragrances (like everyone else in the 1990s) and forgot all about it.

Now my tastes have swung back to the spicy/amber/woody fragrances, and I love it again. Don't overdo it, though...

TSSDNCOP Sat 14-Nov-15 13:52:43

I bought Eternity just the other day, never having worn it before like everyone I knew in the 90's.

Perhaps Calvins having a retro moment.

violetsarentblue Sat 14-Nov-15 13:59:00

It's very dated now.
There are so many other perfumes out there that are better than this stinker.
All the people I knew who wore it, used to wear it to mask other smells such as smoking and BO.

Smoking + BO + Calvin Klein Obsession. loverly

violetsarentblue Sat 14-Nov-15 14:01:37

I think very young women can get away with wearing a dated perfume like Obsession and it smells nice on them. They can get away with it.
But, if a woman who wore it first time around tries to wear it again, it just smells, well Dated.

Bit like flares?

Donge13 Sat 14-Nov-15 14:02:29

I loved it for a night out. I thought I was sophisticated because I wore it grin I still like the smell and don't care if it is datedblush

BrendaandEddie Sat 14-Nov-15 14:06:03

ThTs nice violet. Sorry about your odour problem

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 14-Nov-15 14:35:59

Reminds me of school discos. Wearing a body top, teenage boy's fingers fumbling over the crotch poppers..........

Ahhhh, memories.....

I really like it. Haven't owned it for a year or two, but certainly in the last five.

73dexter Sat 14-Nov-15 16:47:18

I have just bought a bottle too! I love it and haven't had it for years.

BrendaandEddie Sat 14-Nov-15 17:12:25

it lasts good and proper too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now