Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I am fat and short - is it possible to get opaque tights that don't do a Nora Batty?

(13 Posts)
PenryPooch Mon 09-Nov-15 14:51:47

Just that really. I'm a size 20 and 5ft 4 - is there a magic plus-size opaque brand that I am unaware of?!

PenryPooch Mon 09-Nov-15 14:52:42

To clarify - I mean tights that will not bunch around the ankle! Just realised that Nora Batty may not be universally understood.

HopefulAnxiety Mon 09-Nov-15 15:03:24

Marking place, drives me bonkers.

Thurlow Mon 09-Nov-15 15:04:19

I'm short, and I just pull the tights now and bit and tuck the excess under my feet inside my shoes. Works wonders.

derxa Mon 09-Nov-15 15:05:01

You sound lovely Penry No help with tights though.

PenryPooch Mon 09-Nov-15 15:19:38

Thurlow - are you not just continually adjusting though?! I really want to wear my shoes with dresses for nights out but end up wearing a 'shoot' to conceal the bunch - which is okay - but sometimes not feminine enough for the dress/occasion.

Obviously the answer is to lose the weight but that's fairly long-term in outlook and winter is here NOW!

Thurlow Mon 09-Nov-15 15:58:36

No, I can't say I am! Though if the tights are really long - happens more with nude tights in the summer - I just tie a knot in them and cut off the excess blush

wannanewone Mon 09-Nov-15 16:09:07

Met an elderly lady the other day who shortened her tights. Chopped off excess at foot and sewed them closed again
again.

TheGrallon Mon 09-Nov-15 16:32:23

If you do find the holy grail, tell me - I can't see me trying to sew two halves of a pair of Boots' opaque tights together anytime soon!! It's such a pain.....

PenryPooch Mon 09-Nov-15 17:02:14

I am challenged in the homemakingsewingcupcakebakingetcetc department so suspect that sewing up some tights would be beyond me.

I live in hope that something exists. I'll report back if I find anything...!

MagicalHamSandwich Mon 09-Nov-15 17:06:17

I'm not short anymore but was a bit of a late bloomer in terms of reaching my adult height. When I was a teen I'd shorten them by hacking the feet off and sewing new toe seams using a really tight zig-zag stitch. Works like a charm.

Only works if you happen to have access to a sewing machine, though.

MagicalHamSandwich Mon 09-Nov-15 17:07:46

No need for particular giftedness, btw, if teen me could do it in spite of failing every knitting assignment ever so can you! ??

PenryPooch Mon 09-Nov-15 17:17:19

I do have a sewing machine (which is ridonkulous given my crapness) but maybe I will give it a go...wish me luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: